VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was tryign to play this dvd and it wouldn't show any video except a black screen. So I loaded the .ifo files in Ifoedit and did Get VTS Sectors and it still wouldn't work right. So I tried another program to see if it'd identify what was wrong. To this effect I tried DVDRemakePro, and it showed this:

Importing DVD...
    Read DVD from: I:\LESMISNTSC1
    Read VMG
    Read VTS1
    Read VTS2
    Read VTS3
    Read VTS4
    vts_c_adt <= vtsi_last_sector (781:VTS.cpp)
    can't load VTS 4

Attempt import from VIDEO_TS subdirectory...
    Read DVD from: I:\LESMISNTSC1\VIDEO_TS
    Path to DVD does not exist. (131VD.cpp)

I just want the DVD to get to the menu screen properly. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try opening the VIDEO_TS directory in PgcEdit? I seem to remember something about PgcEdit automatically fixing the VTS_C_ADT table. It might be as simple as opening in PgcEdit, and save it back...or maybe not. Worth a try, anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...or try FixVTS->Full DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok i used pgcedit. When it opened it it said something about trying to read the data after the table which means the table length is incorrect, and to fix it in IFOEdit, something about changing the value to 0. I can post the picture of the warning message if you want. Heres the log though:

Attempt to read data after end of table
    Attempt to read data after end of table
    while executing
    "error "Attempt to read data after end of table""
    (procedure "get_int" line 18)
    invoked from within
    "get_int data 4 4"
    (procedure "read_VTS_IFO" line 71)
    invoked from within
    "read_VTS_IFO [file join $directoryname "VTS_[format %02i $vtsnum]_0.IFO"] $vtsnum $sectorsvar $pgcsvar $menusvar $ttnsvar"
    (procedure "readdvd" line 84)
    invoked from within
    "readdvd $dvddir ::raw_sectors :gcs ::menus ::ttns"
    (procedure "::main::Read_New_DVD" line 42)
    invoked from within
    "::main::Read_New_DVD"
    (menu invoke)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happens when you try MOVIEGEEK's suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the fixvts program idea, the full dvd method worked pretty good. So far it plays now in PowerDVD, but DVDremake freezes when I try importing it and DVDShrink still says invalid dvd navigation structure. Glad it atleast plays though. But I wanted to join both dvds together. So I think theres still some problem with it.

Ya so it plays but I get the same error in PgcEdit. The same error I posted before about incorrect length of the table etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, if you want to keep plugging away, a Mock Strip can often fix it when nothing else will:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84097
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't quite understand that guide. You strip the menu's and vob's to a destination folder and then take those and overwrite the original ones? Why would you have to do that if all the stripped files are already at the destination folder. Regardless, I tried it for video_ts.ifo. Really no different there. On the other hand theres this one file. Vts_04_0.ifo that's 0KB. Maybe I can get rid of that one? No idea how it got ot that size. Can I just use Vobblanker to get rid of that or just delete it myself. Heres the error I talked about previously also.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you can live with the main movie only, which might get rid of all the problems, select the ifo of the largest set of vobs. normally vts_01_0.ifo and strip that with the vob extras command in ifoedit.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    |Supreme|,

That VTS_04 has been the problem since the beginning. Two things you might try in PgcEdit. With both ways it would be a good idea to let PgcEdit do a Backup or Incremental Backup for you before trying them.

1.) If VTS_04 is the last vts (no VTS_05, etc), then under the "Dvd" menu, select "Delete Last VTS in DVD". Then check to see if the dvd works right or not. Since your current troubles concern VTS_04, dumping it should eliminate your current problem, but could introduce a new one. That's why you should check the results. If the dvd now works correctly, you're done. If the maybe-fixed dvd has gone way bad, restore your backup and try the second option (below).

2.) I see from your error message that PgcEdit actually IS offering to fix the problem, it's just not recommending that course of action. Since you let PgcEdit make a backup, you've got nothing to lose by letting PgcEdit try to fix the error. Once again, check the resulting dvd to see if it works correctly. If not, restore your backup.

I'm glad to hear that FixVTS at least partially fixed your problem. I use that program all the time with very good results. I blame lack of sleep for not mentioning it. At least that's the best excuse I can think of. Maybe later I'll come up with a better one. It's lucky for you that MOVIEGEEK's brain cells are fully functional.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi-

I don't quite understand that guide. You strip the menu's and vob's to a destination folder and then take those and overwrite the original ones?

No, you just perform the mock strip on the problem VTS, VTS_04. It's saved me a couple of times when I couldn't get anything else to work. However:

Vts_04_0.ifo that's 0KB.

That's not good. And the BUP file is the same size? And the VTS_04_1.VOB has real video in it? If there is some video, but you don't much need it, I'd answer "Yes" to the PGCEdit question. If there isn't any video in VTS_04_1.VOB, I'd definitely answer "Yes". Just echoing VegasBud's solution #2.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Heres what happened so far. I was using ifoedit and somehow the vts4 file got messed up more like one of its vob's got removed somehow and then pgcedit prompted me to remove vts4 and I said yes. And now after further monkeying around with ifoedit and fixvts again, I still have another problem.

Before I'd still get dvd navigational errors, but the file played fine. I think it was just a tiny error with the vts4 screwing things up. But now its back to the frozen black screen. I really want to keep the menu because it has ways to jump to certain sections i want. heh never had a dvd problem this crazy before, but i'll take any help available ;o
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sounds like it's time to start over. Decrypt with DVD Decrypter in File Mode, or if it has extra "protection", maybe use DVDFab Decrypter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try DVDFabDecryptor. Then FixVTS - They've both gotten me through some "interesting" DVDs of late.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I think the reason dvd shrink had problems with it was because incorrect value in the table. Must have said there were 4 vts's, but there was no reference to the 4th one or something.

I just want to solve this black screen problem as of now. Seems ridiculously as simple as the last one. Must be some navigation error thats causing it to not start right. Isn't there any guide that deals with using ifoedit or pgcedit to edit stuff like this?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are lots of guides for IfoEdit, and PgcEdit, but not that address your particular problem. The general answer to your problem appears to be a Mock Strip in IfoEdit (of VTS_04 in your case) as manono suggested, but that didn't turn out so well for you last time.

After some checking, it appears that VobBlanker does build a new VTS_C_ADT as part of it's ifo processing. If you haven't tried running your dvd through VobBlanker yet, this might be a good time to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ok giving it a try vegasbud. Will report back when its done.

My main question throughout this whole thing is what causes a dvd to just have a black screen like that and freeze? I'm using powerdvd so many its just that program I'm not sure. Just seems like a slight navigation error, maybe doesn't know to just start the movie right away. So I keep thinking a problem like this just takes a quick ifo edit or something.
    Quote Quote  
  18. NICE! It worked . Vobblanker filled in the tables and rebuilt everything. First time it didn't do anything, I had to check fix vob int pointers and then poof played perfectly. Thanks for the tip vegas and everyone else's input
    Quote Quote