VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, there,

I searched this site for VSDC Video Editor but nothing at all came up. Was wondering if this was so new no-one had stumbled upon it yet (???). I found this editor a few hours ago in an extensive google search for freeware video editors with timelines that didn't need the .NET framework, etc.

I've got my video needs covered except for one item - there are a lot of free exercise videos on YouTube which I like to dl now and then. But they include extra footage that I like to cut out and keep separate. I like the exercise portions separate from the tutorial portions, as it were. Then I add titles and duration text, etc., etc. Up until now, I've done this in a roundabout way - first converting into a file format any of my video editors can handle, THEN applying cuts, fades, text, etc., then re-encoding. I've lived with pixelation and LQ because we're talking exercise vids here and not movies <g>, but I'm tired of the run-around. It would be nice to be able to edit flv and other web video formats directly and _then_ saving to AVI that my media player and standalone DVD player can then play with all the minor but necessary editing I've done to the files.

AVS Video Editor gave the best, most perfect results but it's not free and just can't put this one in the budget. But I did find the freeware VSDC Video Editor that does a decent job even if missing some text options AVS has. But I haven't been able to apply fades in and out. I select adding video effect, and select fade in and it ends up on the timeline above everything else but nothing happens when you preview the effect. Unlike more intuitive editors - this one is definitely VERY clunky in many, many ways - you can't just apply the fade to the clip itself, VSDC seems to need to add an external element on the timeline to deal with fades. Which suggests you need to apply it somehow. YouTube yielded a couple of tutorials that helped up till now but nothing comes up anywhere re applying fades.

Does anyone know how to "apply" the fade-ins and fade-outs by any chance?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I added VSDC to our tools list. Even though it doesn't sound that goood....

Maybe the preview doesn't support transitions? Have you tried build project/convert?
    Last edited by Baldrick; 2nd Jan 2013 at 07:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, there! Thanks.

It's actually not a bad editor at all. I edited the flv however I could and then built the AVI file and the results are quite satisfactory. Not a fantastic editor, but if one can figure out the basics, it'll do for many uses - and it's FREE, which can't be beat <lol>.

The thing is that the app lacks a help file at this time and there's not much information on their site that I could see. There is a support email we can use to ask questions but I'd like to leave that as a last resort. When one goes to add a fade effect one does see the following blurb at the bottom of the "Object position settings" box where one sets some of the settings for the fade effect like position and duration:

After applying settings to the object (not to effect) set it position on the scene's editor!!!

It may be a clue as to why I haven't gotten this to work. This app is clunky for just this type of thing. Lack of intuitive, efficient means of editing. I think the above blurb means that after adding the Fade effect to the timeline I'm supposed to apply it to the blocks of text somehow (?). Unfortunately, there no further clue as to how to do that - if, indeed, that blurb is an indicator on why the fades aren't working right now.

Anyway, hopefully sometime soon a solution will be found. I'll keep the original file until such time. I can live with the fade-in-less results I have now. Beats all the extra work and re-encoding I'd have to do to get a similar end result with any of the other editors I have that don't support FLV <g>.

Thanks and cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've actually been using it for some time now. It's one of the few freeware editors with advanced features such as chroma key, picture in picture. But as many have discovered, it's not very inutive to use. Because of this, have upped several unofficial tutorials to YouTube to help people get started.

Basic editing, merging, splitting, cutting, AND transitions.
    Chroma key (green screen) editing
    Picture in picture editing

Hope these help. I do apologize for the quality of the "Picture in Picture" tutorial. The source videos were low-res, and I use a $4 webcam microphone for the singing. I'm definitely not a singer also As VSDC has recently been added to the tools, I'll also input these videos in the tutorial section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and also remember to have fun with this program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for those links. So I found all the YouTube tutorials then, all 3 that you mention, when I went looking for information initially. Good to know I didn't miss any. Those tutorials are great and are what allowed me to get as far as I did before I posted this thread here. I could not finish my project as I couldn't see anywhere how to apply fade ins and fade outs to all the videos tracks, but they sure helped tremendously.

