VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to take say a 1 hour show, and just keep maybe 5 minutes, basically I want to make a clip of certain parts.

I bought Cyberlink Powerdirector and seems to do the job, but makes the file size so huge?

Is there a better tool that can do this without reencoding to make it a different size? For example original file is 1.5 GB for 1 hour, and the clip I made which is only 5 minutes, is 500 MB, using MP4 format.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest34343
    It depends on the format of your source file and what kind of output file you want to create. So give us details on that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for getting back to me.

Most of my sources are either MPEG or MKV, using h.264 I think

I usually try to output as an mp4 because from what I understand that is a high quality format without losing too much and still giving decent file size.

When I select it in Powerdirector I usually try to keep it same as source: 1280x720.

What I don't understand is I have an mp4 file here that is 45 minutes long, 1280x720, and HD quality 720p and is only 1.3 GB, if I just take 5 minutes of the video cut it, and then paste as a new video and then produce it will be 300 MB, that is too big? Is there a way I can get it smaller?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Free Video Dub (Part of FreeStudio) will allow you to make a clip without reencoding (quality out same as quality in)

I usually try to output as an mp4 because from what I understand that is a high quality format without losing too much and still giving decent file size.
    Mp4/MKV is merely container format. Quality depends on what's in these containers, ie codes/bitrates used for video/audio, resolution of video on so on. There are tools to change container format without changing the content.

What I don't understand is I have an mp4 file here that is 45 minutes long, 1280x720, and HD quality 720p and is only 1.3 GB, if I just take 5 minutes of the video cut it, and then paste as a new video and then produce it will be 300 MB, that is too big? Is there a way I can get it smaller?
    Without reencoding you would get a filesize for your 5 min clip of 5/45 * 1.3 GB = 0.15 GB
    You could reencode this to get it smaller with a loss in quality.

Use MediaInfo (in text mode) to get info about your files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Free Video Dub (Part of FreeStudio) will allow you to make a clip without reencoding (quality out same as quality in)

Mp4/MKV is merely container format. Quality depends on what's in these containers, ie codes/bitrates used for video/audio, resolution of video on so on. There are tools to change container format without changing the content.

Without reencoding you would get a filesize for your 5 min clip of 5/45 * 1.3 GB = 0.15 GB
    You could reencode this to get it smaller with a loss in quality.

Use MediaInfo (in text mode) to get info about your files.

Thanks for the help I am going to take a look at the link you posted, I downloaded mediainfo and see this about my 1 hour show:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 41mn 57s
    Bit rate : 4 332 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 21.2 Mbps
    Width : 1 276 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.197
    Stream size : 1.27 GiB (96%)
    Title : Imported with GPAC 0.4.6-DEV (internal rev. 5)
    Writing library : x264 core 125 r2208 d9d2288
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-04 02:12:29
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-09-04 02:12:36

Now in powerdirector when i choose mp4 and do a custom profile the lowest it will allow me is to set it to 6000 Average Bitrate, I assume if I can lower this more I would get a smaller file size right?

Is that why my files are much bigger then the source?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're re-encoding it. That's why it's larger and worse quality, and takes longer

You wan't to cut it without re-encoding it, or "stream copy". Same quality, much faster

Another option is avidemux 2.6

Load your video
    Mark in/out your spots, using the "<<" and ">>" to snap to keyframes
    video=>copy
    audio=>copy
    format=>mp4
    CTRL+S to save, remembering to enter extension (eg. "myfile.mp4")
    Quote Quote