VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone tell me if the Sony DCR-TRV camcorders are digital, but record the digital onto Hi8 tapes?

Just want to be 100% certain before I possibly buy a second hand one

Thanks

OM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What model, looks like there are both MiniDV and Digital 8 models in the DCR-TRV line? If the latter, yes they record digital on to HI8 tapes but you'll only get 60mins on a 120min tape. See http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/sony/camera/dcr-trv/ for details on each model.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Sony DCR-TRV260. The recording length is 60 min/tape for standard play, but in long play mode it's 90 minutes. Some Sony models can double the recording time. I have seen little difference in picture quality in long play mode.

The only problem I have had with the camcorder was a loss of the DV out (firewire). I had it repaired and so far no further problems.

The Hi8 is slightly larger/heavier than the miniDV so keep that in mind.
    Hmmm... I wonder what the RED button does...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just went through all that a few days ago. Read this thread then ask any more questions here.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368544.html
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have mine DCR-TRV 520 bought back in 2000. Mine specifically says: "Digital 8 handycam". You do not stated what your camera says.

That said, I started recording with Digital 8 tapes (too expensive, I used only 4 or 5), Then I bought some Hi8 tapes, they obviously work perfectly. The last 8 years I used ONLY regular Video 8 tapes (cheaper ones), and they also work smoothly.
    One only warning: this kind of tapes could not be played well on other Digital 8 handycam/player. This is informed in the manual.

FYI, recording is very similar to DV. Some purist will say DV cameras are better in quality and in sensor. And they are totally right. But back in 2000 I was looking for a device who can play all the analogue Video 8 recorded with a previous handycam. So Digital 8 was my choice. 9 years later I can say I decided right back then. But now it is time to move forward and look for a HD handycam.

Meanwhile my TRV-520 still will be usefull to play old analogue and digi 8 tapes to convert them to newer high quality formats. And always preserve the master tapes for further HI Def formats in future (they will be, you bet).

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guys, thanks for the replies
    i only asked the question because i wanted clarification
    i thought trv = hi8

not the case, i know now
    i didn't have a sepcific model in min, since i was intending on buying from ebay
    i wasn't bothered: all i wanted was a camcorder with mic and headphone input

i'd been bidding all week on different camcorders: and it dawned on me that some of them might not be mini dv (which is what i wanted!)

anyway, sods law: i needed up winning 2 of them! : )
    AND both the same models!

i ended up getting trv-19e's
    very happy with them i have to say + in great condition, the one i have received
    Quote Quote