VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4jioW1Ijs&feature=you...

I want to fill the black bars to the sides and the tiny bit under the video to achieve full 4:3 Aspect ratio.

How can i do this?

More about : black bars filli
    Quote Quote  
  2. "fill the black bars" -- What does that mean? You want to remove the black bars? Just about every editor has the ability to "crop" and "resize". Is this what you're looking for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	24868
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Apr 2014 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    "fill the black bars" -- What does that mean? You want to remove the black bars? Just about every editor has the ability to "crop" and "resize". Is this what you're looking for?

[Attachment 24868 - Click to enlarge]
    I dont know what crop is exactly but yeah i would like to resize so it is full 4:3.

Kinda hard to explain. Kust look at the Picture i posted above. Toom in and press F11. It should just like that.
    My video is smaller than that picture.

Any tutorial about resizing videos?
    Quote Quote  
  4. So crop away the black borders, resize to 1440x1080, then add black borders to the sides to fill out the 1920x1080 frame. Every video editor can do that. Something like the attached video?

It's not clear to me exactly what the aspect ratio of the video sans black bars should be. I assumed it was 4:3. Though, if you just remove the black bars you have something closer to 5:4.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Apr 2014 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So crop away the black borders, resize to 1440x1080, then add black borders to the sides to fill out the 1920x1080 frame. Every video editor can do that. Something like the attached video?

It's not clear to me exactly what the aspect ratio of the video sans black bars should be. I assumed it was 4:3. Though, if you just remove the black bars you have something closer to 5:4.
    Thats exactly what i want!

But how did you do this?
    If you have the time could you give me a little tutorial of what you used or a video link pls?

It looks so much sharper than mine aswell. My Mind is blown.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Exactly what I did probably won't help you because I use AviSynth (a text script based video filtering system) and the x264 command line encoder. I downloaded the video as test.mp4 then:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("test.mp4") 
    Crop(34, 2, -30, -6)
    LanczosResize(1440, 1080)
    AddBorders(240, 0, 240, 0)
    Most GUI editors will allow you to do something similar. First apply a crop filter to remove the black borders. That leaves you with a ~576x472 frame. Then apply a resize filter to make the frame 1440x1080 (4:3). Finally add 240 pixel wide borders to the left and right to fill out the 1920x1080 frame.

Actually, I didn't use LanczozResize() to upscale the video. I used advanced upscaling techniques with nnedi3_rpow2(), aWarpSharp(), and Sharpen(). I also quickly (in terms of writing the script, not processing speed) denoised the video with McTemporalDenoise().

If tell people what video editor(s) you use someone can probably give you more specific instructions.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Apr 2014 at 11:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Exactly what I did probably won't help you because I use AviSynth (a text script based video filtering system) and the x264 command line encoder. I downloaded the video as test.mp4 then:

Code:
    Crop(34, 2, -30, -6)
    LanczosResize(1440, 1080)
    AddBorders(240, 0, 240, 0)
    Most GUI editors will allow you to do something similar. First apply a crop filter to remove the black borders. That leaves you with a ~576x472 frame. Then apply a resize filter to make the frame 1440x1080 (4:3). Finally add 240 pixel wide borders to the left and right to fill out the 1920x1080 frame.

Actually, I didn't use LanczozResize() to upscale the video. I used advanced upscaling techniques with nnedi3_rpow2(), aWarpSharp(), and Sharpen(). I also quickly (in terms of writing the script, not processing speed) denoised the video with McTemporalDenoise().
    Sounds veeery complicated.

Maybe i should tell you this is the fist time for me editing a Video.

However the Result you achieved looks very clean i would like to try it are any tutorials you would recommand?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am using Sony Vegas 11 pro.

BTW those Sharpening filters you put in your video. Is it no oversharpening the picture in theory?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, they are probably over sharpening a bit. The actual script I used was:

Code:
    Crop(34,2,-30,-6)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="medium")
    aWarpSharp(10)
    Sharpen(0.5)
    nnedi3_rpow2(4, cshift="LanczosResize", fwidth=1440, fheight=1080)
    aWarpSharp(10)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    AddBorders(240,0,240,0)
    You could fine tune all the sharpening to your liking.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!