VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recorded two separate TV shows from my Panasonic Blu Ray recorder to separate BD-RE discs. I thought I would try and combine them on one BD-R disc. Stupidly I bought 10 x BD-R 50gb discs at $8.80 each, I think I should have bought BD-RE discs so I don't burn any coasters. I transferred both videos to my HDD, opened Nero Multi Media suite 10 and trimmed them to my desired length then burned the first one to a BD-R disc, worked perfectly, I then tried to burn the second video to the same disc but it told me put in a blank disc, at no stage did I see an option to finalize the disc so I now have a 50gb BD-R disc with only 8gb on it. Where did I go wrong? I am a complete newbie at Blu Ray editing, authoring and burning.

I am in Australia therefore I have the PAL system.

Thanking you in advance for helping a novice.
    Last edited by Lysdexic; 25th Apr 2012 at 05:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A blu-ray video disc should be finalized. Use BD-RE if you want to burn again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do not recommend multi-session burning like you tried to do. Many players cannot correctly read such burns. Some will only play the first thing burned. Others will only play the last. Burning everything at once is the safest course of action. Multi-session burns are almost never necessary with proper planning, but making something like a CD/VCD hybrid disc would certainly be one of the few good reasons to do a multi-session burn.

It's unclear to me if you are simply making data discs or trying to convert your source videos to BluRay format to make a proper BluRay disc. Please clarify if you are just trying to burn something like multiple MKV files to a single disc or if your goal is to burn 2 movies in proper BluRay format to one disc.

Finally if you need BD-RE media, I strongly recommend Verbatim. I bought one Sony BD-RE disc and 3 Verbatim BD-RE discs. My Verbatim discs are fine but the stupid Sony was only used twice and now I can neither erase it nor will my player read it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply. The folder structure on the BD RE disc I recorded from my Panasonic Blu Ray recorder is:
    AACS with a subfolder AACS_av and another subfolder BDAV with subfolders Clipinf, Playlist and Stream also I can't remember if the original programme was HD or SD but I suspect SD. The folder structure on the BD R disc I burnt to is: BDMV with subfolders Auxdata, Backup that also has subfolders BDJO, Clipinf and Playlist , BDJO, Clipinf, Jar, Meta, Playlist, Stream, Certificate with a subfolder Backup.

Whether this is just data or a proper Blu Ray structure I have no idea. What I am trying to do is put two TV programmes on one BD-R disc at the same quality they aired at. Does any burning to a Blu Ray disc have to be in Blu Ray format or can it be in DVD format? Apologies for not being familiar with the correct terminology.
    Last edited by Lysdexic; 25th Apr 2012 at 19:54.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have been using MultiAVCHD to put two BD movies onto one DB50 disc and this program will do what I think you are asking for. It's also free. It handles a wide range of video and audio formats, has a decent interface and a good range of output formats. Also install AviSynth (FFMPEG) and ImgBurn so that it can use these the codecs or utilities to fully function for the best variety of format transcoding and output options. If you install ImgBurn MultiAVCHD will hand over to ImgBurn to either write a disc or better yet make an ISO file, which you can test to see if it's what you want before committing to an irreversible burn.

However I have not been able to get MultiAVCHD to extract thumnails for either the main menu item images or chapter menu item images. I have tried BD streams, MPEG2 and MP4 on a variety of media, USB drive, DVD, BD Rewritable and ISO image. All play perfectly fine but it's just frustrating me how the thumbnail extraction process fails for any video source. I also tried various transcode methods, not transcoding etc but the result is always the same. I've also tried the x264 32bit and 64bit, no difference. I just don't like it to beat me.

However if this doesn't bother you then I recommend it. After all you still have the text to tell you what's what.

P.S. I haven't found any adware in MultiAVCHD thought there seems to be many claims about this on many forums. There is comment on the developers site from the developer saying only to download it from one of three sources linked on their site. There is also specific mention about what installer package is used. I'm guessing they're aware of the adware claims and without wishing to offend other download sources are just giving people a hint that if they download it from them it will be clean but they can't make the same promise elsewhere. I am surmising other sites that offer it as a download either demand an adware download manager or an installer package with adware in it. I advise to only download it from the links on the developer page, given this 'read between the lines' kind of warning.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Rextal for your in depth explanation as to what I should do. I examined the programmes you suggested but they are too sophisticated for me, I run a small business and would not have the time to learn them. I achieved my objective by joining the two videos together and burning them in Nero 10, pretty simple and unsophisticated I grant you but I have ended up with what I wished for. That is not to say that I am not grateful for your attempt to help me, I most certainly am but not experienced enough to take your invaluable advice.
    Quote Quote