VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. can ffmpeg set to "verbose off"?

can ffmpeg stay silent when it works? and how?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You can set it to -loglevel quiet but the console will still show up.

There are small launch tools that can do it. Just google for "hide dos console".
    Quote Quote  
  3. ah thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. personally I go with '-loglevel fatal'
    Quote Quote  
  5. mm, what is the differences?
    Quote Quote  
  6. 'fatal' outputs stuff if something goes wrong, which I normally prefer over total silence to better be able to trace where the problem I can into originated.

‘-loglevel [repeat+]loglevel | -v [repeat+]loglevel’

Set the logging level used by the library. Adding "repeat+" indicates that repeated log output should not be compressed to the first line and the "Last message repeated n times" line will be omitted. "repeat" can also be used alone. If "repeat" is used alone, and with no prior loglevel set, the default loglevel will be used. If multiple loglevel parameters are given, using ’repeat’ will not change the loglevel. loglevel is a number or a string containing one of the following values:

‘quiet’

Show nothing at all; be silent.
    ‘panic’

Only show fatal errors which could lead the process to crash, such as and assert failure. This is not currently used for anything.
    ‘fatal’

Only show fatal errors. These are errors after which the process absolutely cannot continue after.
    ‘error’

Show all errors, including ones which can be recovered from.
    ‘warning’

Show all warnings and errors. Any message related to possibly incorrect or unexpected events will be shown.
    ‘info’

Show informative messages during processing. This is in addition to warnings and errors. This is the default value.
    ‘verbose’

Same as info, except more verbose.
    ‘debug’

Show everything, including debugging information.
    source: http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. ahn ok thank yoy
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can always redirect output to the null device or a file:

Code:
    ffmpeg -yada-yada-yada 2>nul
    I don't know why they use stderr for all their output.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know why they use stderr for all their output.
    Since ffmpeg allows to pipe it's normal a/v-output to stdout it would be fatal to not use stderr.
    Imagine what x264/vpxenc/x265/.. would do if you feed them a mix of video data and some debug/message/warning/error output.
    -> it's the right thing to do (okay switching between stdout and stderr depending on the output method of the normal content might also be a way, but why make things more complicated?)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I don't know why they use stderr for all their output.
    Since ffmpeg allows to pipe it's normal a/v-output to stdout it would be fatal to not use stderr.
    Ah, didn't know it could pipe output to stdout.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th May 2014 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!