Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=832732#c7 says:

Gheorghe Sarcov 2013-04-06 15:48:35 PDT

Also the MEGA.co.nz blog says that
    "Mozilla Firefox Carefully avoids providing any API that would allow writing files from JavaScript."
    How dumb is that?

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1658842&t=1376056680&page=1#comment14494572
    says:

10. July 2013, 08:05:47 (edited)

Mega no longer works in any old browsers. It did open for a while in Opera 12 but upload didn't work. Firefox 11 used to work. But now all old browsers are redirected to an upgrade page.

Firefox 22 does work, but I don't think it can be installed under Win98 even with KEX.

Mega is a terrible slow, inefficient, "app" website. It is expected to decide that the current browsers (whatever they are at the moment) are no longer compatible, and the user will have lost access to their files. The files that I uploaded when Mega was first launched can no longer be retrieved, and give a "Decryption Error".

It needs up to 450 Megabytes of RAM (!) under Firefox, which Windows 98 will not let you allocate. All file downloads will be saved to the browser's LocalStorage database, decrypted, and then copied to their destination. This uses a ton of disk space. The LocalStorage remains when Firefox is closed.

Mega is the Skynet, but it plays upon people's desire for privacy.
    Bottom line is, don't use mega.co.nz --- that's all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not saying that this isn't good to know and good advice, because it is both of those, but am definitely saying that I have no sympathy at all for anybody who still uses Win98 and can't get this to work for them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just used MEGA today with Google Chrome and XP Pro.
    Chrome was the only browser that worked with MEGA when MEGA first came to be.....compatibility for others was added later.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the "others" hech54 talked about are Firefox, Firefox, Firefox and IE10, me thinks.

Anyway, the point is, your current preferred browser may be declared "obsolete" in no time, because of ONE "file sharing site"?

Also, I do not like the whole idea of letting Javascript write to the HDD.

Some days ago, I did test mega.co.nz with Seamonkey ( which BTW is *more of a Mozilla browser* than Firefox, let's be honest ), and NoScript displayed an alert which said something like this:

mega.co.nz is attempting to write more than 50MB of data onto your HDD, do you agree?

I didn't think twice, I opened a command prompt and killed Seamonkey.exe.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 1st Sep 2013 at 18:15. Reason: formatting
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the notes... and just as an exercise,
    below is a picture of what I got by attempting to download a sample file shared by Atak Snajpera:

Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera
    Remuxed vc-1 mkv is unplayable . Latest v6.5 was used.
    Sample -> https://mega.co.nz/#!IYNXRZRZ!N3DnCDGftXMwZ6tufjIoSiAe24ks2izHSkh3dFD5cB8
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mega-malware.png
Views:	2155
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	21290  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I upload to MEGA with Chrome - download from MEGA with Firefox (and Chrome occasionally).....never a problem.
    I have 33GB of work data and shared family data on my free MEGA account. NEVER any problems or complaints
    from family, friends or even virtual strangers from all over the world.
    NEXT.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Downloaded the mentioned file on Mega just out of curiousity. Normally I don't use Mega, but many other fileservers.
    The video downloaded pretty fast, and played perfectly.
    Used Palemoon (Optimized Firefox), Iron (Chrome without Google stuff), and IE11. No problem with all of them.
    So maybe you should check your configuration.
    Mega is a burned kid , so he's going different ways...
    As you see in your picture, files get downloaded first decrypted. Once the whole file sits on your harddisk, it gets converted to the original state (and visually the download process starts in Firefox). I guess, there's where your machine gets nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NoBuddy View Post
    So maybe you should check your configuration.
    You don't get it
    My machine didn't "go nuts" --- it was I who interrupted the pseudo-download process, in order to try to understand what was happening

Anyway, and putting things bluntly,

Code:
    mega.co.nz == FORCED (mis)"managed" download
    I dislike and I mistrust download "managers"
    (not to mention useless and gayish "intro animations").
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ... NoScript displayed an alert which said something like this:

mega.co.nz is attempting to write more than 50MB of data onto your HDD, do you agree?...
    I gotta say this is a good argument for using noscript.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have NoScript 2.6.8.5 (the latest one?) - never had any kind of issue or warning from NoScript during my 33GB of Mega.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " You don't get it
    My machine didn't "go nuts" --- it was I who interrupted the pseudo-download process, in order to try to understand what was happening
    "

No, I don't get it. You stopped it to understand it, but you still don't understand it?
    What's so hard about it?

What my mother told me: don't discuss with ignorants... Bye. Wish you good luck in your further "investigations"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm another mega user who's never had a problem. uploads or down i use firefox and have almost from the beginning. the weird part of the download that might seem strange is required because all files on mega are encrypted. the link that was given to you contained the decrypted filename and the key to unlock the file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. You are a frustrated with megaupload/mega.

K. Dotcom wrote in her twitter that new Mega will not be compatible with IE (IE=Microsoft), other browser work perfect (Opera, Chrome,Safari, work perfect for me).

The upload service occasionally work something slow but the other rest service working perfect.

I'm tired of see bullshit and lies about mega of the same frustrated users, stupids
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    What my mother told me: don't discuss with ignorants...
    Look who's talking.

Originally Posted by Tachini
    K. Dotcom wrote in her twitter that new Mega will not be compatible with IE (IE=Microsoft), other browser work perfect (Opera, Chrome,Safari, work perfect for me).
    I don't use IE unless I really have to.
    I don't like anti-social networks (Facebook, Twitter) because they are mainly a Total Waste of Time.

And yes, you and the others keep ignoring that Google Chrome has become the new Internet Explorer 6.
    The Opera you're talking about is the gayish Chromeish interface thing, not the old-school browser powered by Presto.
    And no, Firefox hasn't always been "Mega-compatible", there is a lot of dirty history you have intentionally omitted.
    And no, I don't think that pushing Javascript to beyond its safe limits is a synonym for progress.

Maybe a moderator should lock this topic, since it has become a magnet for trolls.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 25th Jan 2014 at 08:29. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uploaded 1.1GB, in 7 pasworded RAR projects/files to Mega overnight Thursday night with Google Chome. People all over the world are downloading, opening, editing, enhancing, adding to, personalizing with (I'm sure) a wide variety of browsers with absolutely zero problems at all.
    And yes.....topics can be magnets for trolls, but topics can also be started by trolls.

Sincerely,
    A lesser human who not only uses MEGA, but uses Facebook as well to communicate all of the projects I upload to MEGA.

Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, hechtroll54, everybody except me has dropped Mediafire, 4shared, Slowgator, Uploaded.To, PutLocker, etc etc etc, and switched to the everperfect Megaupload Revamped.

And oh BTW, could you please tell us the names of the other file sharing services that have adopted the Javascript-managed download method invented by mega.co.nz

P.S.:

Quote Quote  
  18. There's something odd about the Atak_Snajpera sample linked to in post #6. I downloaded it (Firefox 24), the indexedDB subfolder was created, and Firefox asked me where to save the file when the download was completed. 13MB worth of files remained in the indexedDB/mega folder.

The saved MKV wouldn't play properly using MPC-HC, which reported it as being 10 minutes long. After remuxing it with MKVMergeGUI (6.7.0), MPC-HC then reported it as being 56 seconds long at it played fine. MediaInfo also reported the same durations each time (10 minutes before remuxing and 56 seconds after). I suspect the original MKV was created as the video was encoded, hence it not having a proper index.

As an experiment, I remuxed the original file with an older version of MKVMergeGUI (6.4.1). Once again the duration changed to 56 seconds but seeking was monumentally slow. Opening the remuxed version with MPC-HC in order for the player to resume where it left off (39 seconds in), it took something like 10 seconds for playback to begin. For the version which was remuxed with MKVMergeGUI 6.7.0, playback resumed immediately.

Seems like any playback problems were the result of the way the original MKV was muxed, or the way it was remuxed at the time, or the player being used etc, but probably nothing to do with it being uploaded and downloaded after it was created.

PS MegaUpload is a file uploading/sharing service which was shut down. Mega is a new file uploading/sharing service which opened for business a year later. Same owner, but in some respect they're two completely different file uploading/sharing services.

PPS Nobody trolls any more. You can disagree without being a troll, and accusations of trolling because someone disagrees with you is at best a poor substitute for a real argument, and at worst a good indication the accuser is in fact the one trolling. Calling someone a troll because they don't agree with you is simply lame.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 25th Jan 2014 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, hechtroll54, everybody except me has dropped Mediafire, 4shared, Slowgator, Uploaded.To, PutLocker, etc
    etc etc, and switched to the everperfect Megaupload Revamped.
    I still use MediaFire. Used to use HotFile too till it disappeared.
    Oh and sorry about your oversized photo attachment. I've never seen DotCom's face during my interactions with MEGA....I'm
    not cool or hip enough to shun giant corporate establishment/machine and use SeaMonkey.......apparently.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    And oh BTW, could you please tell us the names of the other file sharing services that have adopted the Javascript-managed download method invented by mega.co.nz
    That's not really an argument for it being bad in itself. All it says is nobody else uses the same system. Yet....
    Once upon a time there was only one tabbed browser, so using the same logic I could have pointed out that as no other browsers have tabs, tabbed browsing is evil.
    These days, all browsers have tabs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    That's not really an argument for it being bad in itself. All it says is nobody else uses the same system. Yet....
    I wouldn't say "yet", because I don't have a crystal ball. Anyway I'm aware you have a point, since the general trend of the world is to get more and more evil each day.
    But I digress. My question is not an "argument", I really want to confirm (or infirm) that mega.co.nz is the only one of its kind.

Once upon a time there was only one tabbed browser, so using the same logic I could have pointed out that as no other browsers have tabs, tabbed browsing is evil.
    These days, all browsers have tabs.
    Again: you find my "arguments" where I didn't place them in.
    I already explained why I consider Megaupload evil --- it's their Javascript-driven download system.
    And many/most people don't perceive evil is evil --- which makes the problem even more evil -.-
    Quote Quote  
  22. Sounds like FUD to me, maybe someone is feeding false info to steer users away from Mega; wonder who might benefit from that?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I still love pronouncing the url of this service. Mega Conz.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    What my mother told me: don't discuss with ignorants...
    Look who's talking.

Originally Posted by Tachini
    I don't use IE unless I really have to.
    I don't like anti-social networks (Facebook, Twitter) because they are mainly a Total Waste of Time.

And yes, you and the others keep ignoring that Google Chrome has become the new Internet Explorer 6.
    The Opera you're talking about is the gayish Chromeish interface thing, not the old-school browser powered by Presto.
    And no, Firefox hasn't always been "Mega-compatible", there is a lot of dirty history you have intentionally omitted.
    And no, I don't think that pushing Javascript to beyond its safe limits is a synonym for progress.

Maybe a moderator should lock this topic, since it has become a magnet for trolls.

Fuc k them putlocker,ul.to and cia... the big shit of the uploads sites they believed rid of mega..xaxaxa Mega forever!!
    Pd: Troll it will be your deads freak^^
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like Tachini was hired by Kim Dotcom

No, I didn't read his 2nd post
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

No, I didn't read his 2nd post

Your bad publicity anti mega will never work in this world, do not strain... freak^^

PD: I not work for KD xDD (unfortunately) but maybe you try to give a bad image (nonexistent) to mega.
    I advise change your cheap,frustrated and stupid publicity. Pitiful...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doubt that:
    Originally Posted by Tachini View Post
    K. Dotcom wrote in her twitter
    Just challenged in some way.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That really did give me a few smiles.
    The world is becoming more evil every day!
    Hehe...
    Yeah I know this topic is old but I just found it.
    Anyway, Mega seems to work just fine and the writing to the HDD isn't a threat, it's a feature.
    You can always choose another file host.
    FaeGiN
    Quote Quote  
  29. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you can tell me how. I desperately want to use Mega, but I cannot. I can only download from it, using the great and amazing FreeRapidDownloader... but cannot upload to it. Much less setup an account.

Opera 11.64 - not work.
    Firefox 10.0.10 esr - not work.
    Chrome 28 - not work!

It did not even open the page, IMMEDIATELLY start bitching about "Not secure connection" and "wanted to use HSTS" (?!) and such BS. I want only one thing - to WORK with this website. I absolutely hate these megastupid Chrome messages. I want to skip that, but it does not work! Not at all

So please tell me, how you manage the Mega.co.nz to work, please!

I statring Chrome with:
    chrome.exe" --disable-web-security --allow-outdated-plugins --allow-running-insecure-content
    ...and it still did not allow me to even open the site. That is insane!

Please help.
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    I hope you can tell me how. I desperately want to use Mega, but I cannot. I can only download from it, using the great and amazing FreeRapidDownloader... but cannot upload to it. Much less setup an account.

Opera 11.64 - not work.
    Firefox 10.0.10 esr - not work.
    Chrome 28 - not work!

It did not even open the page, IMMEDIATELLY start bitching about "Not secure connection" and "wanted to use HSTS" (?!) and such BS. I want only one thing - to WORK with this website. I absolutely hate these megastupid Chrome messages. I want to skip that, but it does not work! Not at all

So please tell me, how you manage the Mega.co.nz to work, please!

I statring Chrome with:
    chrome.exe" --disable-web-security --allow-outdated-plugins --allow-running-insecure-content
    ...and it still did not allow me to even open the site. That is insane!

Please help.
    Of course you gonna have problems
    you use old not updated browsers
    new versions:
    Opera 26
    Firefox 34.0.5 use mega Firefox extension
    Chrome 39.0.2171.71 use mega chrome extension

Also easy way to upload files, download and install they software for windows
    after install just copy files to folder and it will automatically upload to Mega
    even it can resume upload if its interrupted

EDIT: If you have Windows 2000 and you cannot update browsers or install the MegaSync software
    so yea the 14 year old OS is the problem
    Last edited by roma_turok; 10th Dec 2014 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote