VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I usually take video footage from my non-HD Mini-DV camcorder edit it through Video Studio X4 and burn it to ISO file or straight to DVD disk. 1 hours footage usually takes approx. 45 minutes to render on my PC.

Borrowed my dads HD camcorder and tried to do the same using VS X4, i.e burn to DVD disk or output to Blue Ray Video Folder on my HDD. Trouble is the render time has leapt from 45 mins with the Mini-DV footage to an estimated 10 hours with the HD footage.

What can I do or buy to drastically reduce this render time, or is this the norm with HD footage?

Thanks,

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. HD video has 6x the pixel area as standard def and is built on long-GOP compression which means frames have to be interpreted from as far as 10 seconds away to build an image. If you are downsizing or converting frame rates, interlacing, etc you require even more processing power.

45 minutes to 10 hours seems a tad on the long side, but not completely unreasonable.

Without knowing your settings it's hard to say if there's any tweaking you can do, but the best solution, unfortunately, is a faster computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Studio X4 tends to off load specific tasks amongst the processor cores ... not the best method, in fact its poor.

Bit like a car using 3 types of fuel, vpower = 99% performance, 95 = bit slower, e10 = throw it out the window.

Before thinking of upgrading why not try one or two of the free applications here on site ... you might find something better.
    Quote Quote