VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to copy my purchased DVD's to blank DVDs as backups. Now, we finally have a Blu-Ray player with Wifi built-in. I'd like to start backing up future blu-rays that I might purchase

I'm wondering if just ripping them to a large external drive would work just as well as buying a burner and blank Blu-ray discs. I see that Slysoft has AnyDVD HD which I can use to get throught the protection. But, I don't see a simple program for copying, like CloneDVD did. Especially for copying to the 25GB DVDs, which seem to be much cheaper.

If I rip to the hard drive, would I be able to stream at an effective speed, to my Blu-ray player? I have Serviio console which makes it possible to stream from this external hard drive, I've already tested with an avi file. I just don't know if normal home WiFi Wireless N is fast enough to stream from a Blu-ray source. I guess it is because I can get Netflix streaming with HD.

Just would love to hear thoughts and suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea, and any suggestions for better ideas.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to start backing up future blu-rays that I might purchase
    As opposed to
    I'd like to start "archiving" from future Blu-rays that I might rent.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/362787-Blu-ray-streaming

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Of course has the user changed his mind. Rent and rip is not okey. So we can skip that discussion.

You can rip with anydvdhd and burn with imgburn. But many blu-rays are bigger than 25gb.

And streaming might be a problem because the blu-ray bitrate is MUCH higher than any netflix hd. It's up to around 40Mbit/s.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I've had a change of heart.

So, if I ripped from MakeMKV to an external hard drive in .mkv format , I would still have to find a way to compress in order to get it to stream from a DLNA server correctly?

If that's the case, what would be the simplest software that could make this possible? Will anydvdhd do this? I used MakeMKV for a DVD last night, just to test the streaming from my hard drive, and it worked great, but there is no way to compress. It only took 30 minutes, which I thought was decent.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tommyd17
    I would still have to find a way to compress in order to get it to stream from a DLNA server correctly?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think mkv and dts are dlna compatible. If you were to simply dump a whole bluray into mkv with dtsma I don't think dlna would know what to do with it.

Basically you would need to reencode the bluray to high profile level 4 h264 in a mp4 container with ac3 640kps audio in order for any dlna device to recognize it. Anything else and I think it would just refuse to recognize it.

I might be wrong but that is my understanding of dlna.

you can use ripbot264 or megui to conver the bluray after its ripped. Handbrake will also do the job - but just be sure to convert to ac3 audio so it will work with the most devices.

Again I may be wrong but that is my suggestion for doing dlna.

Unless you transcode with something like tversity or playon. Than it would take the original video and transcode it to meet the playback requirements of the target device without reencoding the original file first.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, AnyDVDHd can only rip/copy and remove the protection.

But you can shrink the MakeMKV MKV with handbrake, vidcoder or ripbot264.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yoda, I use Serviio to stream to my Sony BDP-3100 bluray player. I used makemkv to rip a dvd last night and it played just fine.

Baldrick, I'm used to the old days when it took hours to shrink DVD files. How long will something like handbrake take to shrink the file to acceptable streaming levels?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A blu-ray will take some hours to shrink. If you want to keep it as 1920x1080. Try and see!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @tommyd17 - I see - serviio has transcoding capabilities. I'd look into that. You should able to just rip the disc without converting and let the software do the transcoding so it can talk to your receiving device. I'm not sure if you have to the pro version or not to do that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote