VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all

Sorry this is a bit long, but could really use some help as I don't know much about this stuff.

I recently bought a set of used Blu-Ray disks on eBay that are no longer in print an wanted to put them to my computer systems as I watch everything through a Plex / Roku system.

In doing so, for the first time, I came across reports via AnyDVD-HD of some bad sectors.

I then used VSO Inspector to give me more detailed info, which I could supply if any want to see that.

A few notes; the disk itself is physically flawless an while I have yet to try to view it via a BD player, for sure it is clean an not coming from a scratch or physical issue I can see. For the report from VSO, while it shows a good number of returns of issues, in total (an I guess not surprising for a disk with 45 gigs on it), its total reported Surface Scan Errors were 0.02%. Also would report that I have used the BD unit in my PC for quite sometime, an never had a issue with any other disk, an so far none of the other disks in the set have shown issues either.

Guess what I'm saying for a few things are, at least from a physical look, I don't think the seller would have had any cause to worry that it was a bad disk, an again, have yet to watch it, but at this level, I think (?) there could have been no notice of issue from viewing? As well I really think I do have a good BD unit in my PC (is a LG WH14NS40 btw).

Anyway, to get to some questions.

First, are there any programs I could use with the info I got from either AnyDVD-HD, or VSO, to let me know what file or files are affected by these flaws. For AnyDVD, I did see which file it was trying to get when it reported the flaws, but that info was not in the report.

All in all if I knew for sure which files were part of the reported bad sectors, I could better look out for their possible effects.

Second, aside from watching the videos, in looking at the final files on the PC I was able to get off the disk, I don't seem to find any that are any less in size or any dif in any other comparison I can see. Also would note that via VSO, it was odd, but it did not report any errors for its File Test Scan.

So I know it might be hard to say here, but is it possible that while it may be reporting these errors, the files on it, an more to ask, being taken, are not being effected by this in anyway?

Well figure that's enough to post for the moment as was long enough.

Hopefully with the more experienced here, someone can fill me in on more info an answer the questions I have.

Thanks greatly for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try looking at the disc at an angle under a bright light and see if you can spot
    any imperfections bad spots or cracks in the disc. are these discs original
    store bought bluray discs or are they burned ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I have looked very very close. Under very close inspection I saw a very light scratch coming from the center hole, that its end extended about 1/8th into to the reflective part of the disk at its center end. I made very sure it wasn't a crack, but just a very light scratch. From posting a little about this on the SlySoft forum an from someone looking at the sector numbers I posted, they said it was going to be a part that should be in the middle to middle outside area of the disk, an that this mark should not have anything to do with it.

In looking at the middle section, an very very closely an in a very good light, I have yet to find a flaw.

As best as I can tell, these are the original store bought disks, they are in proper sleeves an each disk as some kind of ink, not paper, correct artwork on the front side. All in all as they are used, I suppose anything could be copied, but for as best as I can tell, they are proper originals.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible to not have any physical damage and still have flaws. You might try using MakeMKV and see if that can rip without errors. You can rip the whole disc as an ISO or just select the main movie and whatever audio and subtitle tracks you want and it will rip to an uncompressed MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Have you looked at it with a bright light behind it? I recently had a Blu-ray disc that would not copy, and the surface looked flawless. But holding it up to a light I could see half a dozen pinholes through the reflective layer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    It's possible to not have any physical damage and still have flaws. You might try using MakeMKV and see if that can rip without errors. You can rip the whole disc as an ISO or just select the main movie and whatever audio and subtitle tracks you want and it will rip to an uncompressed MKV file.
    Thanks for the reply Arnold_Layne, will give that program a try. Just to ask, does MakeMKV report sector errors?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Have you looked at it with a bright light behind it? I recently had a Blu-ray disc that would not copy, and the surface looked flawless. But holding it up to a light I could see half a dozen pinholes through the reflective layer.
    No I haven't given it that test, will give it a try. Just to ask, how would a disk get a hole like that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    No I haven't given it that test, will give it a try. Just to ask, how would a disk get a hole like that?
    My guess was a manufacturing flaw.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    In taking a look through the disk an from either side with a flashlight, it was kinda hard due to the artwork, but I did not see anything that stood out. I then shinned it at the right angle onto the reflective side of the disk, an I did notice what looked like about 20 or so little specs spread out all over the disk.

