VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys

I am a newbie into restoration and I need to restore 100 VHS Tapes + 25 hi8 Tapes as soon as I can.

Let's make a long story short. I live in an apartment and have few space left, so most of my stuff ( audio and video ) are ripped on HD. All my VHS were in my parents house and since they are moving to an apartment, I have to get my stuff out of there.

My biggest concern are all my Tapes. I can live without it for sure, but they are important to me.

I am a Ramones collector fan and most of the tapes are music related - bootleg stuff, backstage footage, footage with the band etc, sports action footage and family footage.

I know quality is an issue and I will never get any close to a dvd quality - but I wish I could get as much quality as I can.

In these first moment I just want to have it on HD to get ride of the tapes and latter I will think about editing.

Right now I am cleaning all the tapes, most of then are dirty and mold. It's been at least 10 years I don't use any of them. I know some of them are lost forever but I will try to recover as much tapes as I can.

I got a cleaning device to remove mold from the tapes ( unfortunately it's not a RTI tapecheck 490 but it does the job )

I tried to use a brand new low level cheap VCR but some footage i tried had a lot of jitter, noise etc.

I got a brand new, never used, in original box - JVC Hr-s9911u. ( the seller has another 2 left for sell ) and some good Monster Cables.

Should I buy a TBC AVT-8710 or only the JVC ( with TBC/DNR ) will do the job ? I am a little lost at this point.

I have a cheap capture card ( EZcap ) but it records on mpg-2 and I have to convert it to .mov to edit in Final Cut Pro X - so I am planning on get a Avermedia Extremecap U3 Hdmi. What would be the best capture setting to use ? ( 720 x 480 - 30 or 60p )

Should I stick with Avermedia Extremecap or get a different capture card. It has to be USB because I am going to capture it on a PC Notebook and edit latter on a MAC. I can't capture it on my iMac.

After I get all tapes on HD I will begin to edit it and have no problem how long it's going to take.

Should I get any plugins , post process filter for Final Cut Pro X to help me correct any errors from the footage ?

Any other hardwares are recommended ?

I have never done that before and so I am little bit lost. Any help will be appreciated.

I will post the restoration progress after I clean all the tapes.

PS - I am sorry for my English
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How are you planning to connect that HDMI capture device to your HR-S9911U?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The capture device has a composite video in ( S-Video + LR audio )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend a Canopus ADVC box. Then just import directly to the software of your choice using the FireWire cable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    I recommend a Canopus ADVC box. Then just import directly to the software of your choice using the FireWire cable.
    Unfortunatly I will have to capture it on a PC that doesn't have firewire port, only USB 3.0
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DV and HDV only work correctly through Firewire, not USB (any version).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by saulera View Post
    Should I buy a TBC AVT-8710 or only the JVC ( with TBC/DNR ) will do the job ? I am a little lost at this point.
    Going by the specs, the JVC shouldn't need an external TBC. At least experiment without it before deciding to purchase.

Originally Posted by saulera View Post
    I have a cheap capture card ( EZcap ) but it records on mpg-2 and I have to convert it to .mov to edit in Final Cut Pro X - so I am planning on get a Avermedia Extremecap U3 Hdmi.
    The extremecap claims to be mac compatible, but that may only be for game capture. I would find some way to capture directly to mac (Elgato Video capture or Blackmagic Intensity for example) to some suitable flavor of ProRes. This avoids a re-encoding step that FCPX is likely to do, gives you good quality iframe material to edit with, and avoids the issue of incompatible mac/pc hard drive formats.

(edit: double check whether FCPX will recognize the EZCap.)

What would be the best capture setting to use ? ( 720 x 480 - 30 or 60p )
    Match your source. Probably 720x480 29.97i (aka 30i, aka 59.94i)
    Last edited by smrpix; 8th Sep 2014 at 08:12. Reason: clarification of Mac capture devices
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW I can capture it from a macbook pro with firewiere 800 port. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by saulera View Post

BTW I can capture it from a macbook pro with firewiere 800 port. Thanks for the advice.
    Nope, won't work. Must be FW400 directly or FW800->Thunderbolt.

