VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a dvd video I made with my camcorder, and assembled a number of files into one DVD presenation.
    I lost the original files, and only have my moms copy of the DVD I made, (this one of a family reunion outing). I am trying to rip it to DIVX format, or AVI format for my sister to watch on her computer.

There are several VOB Files. VTS_01_1.vob thru VTS_01_5.vob. The first 4 are about the same size of 1,048.574kb in length, while the 5th is only 627,016kb.

I am using iWisoft video converter. When I load all 5 VOB files, file 4 is showing ZERO length. Yet I can use either windows media player, or Nero 9 media player and watch that file.

Since Iwisoft does not show the file to have any length, it is skipping it. Can anyone tell me what is happening here, and how to correct it?

and if I try to use Moya DVD ripper, the output file has 1 to 2 second skips in it about every 90 seconds.

never encountered something like this before.. and I am fairly new at video editing and converting.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's crap? Try something else like fairuse wizard or handbrake 0.9.3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with Baldrick...use some approved software like Handbrake (VidCoder, Hybrid etc) or Fairuse Wizard or alike.

I'm confused about how many weird offsprings of DVD converters there are. Iwisoft?
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another agree. What software did you use to create the original (your mom's) DVD presentation?
    If it's something rare and exotic you may have little hope of rescuing it.
    If Baldrick's or leghorn's software suggestions don't work try FixVTS and/or VideoRedo (30 day trial), then try to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try Mpg2Cut2 (free) to open the "bad" vob file and remux it to an MPG file. Or open all of them at once and save as a single MPG file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Apr 2012 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How does the original DVD disc play? Because if it all runs together back-to-back, you should go back and RE-Rip the disc - this time use DVDDecrypter and set the IFO settings panel to make the VOBs be unlimited size. It will then correctly concatenate/join the VOBs.

Then use Vob2Mpg to get your 1 single, clean MPG that can be used as a source in many conversion apps...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Another agree. What software did you use to create the original (your mom's) DVD presentation?
    If it's something rare and exotic you may have little hope of rescuing it.
    If Baldrick's or leghorn's software suggestions don't work try FixVTS and/or VideoRedo (30 day trial), then try to convert.
    I think I used NERO to create the original DVD, from Mpg files from my Sony Camcorder, but it was a few years ago that I did it. I think the copy I have is a copy of the original DVD I made.

Ok, will try those suggestions and get back to everyone.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    Agree with Baldrick...use some approved software like Handbrake (VidCoder, Hybrid etc) or Fairuse Wizard or alike.

I'm confused about how many weird offsprings of DVD converters there are. Iwisoft?

Well, I tried the fairuse wizard, and was able to get a proper rip of the files.. Thank you! The only thing I did not like about fair use was that I could not select files on my hard drive.. they had to be ISO on the hard drive, other wise they had to be on a dvd disk in one of the CD/DVD Drives..
    Quote Quote