VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This is NEW disc, no dirt, no scratch, no defect. It could be played correctly with windows media player. There is no stoppage or error during playback. I want to make it into ISO or other kind of image files so that I don't need to insert disc later.

However, I've tried a lot of common burner software that include CDBurnerXP, MagicISO, ImgBurn etc.... They all return with error at the initial stage of burning. It suggests similar error message terms , something like '' Uncorrectable error ''

I've even tried DVD Decrypter, it is also not successful.

The following is the screen capture of the log of ImgBurn

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Commercial Video-DVDs generally come with some kind of copy-protection scheme, some kind of encryption that DVD-decrypters MAY solve. But a Newest Commercial DVD's encryption/copy-protect scheme will always arrive 'first' and only later do modern Decrypters solve those.

DVD DECRYPTER is not a 'modern' decrypter. It's an old one, using old decrypting scenarios, so there will be plenty of newer DVDs that thwart it. There are more modern Decrypters that get updates every month or more that MAY provide a solution.

But most commercial video-DVDs must be decrypted first before a backup can be made. So "burners" won't work - read more about modern decrypters (DVDFab HD, AnyDVD, TDMore and a host of others) and you may have to try several before one of them succeeds in creating a file-set copy of your video-DVD. (Many of the Decrypt/Copy processes contain an "output to ISO" format, too. Some do not.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by OllieTSB View Post
    Commercial Video-DVDs generally come with some kind of copy-protection scheme, some kind of encryption that DVD-decrypters MAY solve. But a Newest Commercial DVD's encryption/copy-protect scheme will always arrive 'first' and only later do modern Decrypters solve those.

DVD DECRYPTER is not a 'modern' decrypter. It's an old one, using old decrypting scenarios, so there will be plenty of newer DVDs that thwart it. There are more modern Decrypters that get updates every month or more that MAY provide a solution.

But most commercial video-DVDs must be decrypted first before a backup can be made. So "burners" won't work - read more about modern decrypters (DVDFab HD, AnyDVD, TDMore and a host of others) and you may have to try several before one of them succeeds in creating a file-set copy of your video-DVD. (Many of the Decrypt/Copy processes contain an "output to ISO" format, too. Some do not.)

hi, I've tried ImgBurn, MagicISO, CDBurnerXP, Alcohol 120, they ALL don't work, replying with error message like unreadable/uncorrectable. I'm now trying DVDFab, it looks close. It started at 1% and then stopped, frozen, very obviously the LED on DVD drive is not flashing and DVD drive is not heard to be running.

Some people commented that it's the faulty DVD drive or disc but I want to emphasize that the original DVD disc I want to copy (make ISO) is perfectly new with no dirt or scratch and it can playback with this DVD drive and be watched correctly. That's why I doubt it's because of the faulty drive or disc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need an up-to-date decrypter, like DVDFabDecrypter or AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kennysiu, you're misreading my comments. I wrote:

But most commercial video-DVDs must be decrypted first before a backup can be made.

That means, you MUST DECRYPT FIRST. Then you'll need to see if the DVD-FileSet fits onto a 4.3Gb DVD Blank. THEN you can burn. OR you can create an ISO.

You are doing the sequence backwards. You need to 1. Decrypt. 2. Fit or compress. 3. BURN or create ISO.

If this isn't clear, let us know.

Since you're in HK, you can download a good free decrypter like DVDFab HE Decrypter from it's Canadian website. This will allow Step 1 to be completed. This will decrypt and copy the DVD's File-Set to your computers.

You can use DVD-SHRINK for Step 2, to create a second DVD File-Set that will fit onto a 4.3Gb DVD blank.

3. Then you can use any of those burners - ImgBurn, etc. - to burn that second set of DVD Files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Kennysiu, you're misreading my comments. I wrote:

But most commercial video-DVDs must be decrypted first before a backup can be made.

