VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I'm trying to put some subtitles onto an avi. Iv'e tried with Virtualdubmod and I get the error -2 message, and in GK I get an 'attempted to request an YV12 frame that wasnt mod2 in width and height' message.

s there any way I can force either programme to work? Or is there a programme thatll rejig my avi so its the right width and height?

Thanks in advance

Chirufan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Resize the frame to multiples of 2 (even better, 16), both width and height. For example 576x432 is very good, 579x432 won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right. How do I do that, lol??

Do I have to download a certain program or can I do it in virtualdub or GK?

CHirufan.

EDIT FOund the resize filter in VDM thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, one morer question - does resizing it take a long time - its giving me a projected time of three days to do it.

Chirufan
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Three days sound a bit too long yes. . But if you have a old computer, using 2-pass encoding and is encoding a 5 hours video clip it could take that long.

What video codec are you using? under video->compression.
    How long is the video clip?
    And do you have a "slow" computer? Under CPU under your Profile have you listed don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yeah, I have an athlon 64 53500+.

Im using divx 5.2.1 codec, standard encoding, 1-pass, and the avi is 6 mins long, 10meg in size. the ave bitrate is 780 kbps if that helps. the only filter Im using is the resize one (from 320x239 to 320x240) and at full processing.

Chirufan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by chirufan
    Ah yeah, I have an athlon 64 53500+.
    That whould be super fast! I suspect you mean 3500+ though. Or maybe 5400+.

Originally Posted by chirufan
    Im using divx 5.2.1 codec, standard encoding, 1-pass, and the avi is 6 mins long, 10meg in size. the ave bitrate is 780 kbps if that helps. the only filter Im using is the resize one (from 320x239 to 320x240) and at full processing.
    The resize filter in VirtualDub is pretty fast. The settings you gave should encode pretty quickly. My computer is faster than yours (Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz) but using only the resize filter with a 320x240 source resized to 320x244, and Divx at 6.8 its "balanced" setting, a 10 minute video would take about a minute to encode. Even in "Insane" mode it would only take about 3 minutes.

Divx 6.x is faster than Divx 5.x, but not the huge amount you are seeing. Try pressing the Restore Defaults button on the Divx Codec Properties dialog. This will reset the codec in case you accidentally made some changes that might have caused the massive slowdown. See if that makes any difference.

Try reencoding using Fast Recompress mode. No filtering is done in that mode but it will help you determine if the slowness you are seeing is in the resizing (and related processing) or the compressing.

The problem could also be something about your source file. Do you see the same slowness when using a different source?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to re-encode it by just choosing 'save as' without using any filters, and choosing fast recompress, and it gave me an error message 'video format negotiation failed: use slo-repack or full mode'

Just in case I'm doing something wrong, Ill list everything I can find out about whatIm tryinfg to do with VirtualDubMod.

I'm using VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2

I want to put an SSA subtitle file onto the avi. I made the sub file in URUSofts subtitle workshop.

The avi is 10.4mb, and its size (given to me by the filter message in VDB is 320x239. When I choose 'resize', it suggests 320x240 as the closest neghbour. I've been choosing that.

The avi plays fine in realplayer, btw.

When I load the avi into VDB, I get the 'VBR audio stream detected' error message, and it asks me if I want it to re-write the header. I say NO.

I have chosen divx as the compression. in the configuration menu for divx that comes up if I choose 'configure', the default settings are:

Home theatre profile, standard encode performance, avg bitrape of 780kbps, 1-pass encoding and a max bitrate of 6951.2.
    When I choose defaults and click OK I get an additional screen telling me Im also using bi-directional encoding (B-frames) for smalelr file sizes from the trial version of DivX Pro (I have 15 days left on this trial).

In the Options drop down menu, preview input and output and sync to audio are ticked.

OK, so when I choose 'subtitler' as the filter, I get the error-2 code. So Im trying to resize it. Same setup as above described, but using 'resize' as the only filter - from 320x239 to 320x240

I accept that and choose 'save as'

avi, full processing, video frames per segment limited to 100, segment size limited to 60meg.

Save, and it starts encoding. thread priority is normal. Its been encoding about a minute now, and the estimated time remaining is 1hr 20mins and counting...up. lol.

Theres one green pip of the progress bar.

Projected file size is 24254k

video rendering is 0.0fps

I have subbed a few similar avis in the recent past without problem, but none of those needed resizing.

Anything else I can provide? Any ideas?

Chirufan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Never mind. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by chirufan
    Save, and it starts encoding. thread priority is normal. Its been encoding about a minute now, and the estimated time remaining is 1hr 20mins and counting...up. lol.
    Is the "Current video frame" counter (top line) incrementing? Very slowly?

Try a different codec. Uncompressed, just as a test.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    current video frame increments to 42/8044 and then stops there. I tried it three times, same figures.

Uncompressed test (with the resize filter on) gets the same result. it goes to 42/8044 and sticks.

WHat does that mean? and what do I do next?

Chirufan.

ps thanks for all your help, all, btw.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried subbing with another avi. 4 mins long, 9,5meg, works fine in realplayer. Didnt get an error message as its already 240x320. Same thing happened with the current video frame couinter. . stopped at 42/7399
    Quote Quote  
  13. Can you try encoding without the subtitler? Does it stall at frame 42 as well?

(Just trying to narrow down what is causing the problem)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yep, encoding with no filters on using divx stalls at frame 42 as well.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Try encoding, using xvid or AVC/h.264 and no filters, maybe DIVX is causing it. Stall @ 42?

If it still stalls, prehaps there is a problem with your original AVI? Run it through mediainfo (view->text)

Perhaps there is a bad video or audio frame causing the stall?
    Quote Quote  
  16. All your tests indicate that VirtualDub is having trouble reading your source file. After opening the file select Video -> Scan Video Stream For Errors. See if it gets through the file. Try just playing the file with the >I (preview input) button, or File -> Preview Input.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I scanned the video stream for errors - no errors reported.

Playing both the avis with Preview Input, they get to frame 41 and freeze.

Trying to encode with XviD Mpeg 4 codec and no filters gets me 'cannot start video compression. An unknown error ovvurred (may be corrupt data) (error code-100)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RIght. I just tried to sub a vid that successfully subbed 2 weeks ago, using the same process, avi and .ssa file. it also stalls at frame 42.

I also got the VBR error message at the start with this, but I cant remember now if I was getting that with the earlier, successfull subs.

Maybe I should just try to uninstall VirtualDubMod etc , re-install it and see if it works?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I downloaded VirtualDub again, and I still get the same problem. This is driving me crazy. Is there another program I can use to put hard subs onto an avi?

Chirufan
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've uninstalled everything virtualdubmod, GL, all my codecs etc) and re downlaoded them and set it all up, and the avis are still stalling at frame 42. I tried with a few other avis and they work. SO I guess its the avis that are the problem. is there any way I can force Virtual dyubmod to ignore that frame 42?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Success! In the end I deleted the avis and transferred them again to my pc. they work now, proving that it was thwe avis that were at fault, not my codecs or virtualdubmod

Thanks very much for all the help, though.. nice helpful forum, this.

Chirufan
    Quote Quote