I actually found the best workaround, though. For those that have Any Video Converter and Womble DVD Wizard, I got desired results that were actually quite lossless despite converting FLV to MPG2 first, editing then re-encoding to AVI. Womble handles MPEG just like it does VOBs, virtually just direct-stream copying so I then able to do all I needed to do to the file (cut pieces of, add text, add fades, etc.) and then in a few seconds Womble converted the result to direct-stream MPEG via choosing output to NTSC DVD and then re-encoded to AVI.

I can't afford anything right now so freeware was the way I'd have liked to go and to directly edit the FLV and convert to AVI with the same app but until applying fades in VSCD is achieved, this other way works exceptionally well. One day when money is better I may consider AVS as it had the best yet simple text effect I need that hardly any editors do, that of being able to outline text. That is, either have a thin white border around black text, or a thin black border around white text. That would make text easier to read without having to add a background box to text the way I always have to do in Womble since straight, one-colour text is very difficult to read once it's added to any video.

But anyway thanks just the same. Perhaps someone along the road will figure out how to apply the fades in VSCD and will post how to do so here. I really just didn't get how to do that <g>.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's another great freeware editor that just came out that might be perfect for what you want to do. It also hasn't made the tools list yet here at videohelp, but I'm sure it will one day. The program is FileLab. It runs in your browser as a plug-in, and as such works on just about all platforms. It also surprisingly has many features. The downside is that it requires internet connection, and you can't just stop a project midstream and come back to it later (no project save). Here's a link to the FileLab website. I also have put up quite a few tutorials on FileLab on YouTube. Just go there and type FileLab in the search bar, you'll see what I mean
    Last edited by t00nz843z; 5th Jan 2013 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and one more by-the-way, every one of those tutorials (including the ones for VSDC) were made with FileLab.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi, there. Good to know. A browser plugin that needs an internet connection doesn't work for me personally, but what a neat idea and will be helpful for many, I'm sure.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    open
    \Program Files\FlashIntegro\VideoEditor\VideoConverter.chm

it is a help file for their video converter- but might give you some tips.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Found this thread about the VSDC editor and wanted to ask if you guys know if it's possible to produce an output movie with VSDC that will alternate between 3 clips like seen in this video where the guy is using Vegas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1VkY6v3Ll4

I only want this particular effect and would be very happy if I didn't have to spend lots of money buying Vegas if this is also possible to do with VSDC or any other freeware software for that matter you could recommend?

Many thanks in advance!
    //Richard
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think I have figured this out (at least it worked for me on my XP machine):
    1) highlight the sprite that holds the video and in the sprite object settings set "Trim the edges" and "Show effects" = 'true'.

2) Add the fade in and fade out so that it shows up under the sprite that you want to put the effect on. It should show up as a child of the sprite in object explorer.

3) Any video, images or text you want affected should also be under the same sprite.

It took a few trys to get the parent/child relationships set correctly. It involves highlighting the sprite (either in the left pane or bottom pane, not sure which worked for me) that you want to place the effect or object on on.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,I've just started using VSDC. I've had no problems adding the fade-in and fade-out on the video image (sprite) but when I try to use the audio effects to fade-in or fade-out the sound, it has no effect. I've tried it on both a video with its own sound track, and also on a separately imported mp3 file. Any ideas?
    Phil.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm completely new to video editing and this thing is giving me fits. I've tried loading both MP4 conversions and straight from disk files, but I can't access the cutting options in the properties window. In fact, I can only get to the cutter using "save file/project", and then it doesn't cut anything.
    Quote Quote  
  15. is there a way to not loose video quality when you crop the video i am using an HD camera and when i crop an save the file in .avi format it looks like i took the video on a roller coaster with an old cell phone.

Any help would be much appriciated
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi All,

I have watched all the chromakey tutorials on youtube and I tried several times to follow the exact steps, but for some reason when applying the background remover effect all the video disappears immediately no green and no other colors appear. I also tried it with a downloaded video of the UFO over a uniform green background and also the UFO disappeared with the background.

Please help me figure this out.
    Quote Quote