VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, complete newbie here, please be gentle but before I start looking into building a HTPC to replace my PS3 slim, I have some painfully newbie questions to ask. I'll number them for better reading.

1. is the picture quality from a PC with a HD6450 gfx card and TMT, playing an iso blu ray rip, the same (excellent, imo) quality playback as the PS3? If it doesn't, I stop right here (I am willing to accept there may be some software settings that will need adjusting on the HTPC but cba if it requires constant adjustment).

2. I currently run my PS3 through an Onkyo amp to the HD TV using a HDMI cable, what is doing the decoding of the video and audio, and if I replace the ps3 for a HTPC in the same setup, again what device will be doing the decoding, the htpc or the amp? I assume getting HD sound exactly like I do with the current PS3 setup will still be possible with a HTPC.

3. Will the HTPC/TMT software upscale dvds like the PS3 does?

4. Will a ripped blu ray isos play exactly like a disc plays in the PS3, with menus, audio options, extras, bd live etc?

5. Can all blu rays be ripped and played back ok? Or are there some which can cause problems, I've been using HDDecrypter to test some, and some have hidden sounds that make it so the blu ray won't play on a PS3 (probably not a problem if I ditch the PS3 in favour of a HTPC?), sounds like strong protection and has me concerned.

6. last question is a general question, what functions I am going to lose in swapping the PS3 for an HTPC (besides the obvious of not being able to play PS3 games).

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Someone else will have to take one questions 1 and 2.

3) Yes.
    4) If you use TMT it should, but I have not personally tested this. Worst case you could mount the ISO with Daemon Tools and then start TMT.
    5) You need to look up Cinavia as this is what you have seen on the PS3. We're not aware of any software BluRay players that currently support Cinavia, but I will warn you that it's probably just a matter of time before WinDVD and PowerDVD do. There's no other copy protection like Cinavia and it's actually not on most BluRays, but Sony uses it a lot.
    6) You'll probably curse less and have more spare time because you're not wasting hours having to do conversions to conform to the limitations of what the PS3 will playback. NOT kidding about that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. I can't tell you how it compares to the PS3, since I don't have a PS3 or Radeon HD 6450, a but a Radeon HD 6450 still is an excellent choice for an HTPC graphics card http://www.anandtech.com/show/4263/amds-radeon-hd-6450-uvd3-meets-htpc

2. The Radeon HD 6450 can stream protected HD audio via HDMI, so you could still use your receiver to decode. Here are some specs from http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6450/pages/amd-r...verview.aspx#2
    Integrated HD audio controller

Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI or DisplayPort with no additional cables required
    Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
    You would have to get a good sound card if the HTPC does the decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Be sure to get a 64 bit HD 6450. The 32 bit version doesn't have enough bus bandwidth to run Windows Media Center well.
    Quote Quote