VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    These were issued with two versions using seamless branching to switch between versions. This makes getting a good backup impossible. Has the series ever been re-issued without seamless branching with only the version with the new CGI effects?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No.

It very likely never will. TOS is too iconic. They HAVE to make the true original special effects versions available as the only way to get the fans to accept the new updated special effects was to also give the original effects as an option. Giving people just one or the other would have been an unmitigated disaster.

It may not be "impossible" to get a good backup. Perhaps someone will reply with some advice on how to just get whichever version you want. I'd tell you but I don't know how as I have never had a reason to rip my copies and thus never encountered this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This may be way too off topic and impractical but here it goes.

Weren't they first released on hd-dvd?

Were these just the original versions?

If so your solution would be to buy the xbox 360 hddvd drive and the hd-dvds and then rip said discs. Problem solved.

Of course I dont' know for sure if the hd-dvd versions were "clean" or not. You'll have to do more research on that.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think they were even starting on them until after HD-DVD was already dead, I could be wrong but....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I don't think they were even starting on them until after HD-DVD was already dead, I could be wrong but....
    Well it seems you are partially correct.

A brief search found that season 1 of tos was on hd-dvd. However hd-dvd died before 2 and 3 were released.

Still don't know if they were the "specialized" versions.

It did mention something about remastered but don't know if that means "enhanced", "restored" or new special effects versions.

Sorry wulf109 not the answer you were looking for if you were willing to invest the time and money into this different direction.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    They may have been released on HD-DVD, TOS, but I was talking about the newer versions with the new CGI as wulf109 was talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StarTrek.jpg
Views:	7823
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	18677

If I remember correctly those were done for BluRay, same as TNG.
    Well, some for TNG.

I want them to do DS9!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. A review of the HDDVD can be found here.

Season One on HD-DVD does not have seamless branching, it only has the version with the new CGI special effects (which they were heavily promoting in 2007). Unfortunately, as yoda313 noted only the first season seems to have been released before the HD-DVD format imploded. The BluRay format includes both the original and updated CGI special effects in seamless branching because a) it is possible on BD, and b) not having the original FX as an option was a huge marketing blunder with the HD-DVD (and revamped DVD) sets that came out earlier. As jman98 said, the show is iconic, and a large number of fans could care less that the old FX look cheesy: they prefer them for nostalgia or authenticity reasons. Including both versions is an important sales gimmick for the studio.

If you can tolerate DVD quality instead of BD, the still-available DVD sets include only the updated CGI versions with no seamless branching.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I folks, I have a Sony Blu Ray player and it plays almost all my discs just fine. However, all of my STAR TREK ORIGINAL SERIES disc keep freezing up or pausing at every possible switching point between the enhanced and the original effects (as well as on some of the documentaries presented). There has to be a way to play the episode in a mode that doesn't require me to be constantly pushing the play button at every freeze up. Can anyone here tell me what that is?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How old is your sony blu-ray player?If its a really old model then you need to get a newer model.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV can back it up no problems. You can rip either angle to mkv. It will give you a choice of angle 1 or angle 2 for each episode. Angle 1 is the new effects versions.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's a 2013 model, so it is far from outdated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    These were issued with two versions using seamless branching to switch between versions. This makes getting a good backup impossible. Has the series ever been re-issued without seamless branching with only the version with the new CGI effects?
    You didn't say what tools you used or what exactly you're trying to do. Full disc or by episode?

1) If full disc, BDRB should be able to do it, retaining both angles. Though it has in the past been problematic for *some* seamless branched discs. I haven't done one lately, so I dunno.

2) If by episode, you should be able to extract the titlesets you want. Run AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey in the background and scan the disc with BDinfo. Note which titlesets are episodes (by duration) and their associated playlist files. Write down those playlist files (*.mpls) and try each one in succession (i.e. open the *.mpls in MPC-HC or MPC-BE). Identify each one. Load the *.mpls in tsMuxer to extract.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. To be honest, I'm not trying to make a back-up copy--I just want my original to play without interruption. It keeps pausing over and over again all throughout the episodes. The branching is proving to be far from seamless.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SFfilmfan View Post
    To be honest, I'm not trying to make a back-up copy--I just want my original to play without interruption. It keeps pausing over and over again all throughout the episodes. The branching is proving to be far from seamless.
    I'm just going to be blunt because I am not your parent and I don't have time to worry about your feelings.

Add yourself to the list of people who learned the hard way that Sony hasn't stood for quality for more than 10 years now. Add to that they are the MOST hostile anti-consumer company on the planet and maybe you have learned a valuable lesson and your next purchase will be of another brand. We gets posts all the time from people who remember how Sony was in the 1990s and today they come here crying about various problems with their new Sony crap. Sony isn't what it used to be and they haven't been what they used to be for a very long time now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know it's common to bash Sony on this website. I've used Sony BR players since I started with BR,S350-S360-S270-S280-S370-S380. I've never had a problem,they play almost anything you load in them. The S270-S370 are hardware immune to cinavia.
    My solution to the TOS problem was to back them up to DL disks. Not much cheaper than buying the retail sets,but it gave me expierence burning DL disks. I can't speak about recent Sony's and jman98 is quite correct to call Sony consumer hostile.
    Last edited by wulf109; 24th Jan 2014 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony s380 plays anything on disk and usb and is immune to cinavia since i won't use the latest firmware.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote