VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For over a week now I get notification to install 2 WinXP updates each time I start the PC, but the updates are not installed when I select download and install updates. I tried to install these updates by running Windows Update, but it gives "The following updates were not installed:
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2862152)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2898715)."
    I tried Google search but find no solution for this problem. Does anybody know the cause or fix for this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried installing after turning off your antimalware/firewall programs?
    (Download the updates, then unplug from the internet) You might even be able to install by using 'safe mode'.)

(2862152) Vulnerability in DirectAccess and IPsec Could Allow Security Feature Bypass

(2898715) The security update addresses the vulnerability by validating LRPC messages
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Download them from MS:

KB2862152

KB2898715
    That worked, but it used "Software Installation Wizard" to install updates and automatically rebooted without prompt. Does anybody know why this worked but Windows Update failed?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    ...automatically rebooted without prompt.
    Yeah there's a check box to prevent rebooting on the close panel. I have no idea what's the problem, but check this page for a matching error message.

From the same page, this link looks a lot like your issue and when you open the page you get a popup offering to run Microsoft Fixit.
    Quote Quote