But I also recommend you investigate the process I described above. SD ProRes capture has quality advantages and similar bitrates to DV (and I am far from a ProRes fanboy.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I misunderstood the original objective. I thought he was going to capture VHS from a standard VCR which would use the composit inputs of the Canopus, and also Digital8 tapes which would use FireWire. I have a cable that accepts FW400 input and connects to a FW800 on the other connector. I haven't done this for quite some time, it worked perfectly for me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    AVerMedia indicates it comes with a dongle for component input, not composite or S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    I guess I misunderstood the original objective. I thought he was going to capture VHS from a standard VCR which would use the composit inputs of the Canopus, and also Digital8 tapes which would use FireWire.
    I believe he said Hi8, not digital 8 so it's all analog on the source side. That's why I bypassed DV as an option -- though it's certainly viable.

I have a cable that accepts FW400 input and connects to a FW800 on the other connector. I haven't done this for quite some time, it worked perfectly for me.
    Interesting, if the canopus does not require machine control that might increase the likelihood of FW400->FW800 working. Hadn't considered that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you are correct. He did say Hi8. My old Handycam does both and I've forgotten that Hi8 is different, I never use that. mea culpa ...

I plug the Handycam's FW400 into the ADVC-100 FW400 input, then, using a FW400>FW800 cable, I plug ADVC into my Mac's FW400 port and import to FCPX. I've not noticed any problems, but I haven't tried camera transport control either. I'll test that out next time I have a project.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    AVerMedia indicates it comes with a dongle for component input, not composite or S-Video.
    Sorry, my mistake
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    I guess I misunderstood the original objective. I thought he was going to capture VHS from a standard VCR which would use the composit inputs of the Canopus, and also Digital8 tapes which would use FireWire.
    I believe he said Hi8, not digital 8 so it's all analog on the source side. That's why I bypassed DV as an option -- though it's certainly viable.

I have a cable that accepts FW400 input and connects to a FW800 on the other connector. I haven't done this for quite some time, it worked perfectly for me.
    Interesting, if the canopus does not require machine control that might increase the likelihood of FW400->FW800 working. Hadn't considered that.

I am going to use a Digital8 camcorder throught firewire port ( even using Hi8 Tapes )
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I go with ADVC-100 - 110 or 300 ?

I will receive the JVC Hr-s9911u tomorrow but I still have a long process for cleaning all the tapes before convert it.

I am going to test the images on JVC and see if I need the TBC. In the meantime while I clean up the tapes I have some time do to some tests before final convertion.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    There's no point getting a Digital8 camcorder that supports analog conversion and an ADVC-100/110.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no point getting a Digital8 camcorder that supports analog conversion and an ADVC-100/110.
    I have only 20 Hi8 tapes.

I am going to use the ADVC-100/110 withthe VHS Tapes ( + 100 ).

At least, that's what I am planning.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by saulera View Post

What vaporeon is saying is that if you have a digital8 camera you can use that as a pass through device for digitizing the VHS material, and the ADVC is redundant.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

What vaporeon is saying is that if you have a digital8 camera you can use that as a pass through device for digitizing the VHS material, and the ADVC is redundant.
    Sorry, I didn't understand what vaporeon was trying to tell me. I have a Sony TRV530 that just bought 2 weeks ago because my old Hi8 has gone a long time ago and I needed any camera to playback the tapes. The TRV530 was the best deal I could get. I didn't know was possible to use as pass through device. Last night I bought the ADVC-110 - now it's too late.

What would be my best option ? Use the ADVC-110 or the camcorder ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by saulera View Post
    What would be my best option ? Use the ADVC-110 or the camcorder ?
    Try both. I would bet the tbc in the JVC deck is doing most of the work and you won't see much difference.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!