VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

My 2006 Panasonic DMR-EH55S Panasonic DVD recorder won't read, play, or record discs. I brought it in to a local authorized Panasonic repair dealer last week, and it needs a new digital drive. The HDD works fine, and I can still record programs via the timer there.

I'd like to buy a used 2006 Panny DVD recorder (with a well working digital drive) from eBay or elsewhere, and replace the digital drive to the DMR-EH55S. From what I've been reading, I understand it's possible to do so. True? How difficult is this to do?

Which specific 2006 Panny DVD recorder models can I use for this"swap".

Thanks in advance for the info.

Marshall
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consult the parts list in the service manual:
    http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=DMR-EH55S&kategoria=&kat2=schematics

Then compare the part number against other models, or search for the part number on the Internet. Parts suppliers usually list all compatible models for a particular component.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot believe this has to be said, but you do realize that electronic components do not last forever, right? You can buy a 6 year old recorder if you want to salvage the burner out of it but in a few months you could be back where you are right now, needing to replace the burner.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
    Consult the parts list in the service manual:
    http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=DMR-EH55S&kategoria=&kat2=schematics

Then compare the part number against other models, or search for the part number on the Internet. Parts suppliers usually list all compatible models for a particular component.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Marshall
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I cannot believe this has to be said, but you do realize that electronic components do not last forever, right? You can buy a 6 year old recorder if you want to salvage the burner out of it but in a few months you could be back where you are right now, needing to replace the burner.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct with all you say.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The following thread appears to be quite detailed.

Swapping Panasonic DVD Drives, Compatibility Considerations:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

Unfortunately you are required to register before you can view the attachments.

Does your drive have two cables, one for power and a flex cable for data? Or does it have several cables for the various motors and for the optical pickup?

The former would integrate the digital electronics on the drive, much like a typical IDE model in a PC. If that is the case, then you could obtain a small adapter PCB that converts the interface to a standard 40-pin IDE type. I have scrounged such an adapter from an LG recorder. You could then connect the Panasonic burner to a PC, and capture an ATA Identify ATAPI Device dump. These data would include the model number, serial number, WWN, etc. Presumably you could then hack the firmware in a standard IDE burner and substitute the required model number and serial number, etc. I've hacked the firmware in my old Ricoh 2x CD burner, so I know that it shouldn't be too difficult.
    Last edited by fzabkar; 12th Feb 2012 at 16:48. Reason: extra information
    Quote Quote