VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've recently compiled a bunch of the latest versions of several Audio apps (ArdourVST, Qjackctl, Patchage, WineASIO etc etc etc.) in Ubuntu 7.10. This setup is working phenomenally so I'd like to back it all up using "Apt on CD" which basically copies your packages cache to a CD so you can install those packages on another system or restore your existing one. An added bonus is that you can add other outside .deb packages to your archive as well.

My question is when you build a program from source using ./configure, make, make install, is there a place a "deb" package is "built to" in the Linux file tree, or is there another step or program involved in actually building a package? To be clear I don't mean a binary deb with all the dependencies included, Just whatever the "Make" command has built.

Since all the depending libraries are on the Apt CD then of course these programs could just be compiled again from source on a new system, I just was wondering if there were some sort of intermediate package files that could be added to the Apt CD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To be honest I'm not sure but I know that you can easily create your own deb files when compiling from source

type "sudo checkinstall -D" instead of "sudo make install"

See this thread at the ubuntu forums for more info.

If I dig further I could probably find your answer for you. I'll look into it.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Freebird,

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, I figured you'd be the man to get me pointed in the right direction!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No problem! Share the knowledge I say!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote