VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2 part question. I have some old VHS videos that I have captures using DV. I have played played the videos back in VLC using the yadif 2x deinterlace mode and am very happy with the resulting image. I want to be able to convert my captured 60i to 60p using the yadif 2x deinterlace method, how would I do that?

And part 2, can I burn that resulting video as a compliant dvd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fearmyrage View Post
    I have a 2 part question. I have some old VHS videos that I have captures using DV. I have played played the videos back in VLC using the yadif 2x deinterlace mode and am very happy with the resulting image. I want to be able to convert my captured 60i to 60p using the yadif 2x deinterlace method, how would I do that?

And part 2, can I burn that resulting video as a compliant dvd?
    A good progressive DVD player (with a 60p HDMI out mode) or a typical Blu-ray player (HDMI out) will do this in hardware and usually better than Yadiff.

DVD must be 60i or 23.976p (50i or 25p PAL).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD players cannot play 60p. Encode as 30i and let the player or TV handle the deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know a good player will do what i want the problem is I am trying to make this video for other people and i cant sure of the connection and proper setup.

"and usually better than Yadiff."

Do you really think so? Yadiff is the best deinterlacing I have ever seen on old video like that.

Regardless, is there a way to hardcode the video to 60p with yadiff, and if not yadiff is there another deinterlacing method that will acheive similar results that you would recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know a good player will do what i want the problem is I am trying to make this video for other people and i cant sure of the connection and proper setup.

"and usually better than Yadiff."

Do you really think so? Yadiff is the best deinterlacing I have ever seen on old video like that.

Regardless, is there a way to hardcode the video to 60p with yadiff, and if not yadiff is there another deinterlacing method that will acheive similar results that you would recommend?
    Yes modern HDTV or Blu-ray hardware deinterlacers are usually better than Yadif.

You can do this for computer playback but not for playback on a DVD player.

DVD needs to be 720x480 29.97 fps interlace (60 fields per second like the source). When played to a TV the following are the options.

Analog composite out: A classic CRT TV plays the 60 fields/s directly. A progressive TV will first look for a telecine cadence, if it finds none it will deinterlace for 60p or 120p display. Deinterlace quality varies.

Analog component or HDMI in 1080i out mode: Again the progressive TV will first look for a telecine cadence, if it finds none it will deinterlace for 60p or 120p display.

HDMI set to 60p out: The DVD/Blu-Ray player will first look for a telecine sequence. If it finds one it will inverse telecine 1080i to 23.976p, then output in a 2x then 3x frame repeat pattern to 60p. A 60 Hz TV will display this directly. A 120 Hz TV will remove the frame repeats then frame repeat* 5x to 120fps for display. If the player doesn't find a telecene cadence, the player will perform a bob deinterlace to 60p.

So, if you want the TV to perform the inverse telecine or deinterlace, set the player for 480i or 1080i out. If you want the player to perform the inverse telecine or deinterlace, set the player to output 480p, 720p or 1080p.

* or frame interpolate if interpolation is turned on.
    Last edited by edDV; 28th Apr 2012 at 20:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Once again, DVD players cannot play 60p sources. Some upscaling players can output 60p but they cannot read 60p. 60p sources are not supported in the DVD spec.

What is DVD: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Apr 2012 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not trying to be ass people but I dont need a lesson on dvds, I have been a member here for 10 years and used to be a high end home theater installer.

Forget about the dvd part of my question, how can I hardcode the 60i video I have to 60p with either yadiff 2x or something similar?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fearmyrage View Post
    not trying to be ass people but I dont need a lesson on dvds,
    Then why ask the question in the first place?

...how can I hardcode the 60i video I have to 60p with either yadiff 2x or something similar?
    With an AviSynth script, among other ways:

AVISource("C:\Path\To\Video.avi")
    Yadif(Mode=1)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fearmyrage View Post
    the problem is I am trying to make this video for other people and i cant sure of the connection and proper setup.
    Then how are you going to make sure they can play any 60p video you make? Many computers aren't set up to play MKV, MP4, TS, WMV, etc. files.

Yadiff is the best deinterlacing I have ever seen on old video like that.
    QTGMC is better than Yadif but it's very slow (about 1/50th the speed at default settings) and harder to get set up.

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi")
    QTGMC()
    Then open that script in any encoder that supports AVS scripts and encode. Like VirtualDub, Xvid4PSP, MeGUI...
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Apr 2012 at 22:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then why ask the question in the first place?
    I asked the question the first post, I got the answer in the second post.

In my second post I said

and the only response I got was explaining DVD again. So I clarified my position.

Then how are you going to make sure they can play any 60p video you make? Many computers aren't set up to play MKV, MP4, TS, WMV, etc. files.
    At this point it is a separate issue. I just want to be able to hardcode 60p into my videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you don't care now if others can play your 60p on DVD players?

That seemed to be your objective. I was trying to show 60p was unnecessary to your goal.

BTW: Some Blu-ray players or media players may play a Yadif 60p file but risky.
    Last edited by edDV; 28th Apr 2012 at 22:31.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Or, if you don't want to learn AviSynth, open your DV AVI file with VirtualDub. Add the Deinterlace -> Yadif 2x bff filter. Select and configure audio and video codecs. Save as AVI.
    Quote Quote