VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've got a number of old Laserdiscs I'm working on recording to PC and cleaning up. For the discs that aren't film to NTSC conversions (i.e. were were originally recorded in 1/60th sec timebase fields), I'm also using a yadif 30 FPS -> 60 FPS deinterlace filter. I want to get some opinions from some of the experts here on whether or not I'm doing a good job with the picture clean-up.

My LD player isn't the best in the world. It's an old Pioneer LD-V2200 from 1989. It seems to love giving me chroma noise, especially in the blue to purple range. I'm not sure how much of that is the player and how much it's from the discs themselves. I've been using a 4-frame temporal dead-reckoning comb filter to try and eliminate as much of that as I can. I've also been trying my best to make black levels look nice.

Here is a sample video (50 MB) of one of my clean-up jobs:
    http://vps.rubbermallet.org/ld-cleanup.avi

If you're on Windows, I don't recommend VLC for 60 FPS playback. It's a known issue, it can sometimes be jerky. MPC-HC is much better for it. Also, it looks better if you don't stretch up from the original size of course.

Any advice? Does it look good? Can I do much better than this with a source like Laserdisc? My capture card is one of the old-ish WinTV cards with the Bt 878 chipset.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Using QTGMC() in AviSynth will get you better deinterlacing. You can get rid of a lot of the chroma noise with something like MergeChroma(McTemproralDenoise(settings="very high")). Sharpening the Chroma will help too. MergeChroma(McTemproralDenoise(settings="very high").aWarpSharp2(depth=30)).
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2013 at 21:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll check that out. I've been meaning to learn AviSynth, everything I've done has been in VirtualDub. Does QTGMC() do 60 FPS conversion too?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Mike Chambers View Post
    Does QTGMC() do 60 FPS conversion too?
    Yes. It always does a double frame rate deinterlace. I think you can get much better results than you are now. Are you capturing with a lossless codec like UT Video Codec, Lagarith, or HuffYUV? Can you upload a sample of your unfiltered captured source?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Mike Chambers View Post
    Does QTGMC() do 60 FPS conversion too?
    Yes. It always does a double frame rate deinterlace. I think you can get much better results than you are now. Are you capturing with a lossless codec like UT Video Codec, Lagarith, or HuffYUV? Can you upload a sample of your unfiltered captured source?
    Thanks for the help jagabo! Yeah, I always capture with Lagarith at 720x480. I can definitely upload that section of the video, but would you like me to convert it to interlaced h264 at a high bitrate first? Lossless is huge of course.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, do not compress it with a lossy codec. Upload a reasonable sized sample of the Lagarith video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Mike Chambers View Post
    Here's a chunk of it. Thanks again!

http://vps.rubbermallet.org/ld-original.avi
    This script is glacially slow but compare the result to yours.

Code:
    AviSource("D:\Downloads\ld-original.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    QTGMC()
    MergeChroma(McTemporalDenoise(settings="low"),McTemporalDenoise(settings="very high").aWarpSharp(depth=30))
    Spline64Resize(720,540)
    It could probably some more work too. But the above script was quick and easy to write.

yours:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	yours.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	21794

mine:

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	21795

There's a problem with your capture too. You encoded with Lagarith as RGB, not YUY2. That has resulted in a loss of detail in the brightest parts of the picture. I recommend you go back and capture again as YUY2. And try using the capture device's proc amp controls to bring the brights down a bit. The areas marked in red are where peaks where probably crushed because of the YUV to RGB conversion:

Name:	peaks.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	21796
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Dec 2013 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote