VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone ever do a comparison of VHS tapes to see how a $2.00 tape compares to a $7.00 tape when recording from computer? How much does it matter? Interestingly I can't find much info about that when I search the web.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't tested other brands but stay away from Sony VHS tapes (and diskettes). They are very poor quality - recording in SP mode looks like it was recorded in LP or SLP mode. Maxell is slightly better quality.

TDK, Fuji and Scotch are good.

For TDKs, don't get the cheapest ones, get the one just above (white packaging with a black square and a dash of red). I think they are called TDK HS. They should be widely available. They used to earn the highest ratings on Consumer Reports.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tjmanning
    Anyone ever do a comparison of VHS tapes to see how a $2.00 tape compares to a $7.00 tape when recording from computer? How much does it matter? Interestingly I can't find much info about that when I search the web.

Thanks
    On the more expensive VHS recorders, you wont see much of a difference in quality playback at the time you make the recording.

The less expensive machines will require more expensive tapes. In the UK Scotch make some of the best tapes out with a lifetime guarantee, along with TDK

However in the long run, the cheaper tapes may stretch, snap or even deposit the oxide on your VCR heads !!
    Quote Quote