Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.282
    Writing library : x264 core 135 r2345 f0c1c53
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=24 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=14020 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=30000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.10 / aq=1:1.00
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

assuming it was done with ripbot.. Any idea guys?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cant be accurate , but its a 2 pass , Variable bitrate mode with minimum bitrate as 14Mb/s and max bitrate as 30Mb/s . Its almost a normal 1080p video encode setting .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    is this a joke question? the media info output you posted is showing you the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    is this a joke question? the media info output you posted is showing you the settings.

it is media info setting, but what exactly would i choose in ripbot to achieve those settings in a new encode?

is it placibo, fast? tune for grain, animation, etc etc
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    Is that a joke reply? Or you really didn't understand the question?

Originally Posted by nstream View Post
    it is media info setting, but what exactly would i choose in ripbot to achieve those settings in a new encode?
    I've never used Ripbot, but the encode seems to be "kind of" aiming for Bluray compatibility. Do you actually need that? Unless you're planning on creating a Bluray video compliant disc you shouldn't. Bluray compatibility males it a little harder for the encoder to compress the video (a few extra encoding restrictions) which means.... in theory.... for a given bitrate the quality will be a little lower, or for a given CRF value the file size will be a little larger (somewhere between 10 and 15 percent if memory serves me correctly).

Anyway, I don't think those settings are anything special/clever.

Here's all the commandline required for a normal, forget about Bluray, Level 4.1 encode which would give you "the guts" of those settings. You'd just need to specify a bitrate or CRF value.:

--level 4.1 --preset slower --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500
    Then you can throw in the Bluray compatibility stuff which gets you even closer (vbv maxrate = 40000 is the requirement for Bluray):

--level 4.1 --bluray-compat --preset slower --open-gop --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000
    And finally you can tweak a few settings in ways which don't quite make sense to me (open gop is a good idea for Bluray compliant encoding and I'm not sure why b-pyramid is disabled). I'm pretty sure you'll have the settings you posted if you use the following commandline.

--level 4.1 --bluray-compat --preset slower --b-adapt 1 --b-pyramid none --ipratio 1.1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 30000
    Here's the MediaInfo report if you want to compare. The number of ref frames is higher but the encoder will adjust that according to the resolution. Keyint is 25 instead of 24 because of the different frame rate.

cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=25 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=25 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=30000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.10 / aq=1:1.00
    I think the moral of the story might be not to use someone else's settings unless you have a particular reason for doing so.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th May 2014 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hello_hello, thanks mate. you nicely covered what i was looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just realised I made a little mistake earlier, and I've no idea why it just popped into my head, but in the interest of accuracy..... if you care....

I used MeGUI to run the test encode while selecting Bluray as the target playback device in MeGUI's encoder configuration, which is was just an easy way to get it to add the appropriate stuff to the commandline, but it forces you to use "open_gop=1" (it's not compulsory for Bluray but it's a good idea). I forgot to change that in the settings I posted so I've edited my previous post to do so. MeGUI also automatically sets the appropriate keyint value based on the frame rate and/or the selected playback device, which I also forgot about. Normally you'd need to specify it manually. So.... here's the "corrected" version of the third commandline from my previous post. It's the same as before, with the addition of keyint=24.

--level 4.1 --bluray-compat --preset slower --keyint 24 --b-adapt 1 --b-pyramid none --ipratio 1.1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 30000
    And the resulting encoder settings. Nothing has really changed.

cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=24 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=30000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.10 / aq=1:1.00
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th May 2014 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. cool, thanks. you got in just before i was gonna start encoding. appreciate the help. will let you know how it goes
    Quote Quote  
  9. already said
    I think the moral of the story might be not to use someone else's settings unless you have a particular reason for doing so.
    Using same settings as someone else's, does not ensure same output quality. OP needs to tweak a bit further.
    Quote Quote  
  10. just tried it, its a perfect match, except for threads, which i assume is based on the number of cpu cores.

thanks again hello_hello. appreciate the assist
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nstream View Post
    just tried it, its a perfect match, except for threads, which i assume is based on the number of cpu cores.
    Correct.

I'd still be keen to know why you're trying to match the settings. When you re-encode video the encoder is oblivious to how it was compressed in the first place, so the idea would be to re-compress it as efficiently as possible, or at least using settings which suit your own playback requirements. If that's what those settings do, then fair enough.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i have some backups (rips) of movies from a source, and some other from direct blu ray copies. Just wanted to make rips consistent with the initial rips. thats about it
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!