VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to find a decent deinterlacing filter that won't ruin my game captures. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work fine with this particular game...

I've tried using the tutorials from 100fps, and they work, but I'm left with insanely large video files running at twice the framerate. I've tried Asvzzz Deinterlace, Deinterlace Area Based, Smart Deinterlace, Deinterlace Muksun, and deinterlace (Virtualdub internal) and none of them work fine, I'm left with heavily distorted frames.

Is there any plugin that does a -simple deinterlace-? Just blend the even lines with the odd lines from consecutive frames? No fancy blurring, calculations, motion denoising, etc, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. blending will cause blurry results, probably not what you want

recent vdub builds have built in yadif which is pretty fast and yields decent quality, probably the best one out of vdub's internal filters

make sure you select compression (video=>compression), otherwise it will be uncompressed (large video bitrate)

You can access higher quality deinterlacers through avisynth, but higher quality means a lot slower to process (CPU heavy)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried yadif. Same issues. Here's a screen capture which shows my... problem. This -has already been Deinterlaced-.

And I've also tried AviSynth's SeparateFields with Deinterlace Smooth, it works very well but I really don't like those bloated filesizes, and it takes too long. I have to compress the video -twice- (once to get rid of the interlacing, another time to get rid of the double frame rate) and I lose a lot of quality; I can't use HuffYUV because I run out of hard drive space. This damn game is getting on my nerves.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you resizing before deinterlacing?

You shouldn't get bloated filesize, unless your forgot to use compression or specified a high bitrate

If you specify single rate deinterlace, you will get the normal fps, bob deinterlace will give you the full temporal resolution (double fps, but much smoother)

Do it all at once, instead of several steps and compressions, it's faster, and better quality

What format are you capturing in? and how are you capturing? (or did you mean you're capturing in some lossy format, then compressing again)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The capture is native NTSC size, I'm not resizing anything before, during or after capture. I'm capturing at 720x480 with VirtualDub using FFDshow's XviD codec at 100% quality (about 1.8 GB per ten minutes of footage, including raw audio capture data).

After the AviSynth script was processed, I ended up with some huge videos due to the doubled frame rate (I originally saved them with XviD at 80% quality and they were still huge, much larger than I can handle uploading to Youtube - any compression lower than that and I get nasty artifacting). I have to waste an hour of encoding time and gigs of hard drive space per video with these methods.

This wouldn't be such a problem if only my ISP didn't limit my upload speeds so much...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Post a sample of your source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Post a sample of your source.
    Okay. I'll post a 50 MB 10 second clip... as soon as it's finished, I'll edit this post with the link.

I apologize if I sound a bit angry, but I've been trying to get this thing to work for four days now and I'm frustrated as -heck-. I really appreciate you folks taking the time to help me out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Some videos simply don't deinterlace well. There is no perfect deinterlacing method -- not even theoretically.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried to upload this twice and every time it times out just before completing. I HATE MY ISP. Stupid country-wide monopolies. AGH.

I'll try tomorrow. So sorry about this. >_<
    Quote Quote  
  10. You know the file size limit here is 30 MB?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to upload it to Sharebee so it gets uploaded to several file sharing sites (so if one doesn't work, you can try another).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FINALLY. Here you go. Ten seconds, and I stripped the audio to keep things smaller.

http://sharebee.com/4ac6f848

Edit: And I just noticed that if I load this into VideoLan and use the YADIF x2 Deinterlacer filter, it looks perfect. So why won't it work on VirtualDub?

Edit 2: WOW, I just tried the AviSynth YADIF plugin and it looks friggin' beautiful. Unfortunately I'm stuck with 59.94 FPS.
    Last edited by Foxhack; 9th Feb 2010 at 01:48.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Regarding the frame rate doubling: Yadif(mode=0) will keep same frame rate.

Regarding VirtualDub's Yadif mode: Virtualdub's internal Yadif deinterlacer doesn't work right with your video because it doesn't handle the chroma channels of interlaced YV12 properly. You could get around this by converting to RGB or YUY2 before giving the video to VirtualDub:

AVISource("gitarooclip.avi")
    ConvertToRGB(interlaced=true) # or ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)

Doing this would be pointless since you can just perform Yadif() in the AviSynth script. But if you ever need to use a filter that's only available in VirtualDub (Neat Video?) in the future you should keep this in mind.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Feb 2010 at 06:58.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is just perfect.

Thank you so very much for your help.
    Quote Quote