I then looked at all of the other disks that have come out with no issues, an for most they're were either virtually none, or only had few. But then one disk did show about as much as the problem-ed one, but that disk copied just fine, an also is one I ran it through VSO, an has come back with zero errors.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Arnold_Layne, I downloaded MakeMKV (latest one linked from this site seems to say Freeware, but is actually a 30 day trial), an in looking at it, I can seem to find anyway for it to make a ISO of the disk. Also have Googled, but haven't found anything yet for that either. Currently I am running it to make a single mkv file (I think?) an will see how that goes. UPDATE: Looks like it making a media file per file copy.

But if there is a way to make a ISO with it, could you please tell me how?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I believe you are correct, no ISO, but will make a "back-up" of the whole disc as files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Np, just wanted to be on the same page.

Was running the program as I described above, an for what ever second file it started to create, it started showing all kinds of errors, an then even though it was in my task bar, I couldn't open the program again, an it was no longer making the file it started to save bigger. So had to use taskmanager to close it.

Will next try to copy the disk excluding what I think was that file, an see how that goes.

At the very least, if I can isolate the file, I will know more then I know now.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    OK, to report back.

I seem to have narrowed the corrupted files down to 2 of the 5 main titles, an 1 out of the 9 extras.

For the 2 main titles I get multiple errors an so using MakeMKV, I tried a copy run where I unchecked all the boxes of all the other files, an then all the Audio an Subtitle boxes for the affected title; (i.e. was just looking to get the vid).

But for each one at a time, they both came back with errors enough so that MakeMKV did not even make a file.

For the 1 extra, this would only come back with 1 error an it reported it would try a work around, then it produced a file. So am assuming it was able to fix the issue enough to its liking. Btw, tried that file with no sound or subtitle an made no dif.

As it was short, I have watched this title on at least my PC, an is seems fine to me.

Btw should also mention that when I ID'd these two files, I tried a copy without them an got no errors.

So at least now I know which titles it is that could be issues, I guess the next test is to watch them on a standalone BD player, an see if I get any issues.

Btw, if anyone has any ideas as to ways to get these files off the disk without a failure, please let me know. Can I just do a copy an paste?

Oh an btw, basically mentioned this before, but as I know which are the bad files for sure now, I really double checked these on the disk, show all the same size info as the ones that AnyDVD got off.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, so just for a update, I tried copying one of the reported bad files, an windows came back saying there was a issue. Although it seems to have copied the file with the same volume of data that is on the disk.

I tried a file that was not reported as bad, an happened without issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I know this thread is a tad old, but just to pop in to give an update.

I finally got a chance to watch an several times the full disk in topic an then as well, the two specific titles I determined were a issue on this disk.

The player I watch them on was a Sony BDP S3500 which I got this Christmas, an is update-able as it has Wifi, so it has what ever there is.

I watched the disk via HDMI on a 50" Samsung flat screen I got this fall.

An in watching the whole disk an multiple times, an just these two titles in the same, I did not see a single issue that at least I caught.

As I mentioned, I watch the EP, an also just let the whole disk play from the watch all option, an it never showed any signs of a problem, let along hung or froze or do anything abnormal.

Is weird how the programs I have used can show so many issues, but then it plays in a player just fine.

So I know what kind of a question this is, but would most say that despite those results, the disk is really fine?

As well, does anyone have any possible more in depth or technical explanations as to why despite its errors, it is not showing any issues when played? If possible, am kind of looking for more then "sometimes they do that" if anyone knows.

Btw, sorry to any for the troll link #15 that was put to this thread, if I could get rid of it I would.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote