VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’ve conquered all my easy backups and now I’m on the more complicated ones so expect a question every couple of days. Gone With The Wind is one of my two disc movies and I would like to end up with one .avi file. This question has certainly been answered already but I can’t find it. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Merge them with DVDShrink, but no menus, and convert to avi with say, Autogk...Or Merge them and create avi with DVDFab...
    http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or convert to two avi files and then just join using virtualdub(video->direct stream copy, audio->direct stream copy,file->append) or avidemux(video->copy, audio->copy,file->append).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Or convert to two avi files and then just join using virtualdub(video->direct stream copy, audio->direct stream copy,file->append) or avidemux(video->copy, audio->copy,file->append).

This is the method I tried but kept getting a “(audio or video) streams have different data formats” error. Would it make sense to AutoGK them at 100% video quality with a matching fixed width and 320CBR mp3 and maybe then VirtualDub (or would you re VirtualDubMod?) will allow me to append. Then AutoGK the combined file to the desired final size?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow
    Would it make sense to AutoGK them at 100% video quality with a matching fixed width and 320CBR mp3 and maybe then VirtualDub (or would you re VirtualDubMod?) will allow me to append. Then AutoGK the combined file to the desired final size?
    Use t0nee1's suggestion instead of this. Every time you encode you are lowering the quality. For best results you'd like to get that number of encodes down to 1.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1
    Merge them with DVDShrink, but no menus, and convert to avi with say, Autogk...Or Merge them and create avi with DVDFab...
    http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

But wouldn’t AutoGK still see the compilation as two “episodes” on one disc?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, one more question, do you ever sleep? I see your responses on almost every question and the two I’ve posted you’ve answered within minutes. Clearly you are an asset to the community so THANK YOU!

Knowledge defines humanity so teaching is the most humane act.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Shrink you'll be creating a single DVD from a 2-disc set...AutoGK will treat it as such...Why don't you just try it?..Nothing to lose but a little time right?...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely if you are trying to encode each disk separately with an automated process, the utility that you are using is specifying different settings for each disk. I usually Grab all the VOBs for the main movie using DGindex (or similar tool), create a .d2v, use VFAPI Reader to encode that into a dummy avi, use VirtualDub to encode the dummy avi. This is the old school way of doing things aka long way. But i have yet to have this method fail on me.
    Quote Quote