VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    Ive been using VMW for a while and i've noticed that exporting a full blu-ray as BD25 movie takes about 4-5 on CBR and double time on VBR
    While using BD Rebuilder it takes only 1-2 hours on 2 passes.

What's wrong here? if you need any extra info just ask please.

Here is settings in both apps.

Thank you.
    Last edited by danswano; 26th Aug 2014 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably BD Rebuilder is using faster encoding settings. You can look at the .ini file , or look at mediainfo on the output file. In your screenshot, VMW is using "Normal". If that correlates to the "medium" x264 preset, you can get 3-4x faster by using --preset superfast or ultrafast . Or you can make it 10-20x slower by using "placebo" .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there a quality vs performance issue here if i used fastest instead of normal?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by danswano View Post
    Is there a quality vs performance issue here if i used fastest instead of normal?
    There is with x264 . The slower presets offer better compression (thus better quality at a given bitrate or filesize) , but there are diminishing returns - it's usually not worth 10x slower for 1% better compression
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there anything you suggest me to try other than performance adjustment?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't use WMW. I'm only guessing that the "performance" drop down correlates to the x264 settings. Because x264 is actually doing the "heavy lifting"

If it's too slow for you, try something faster, it's as simple as that. I think BD Rebuilder might be using --preset fast or faster on that run if it's about 2x faster
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you poisondeathray for you precious time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. One thing to keep in mind is that VMW adheres very tightly to BR specs. I have often found that a slow encode in VMW that works out of the box takes less time overall than a faster encode in other SW that needs to be redone. YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!