That means, you MUST DECRYPT FIRST. Then you'll need to see if the DVD-FileSet fits onto a 4.3Gb DVD Blank. THEN you can burn. OR you can create an ISO.

You are doing the sequence backwards. You need to 1. Decrypt. 2. Fit or compress. 3. BURN or create ISO.

If this isn't clear, let us know.

Since you're in HK, you can download a good free decrypter like DVDFab HE Decrypter from it's Canadian website. This will allow Step 1 to be completed. This will decrypt and copy the DVD's File-Set to your computers.

You can use DVD-SHRINK for Step 2, to create a second DVD File-Set that will fit onto a 4.3Gb DVD blank.

3. Then you can use any of those burners - ImgBurn, etc. - to burn that second set of DVD Files.

Hi,
    HD Decrypter is downlaoded and installed, but I really don't understand!!! sorry!!! Please be more detailed
    Copy / Ripper / Convertor / Creator which one?
    and then what's the next
    I don't even understand what Decrypter means after looking up the online dictionary.
    I only need to have my task done. (turn the DVD into ISO or computer-readable format, no more inserting the DVD into the DVD ROM)

I tried HD Decrypter before, please read the following screen captured. It doesn't look usual. .....

lookks like stuck at 0.00MB/s and time left 00:00:00

Update: OK after long wait, it works, it finally generates 3 VOB files very quickly and could be playback with VLC player without the disc, it's a good start, but the total length of the three files is only 36min but the DVD running time (from start to the end, not counting the intro) is 1hour and 16 min. (or 76 min). Where is the 40min gone??

Last edited by kennysiu; 20th Sep 2014 at 20:18.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You did fine - for what you did. But you need to do "FULL DISK", not "MAIN MOVIE." Keep exploring. Keep trying. Just load your disk in, copy it to your hard-drive in different "file sets". You'll end up, eventually, with a Perfect Full Disk Copy.

Also... if you create imperfect or unsatisfactory File Sets, just go back and delete them. These can easily fill up a hard-drive if I don't delete them regularly.

Hint: I set the file VIDEO_TS.IFO as the main file 'to play'. Every DVD has this file in that VIDEO_TS folder. This file - VIDEO_TS.IFO - is the 'starting point' for all DVD playing by every DVD player. It points to the other files for proper Play Sequence, for proper Menu Display, for all controls.

VIDEO_TS.IFO

That's the real key to successful playing.

DVDFAB HD DECRYPTER will say that the trial period is 'over'. That's for all the BluRay and other features. The DVD COPY (both Full Copy and Main Movie) will run and run and run "forever". But every few months, you might want to download the latest version because it can update it's decryption processor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You did fine - for what you did. But you need to do "FULL DISK", not "MAIN MOVIE." Keep exploring. Keep trying. Just load your disk in, copy it to your hard-drive in different "file sets". You'll end up, eventually, with a Perfect Full Disk Copy.

Also... if you create imperfect or unsatisfactory File Sets, just go back and delete them. These can easily fill up a hard-drive if I don't delete them regularly.

Hint: I set the file VIDEO_TS.IFO as the main file 'to play'. Every DVD has this file in that VIDEO_TS folder. This file - VIDEO_TS.IFO - is the 'starting point' for all DVD playing by every DVD player. It points to the other files for proper Play Sequence, for proper Menu Display, for all controls.

VIDEO_TS.IFO

That's the real key to successful playing.

DVDFAB HD DECRYPTER will say that the trial period is 'over'. That's for all the BluRay and other features. The DVD COPY (both Full Copy and Main Movie) will run and run and run "forever". But every few months, you might want to download the latest version because it can update it's decryption processor.

Hi "Just load your disk in, copy it to your hard-drive in different "file sets". You'll end up, eventually, with a Perfect Full Disk Copy. " What are you talking about? I don't understand....

I've tried the 'Full Disk'' before and I just didn't capture the screen for full disk. The full disk mode just produces many more small files (obviously) not the video and couldn't playback. And the big video still only remains like that of the main mode.

