VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi. Can you give some advice to a newbee? I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6. It connects wirelessly to my Apple Airport Extreme wifi router. I have a NAS connected to the Airport Extreme via ethernet cable. All of my video content is on the NAS. This includes movies that I have purchased via iTunes and which are stored in my iTunes library. They are in a m4v container format. I also have purchased some DVD's and copied them to my NAS. The DVD copies are not in iTunes. Instead, they are in a different folder structure: I created a folder for each movie, and each folder contains the ts_audio and ts_video files that comprise the movie.

I want to be able to do four things:
    1. Stream movies that I have in iTunes to my TV.
    2. Stream the DVD copies on my NAS to my TV.
    3. I do not yet own any BlueRay discs, but I soon will and will want to do the same as in point #2 above.
    4. I want to access services like Netflix and Amazon to stream HD movies to my TV.

Any advice on what media to purchase that will do the above? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the wdtv media player series. The live versions have net access and can do netflix. Whether or not they talk to itunes I don't know - they probably won't play the encrypted videos but I imagine they'll do the music. Any of your personally ripped stuff should do just fine.

I have a gen 1 wdtv media player and it does a great job off harddrives. The newer live players handle direct internet connections and I believe they can be connected to media servers - don't know for sure - don't have a newer one.

Just curious - have looked into an apple tv? I don't think its as versatile as a wdtv media player by any means but I think its probably the only one that is 100% gauarenteed to work with your itunes video. I don't know if other players can do store bought itunes videos. Other than an ipod connected to a tv of course but those can't be networked to a media server that I know about.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote