VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an event coming up where I'll need to record audio from an Acoustic Image CLARUS Series 4 two channel amplifier (head only). It has a few different outputs on it and I'm not sure which one to use to record directly into my Canon XA-10 camcorder (and I don't want to make a mistake for fear of damaging either my camcorder or that amp )

Here is some info about the amplifier:
    https://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2374-ACOUSTIC_IMAGE_CLARUS_SERIES_4PLUS_INSTRUME...AMPLIFIER.html
    and the manual http://www.acousticimg.com/docs/manual-series4.pdf

If anyone happens to know this unit, or knows which output I should use, I would appreciate your knowledge..

Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That amp is not the best for this sort of thing, but it looks like you have 2 options.

1. Mono "Direct Out" (line level) via XLR to Ch1 of your Mic input (set to external mic). Level should be line level attenuated, such that an average/med loud/solid signal registers as -18dbfs or -20dbfs. Most straightforward but it is mono (channels combined in the amp unfortunately).
    2. Each effect loop should also be a line level, and you ought to be able to keep separate/stereo channels, but you would have to custom build your cables (using only the "send" leg of the 1/4" jack) and then adapt that to standard XLR on the other end. Levels might need more tweaking, and you would be stuck with unbalanced audio this way, which could allow introduction of hum/interference.

Remember to not have it be "auto-attenuated". Manual level control is almost always preferable.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish there were an emoji for "right over my head" It would be nice to be able to keep the two channels separate going into the camcorder but I don't know about custom building cables.......
    Quote Quote