VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am totally knew at this and am ready to rip my hair out. I made a video using Window Movie Maker(audio and visulal), hoping I could make a DVD for my parent's weddiing anniversary. When I got to the "make the movie" part, I realized that I could only burn the video onto a CD-R. Well, that of course does not play in a DVD player so I am frustrated. Is there any way I can convert this CD-R into some type of format or using some other program to a DVD? If I can't do that is there any way I can play this CD and project onto a large screen? The only solution I can come up with is to take my computer to the party and play it on my computer screen. Any help for this totally helpless newbie will be greatly appreciated!!! I also have Nero programs and a program called CD Burner XP Pro, but I can't make any sense out them, could I use those programs to convert this movie?)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What was the final output? VCD? WMV? We have to know that before we can help. Most cheap DVD players will play VCDs and straight Mpegs. Very few will play formats like WMV. What were the steps you used to create the video in the first place?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick reply!! However I am so video making challenged that I'm not even sure how to answer your questions. It's like teaching a baby to walk here Final output appears to be WMV. I will try to explain what I did the best I can....I used a Maxell Photo CD-Rpro on the Window Movie Maker. I made the movie dropping pictures and music onto the storyline, then clicked make movie and it prompted me to insert the CD-R. (which only plays on my computer not a DVD player) I am trying the Nero Smartstart as I speak, It let me import the video in but I will see what I get when it is finished burning. I am using an Imation DVD + RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you still have the Movie Maker project ?

That is, can you load it up and output again ?

If so, open Movie Maker, and this time output as DV avi. This will preserve the highest quality (much better than WMV, and easier to convert to DVD as well). The option isn't obvious, but it is there.

Click on Save to My Computer, enter your file name etc., then click Next.

Click on Show More Choices, then Other Settings.

Click on the drop down list, and select DV avi, then click Next.

You can now use the output in FAVC or DVD Flick to make a DVD compliant with standard DVD players.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the step by step instruction! That helped immensely. Thanks also for the links to the FAVC and DVD Flick. I'm downloading the DVD Flick now and keeping my fingers crossed!!
    Quote Quote