VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Looks like I'm still struggeling to get this video conversion thing to a point where I can actually convert a video and watch it on my tv!! Since it's something I won't do very often I was about to give up but now it's become personal and I won't quit until I get it down!

So here's my issue. I had an mkv file which I converted to avi divx so I could put it on my Lacie Lacinema (not the new Lacinema HD version but the older "non HD" one) and watch it on my tv. I thought this went just fine because I could watch the avi file on my mac. Also my Lacie supports external subtitles and that alse works just fine.

On my computer audio and video are in perfect sync. However after copying the file to my harddrive the audio and video are way out of sync. I've been reading up on this but haven't found any solutions.

Anyone here have any ideas?

One topic got me thinking about fps. In my conversion settings I set fps to 30. I figured the more the better. Since I'm in Europe I think we use the PAL standard, which I think is 25 fps, isn't it? Could that be the reason?

I posted this in the mac forum since I use a mac but it's kind of a general question so sorry if I'm in the wrong subforum.

Din.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried changing the framerate to 25 fps but it makes no difference.

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the file is in sync on the mac, it' s not a framerate issue, it's a device playback issue

Did you convert it to SD? If the device is the non-HD version, you should use settings compatible with it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If the file is in sync on the mac, it' s not a framerate issue, it's a device playback issue

Did you convert it to SD? If the device is the non-HD version, you should use settings compatible with it
    I converted to divx avi.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Din Viesel View Post
    If the file is in sync on the mac, it' s not a framerate issue, it's a device playback issue

I converted to divx avi.

divx avi can come in HD resolutions as well

If your device is "DivX certified" then use the DivX standard definition home theatre profile, and it will attempt to optimize compatiblity

not the new Lacinema HD version but the older "non HD" one
    So obviously you have to use non HD...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Din Viesel View Post

I converted to divx avi.

divx avi can come in HD resolutions as well

If your device is "DivX certified" then use the DivX standard definition home theatre profile, and it will attempt to optimize compatiblity

not the new Lacinema HD version but the older "non HD" one
    So obviously you have to use non HD...

First off, thanks for your attention to this matter and sorry for my late response. Where I am it was getting late and I went to bed.

I used Easy Video Converter to do the conversion. As far as I know it has no presets to set everything. You have to set all parameters manually with little dropdown menus. I'm not on my mac right now but here's my settings IIRC :

Video :

divx avi
    720x400 (I think, 720 I'm sure, 400 not) it's a dropdown menu where you can choose.
    25 fps

Audio :

mp3
    44100 kHz
    128 kbps

Would that be alright?

EDIT : the funny thing is that the device actually goes up to 1080p. But I once forgot to change the imagesize tab and left it on "keep original size". The device complained that it doesn't do bigger than 720x576 and won't play the file.
    Last edited by Din Viesel; 7th Jun 2012 at 03:34.
    Quote Quote