VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can download a short working sample of a DivX Ultra file which contains menus.
    I currently have 2 such .divx files and although the menus shows up in DivX Player they do not work in a Philips DVDR5500 Player which is supposedly DivX Ultra certified.

Thanks in advance
    exonx
    Last edited by exonx; 2nd Jul 2012 at 08:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try renaming the file *.divx if it is currently *.avi
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks FulciLives,
    The file is already a .divx file and it plays fine in the software DivX Player just not on the Divx certified DVD player. I wanted a sample with menus that was known to play in a DVD player so that i could try it on my Philips DVDR5500 to confirm that it was the player that was at fault.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own 2 Philips divx Ultra certified players (DVP5140, DVP5990 )and none of them show the menus on a .divx file. I came to the conclusion that it just didn't matter since both players showed the files with a standard Explorer style menu. The only thing that mattered to me was the chapters and selectable subs wich I could get using aviaddxsubs. I don't know what if any certified hardware players actually show the menus which makes me wonder why divx menus even exist.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly, I think there were 2 programs that could create Dixv Ultra menus. TMPGenc could do it and so could some other program. It could be that what you have was not created in a way that truly meets Divx Ultra certifications. Or it could be that Divx Ultra certification is not what it's cracked up to be. The number of people who really care about this is pretty small and even the Divx guys themselves are pushing H.264 encoding instead of true Divx encoding (H.263).

One more thing - by any chance are these files in high def? DVD players will not support Divx high def so if your menus and files are in high def, that could be the real issue rather than it being a certification problem.
    Last edited by jman98; 5th Jul 2012 at 09:44. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally tried tmpgenc and divxmediabuilder and all standard def vids to no avail. Menus showed fine on PC but not on certified player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Thanks marioval you've confirmed what I suspected that it was my DVD player that was at fault. I just didn't imagine that other Philips DivX Ultra certified DVD players wouldn't show the menus either but like you said they will work with the explorer type menus.

jman98
    The files were created with TMPGEnc Authoring Works as SD 720x576 files not HD, and like I mentioned they play fine in the software Divx Player. It was just my curiosity really. No big deal but thank you both for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I will just briefly say that while I was at one time in the past a supporter of the company, I am not surprised at all that their certification program seems to have holes in it. You might consider contacting them directly at www.divx.com and see if they have any suggestions.
    Quote Quote