VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When i watch movies in potplayer on some scenes I hear crackling in the audio. How can i get rid of this crackling? Same thing happens in media player classic which comes with k lite codec pack when i turn on the volume normalizer but in potplayer i haven't changed any setting everything is on default. And i have one more question about codec packs like klite,cccp... Are codec packs bad? because I read here on videohelp and on this website(http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-media-player-replacement.htm) that using codec pack isnt recommended but ond codecguide forums they said following People who say that know very little about codecs. Codec packs and the codecs themselves have evolved a lot in the past ten years. The K-Lite codec pack is very advanced and has several features for detecting, fixing, and avoiding problems. It is much easier and cleaner than installing codecs manually. Plus you can always get help here in case of any problems. so what is the truth? I use klite for example for software like subtitle workshop or subtitle edit
    Last edited by stardust018; 29th Jun 2014 at 06:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Codecguide is run by people who sell codec packs. What the frak opinion did you expect them to have on the subject?

They're also the sort of people who spend way too much time on SEO techniques so that lazy google users who just click the 1st thing will end up with their crap. K-lite sucks, CCCP is even worse.

Some are better than others. If you have to have one ffdshow is probably the best. But I still yanked all of them.

3rd party codec packs may have made sense in older versions of windows ... say up to XP. But for vista (probably) and later (definitely), no.

If you look at the microsoft tech support site it specifically says that installing 3rd party codec packs in windows 7 is not recommended. And they're right. Of course the abovementioned forum will say that misrosoft doesn't know what they're talking about. When you hear that you will run if you have any sense. They cause problems because they muck with the registry (which is partly the fault of window's terrible permission levels) and repoint the whole system to itself.

Many of these codecs have compatibility problems, and what happens when some noob who doesn't know better installs both klite and cccp?

Or maybe you're just a shill?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Codecguide is run by people who sell codec packs. What the frak opinion did you expect them to have on the subject?

They're also the sort of people who spend way too much time on SEO techniques so that lazy google users who just click the 1st thing will end up with their crap. K-lite sucks, CCCP is even worse.

Some are better than others. If you have to have one ffdshow is probably the best. But I still yanked all of them.

3rd party codec packs may have made sense in older versions of windows ... say up to XP. But for vista (probably) and later (definitely), no.

If you look at the microsoft tech support site it specifically says that installing 3rd party codec packs in windows 7 is not recommended. And they're right. Of course the abovementioned forum will say that misrosoft doesn't know what they're talking about. When you hear that you will run if you have any sense. They cause problems because they muck with the registry (which is partly the fault of window's terrible permission levels) and repoint the whole system to itself.

Many of these codecs have compatibility problems, and what happens when some noob who doesn't know better installs both klite and cccp?

Or maybe you're just a shill?
    thanks for help. I asked the question about codec packs because i was confused because one one site they said codec packs are good and on the other they are not. And what about audio crackling in potplayer how can i solve this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had a look at the code guide website but couldn't find any codecs for "sale". Am I missing something?

There's nothing wrong with having 3rd party codecs installed if you need them or want to use them, despite the Chicken Little claims made by some.
    Having said that I don't install codec "packs" myself. I manually install the codecs I use, which for me is mainly ffdshow and the Haali Media Splitter (MeGUI requires it for decoding some files). I do have a few other codecs installed for encoding and the sky doesn't fall as a result. Installing more than one codec "pack" is probably not a good idea.

If I recall correctly (and it may have changed) the KLite codec pack installs a stripped down version of MPC-HC (most of it's internal codecs removed). I can't remember how CCCP installed things (although I recall it having a "reset" shortcut under the start menu ).

You might want to try the "normal" version of MPC-HC which will decode most video/audio without requiring any extra codecs. I'd start there and see how the audio behaves. Potplayer is also a DirectShow player (as is MPC-HC) and may also be using system codecs for some audio/video types which might be why both players have the same audio problem. If you download the portable version of MPC-HC, unzip it and run it, you should be using it's internal codecs. You might need to work on a process of elimination.

I've found that occasionally I get crackling audio (MPC-HC), which for me tends to only happen if there's multiple audio streams. I think it's related to also running ReClock but I've never tried to track down the cause as for me it only happens occasionally and closing and re-opening MPC-HC invariably fixes it.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th Jun 2014 at 22:21.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!