VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have lots of 720 x 480 h264 TS files and I selected the "Auto" chapter option. In the Chapter preview picture the thumbnails are blank - the times are there but there's no pictures. Even if I load a chapter file the pictures still don't show. They also don't show on the finished disc.

I then did the same thing with an MPEG2 file and it worked.

So it looks like you can't get thumbnails with H264 TS files. Is this correct or is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried enabling or disabling the "use MPEG2 for menu encoding" option but it made no difference. Also TS, M2TS, MP4 or MKV doesn't make a difference.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 6th Apr 2012 at 18:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Well you're one better off than I. I can't get any thumbnails to appear in any menus, nor can I get animated menu items. I've tried a variety of source files and output formats. I keep getting an X264 crashed when it tries to extract a frame or build an extracted animation for a thumbnail in a title. This is irrespective of transcoding or not and any other setting I've tried. I'm very frustrated. I've also tried 32bit vs 64bit.

The disc otherwise builds and plays perfectly on any media (USB, SD, ISO, DVD, BD) with all menu items accessible, navigable and playable.

It is a very frustrating issue as everything else works so very nicely in it. It's just such a simple thing, or so it seems.

Yes I have the latest AVISynth.

I'm going to test the 8bit vs 10bit version of x264 to see if that's the issue, but I doubt it as the various input files all have varying codecs, resolutions, frame rates, formats etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I figured this out on my own. You just need to install the K-Lite Codec Pack Basic then the thumbnails will appear - strange how the author of Multi_AVCHD never mentioned that you needed that. If anything else isn't working there's a problem with your PC and you should format your hard drive then re-install Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Holygamer, Klite codecs did fix the issue, however in doing so I could no longer transcode 60fps HD content from my video camera. I played around with the various codec settings but in the end decided to just set the thumbnails (still or motion) to encode in MPEG2 and everything is fixed and working. The end result of the quality of stills or animations in thumbnails is not discernable even on my 120" HD projector screen.

Another issue I encountered with MultiAVCHD which might assist others is that every time I previewed an input MTS stream the AVSinfo stream wouldn't close and once this occured you could not then preview or alter another stream. Opening task manager and killing off the AVSinfo process released MultiAVCHD and things got back to normal. I often have 10 or so MTS files in the input list so I usually keep task manager open and repeat it every time I got to a different MTS track in the list of source files. Not ideal but it does work. Otherwise it just looks like the program has hung.

And lastly I accidentally copied in a whole blu-ray disc file structure instead of just individual MTS files and found that MultiAVCHD recognises it for what it is and uses it to determine play paths and chapter points. Doesn't sound all that great on face value but it means a LOT less manual work for you if that is already there. It's a very easy way to put two existing blu-rays on one.

When you do the above action MultiAVCHD asks you if you want to enter Blu_Ray re-authoring mode. Answering yes means it can only process one Blu-Ray file structure (or so it says). I haven't noticed this feature in the tutorial anywhere but it may be documented better elsewhere.

Once you have MultiAVCHD set up it is very easy to do everything you want from a large range of sources to a large range of outputs.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote