VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After copying my entire collection of VHS-recordings and making hundreds of DVD-R from TV-shows, using TMPG DVD Author version 1.6.26.73, I have found a flaw with several discs. I discovered the problem after making copies of home-authored DVD-R's. Earlier, if I had for example 3 clips with similar video/audio properties, I would put these on the same DVD-track in the software (TMPG DVD Author). I assumed the clips would be joined properly by the software, and that this would be OK. I was wrong.

When I try to copy a DVD made this way, there are sometimes lipsync errors when the copy is being played. The audio is delayed. Very annoying, and hours of work may be wasted, since my collection of home-made DVD's is huge (hundreds).

I have thought about this problem for a long time, and yesterday I read an old posting on a video-forum somewhere that perhaps explains why I'm experiencing this problem.
    It seems that some DVD authoring software, when several clips are added in the same track, do not join the clips properly, but instead makes a sort of "slideshow-effect" with the video clips. This means that when the authored DVD is played back, there is a short break (about 0,5 seconds) between each clip being played. I have experienced this on my older DVD-players while playing home-authored DVD's. After one clip has been played, the picture freezes for about 0,5 seconds, and then the next clip continues. The playback is not "seamless", or the videoclips have not been properly joined by TMPG DVD Author.

When this DVD is being copied back to a PC, however, the clips will be properly joined, but now some of them will have lipsync-issues.

Now, after I've become a bit wiser in the DVD-authoring hobby, I always put different videoclips on different tracks on the DVD. This is the safest way to do it, and I avoid lipsync issues.

Are there more people out there who have experienced similar problems after copying home-made DVD's?

I would like to hear other people's opinions on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If by "tracks" you mean "titles," then that is indeed the standard way of authoring such things. I've not really done it any other way, so I haven't quite encountered the particular problem you're describing (but have suffered plenty of other sync difficulties). The problem of splicing together MPG clips is an old one -- if the splice points do not coincide with I-frames, then the authoring tool has to do something to fix that up (and that's in addition to requiring that the files to be joined have identical bitrates, etc.). That "something" may or may not be what you want or intended. Keeping titles separate sidesteps having to worry about this at all, as you've discovered. Just keep that habit, and you'll be good to go.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    If by "tracks" you mean "titles," then that is indeed the standard way of authoring such things.
    Yes, I meant "titles". "Title" is called "track" in TMPG DVD Author.
    Some time in the future I'm gonna check all my home-made DVD-R's, and correct the ones with lipsync-issues. Luckily we have tools to adjust lipsync properly, and to make the new discs perfect.
    This is gonna be one helluva job, and I'm not really looking forward to it

But I'm a perfectionist, so I have no choice...
    Quote Quote