What should I try next??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Instead of us spinning our wheels trying to make sense of your newbie interpretation of things, why don't you just SHOW us by posting screencaps of what you get when trying the various options?

You do understand that on a DVD-Video, a single "movie" may be composed of MANY VTS**.VOB files, right? This is normal.

Notice that your username is different: are you the same user as kennysiu? Why the change?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kenny___, there are a number of options. I've told you that the Real Startup Playing Control File is called VIDEO_TS.IFO. If you only play VOB's, then they halt at the end of that one VOB's limit. If you use the Real Startup Playing Control File, however, the entire disk will play IF YOU USED "FULL DISK" to copy-decrypt.

You need to experiment more. And more and more and more. Reading our notes here may not help because then Reading, Writing and Interpretative Skills become critical.

Experiment. Use your File Manager (Windows Explorer) to look at the file-contents on the DVD as well as those copied to your hard-drive.

One thing you've probably done is that, when you selected MAIN MOVIE ONLY to copy/decrypt, you're also offered "Which Title do you want to consider as The Main Movie."

You didn't select the correct one, obviously.

But YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. You don't, because you're not experimenting enough. If you're offered 5 Titles and select one that's not correct, what's your next option? ANY OF THE OTHER 4!

Experiment.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by kennysiu View Post
    hi, I've tried ImgBurn, MagicISO, CDBurnerXP, Alcohol 120, they ALL don't work, replying with error message like unreadable/uncorrectable. I'm now trying DVDFab, it looks close. It started at 1% and then stopped, frozen, very obviously the LED on DVD drive is not flashing and DVD drive is not heard to be running.

Some people commented that it's the faulty DVD drive or disc but I want to emphasize that the original DVD disc I want to copy (make ISO) is perfectly new with no dirt or scratch and it can playback with this DVD drive and be watched correctly. That's why I doubt it's because of the faulty drive or disc
    If recent DVD copying software is failing (software designed for copying copy protected discs) it's no doubt because the disc is faulty, and the error means what it says. There's a section of the disc which can't be read. I've had that happen a few times.
    When you play the disc in a DVD player, if it can't read a section of it, it'll probably skip it and keep going (which maybe you haven't noticed) or maybe you simply haven't played the video on the section of the disc which is faulty. Copying software tends to be all or nothing (although some such as DVD Decryptor can insert dummy data and keep going). If the drive is having a dummy split when it hits the unreadable section it might make it harder. Do you have access to a different drive? It doesn't mean your drive is faulty, just that it doesn't get along well with that particular disc.

I've got a few DVD drives and had occasions where only one of them would even acknowledge the disc had been inserted. Or times when I've literally had to copy sections of a disc with one drive, then other sections with another, until I managed to copy the whole disc that way.

Using a "movie only" copy method may work because the section of the disc which can't be read contains the DVD menus, or maybe the DVD extras etc. If you're lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sugarmouse View Post
    have you tried disney ?
    Spammer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Kenny___, there are a number of options. I've told you that the Real Startup Playing Control File is called VIDEO_TS.IFO. If you only play VOB's, then they halt at the end of that one VOB's limit. If you use the Real Startup Playing Control File, however, the entire disk will play IF YOU USED "FULL DISK" to copy-decrypt.

You need to experiment more. And more and more and more. Reading our notes here may not help because then Reading, Writing and Interpretative Skills become critical.

Experiment. Use your File Manager (Windows Explorer) to look at the file-contents on the DVD as well as those copied to your hard-drive.

One thing you've probably done is that, when you selected MAIN MOVIE ONLY to copy/decrypt, you're also offered "Which Title do you want to consider as The Main Movie."

You didn't select the correct one, obviously.

But YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. You don't, because you're not experimenting enough. If you're offered 5 Titles and select one that's not correct, what's your next option? ANY OF THE OTHER 4!

Experiment.

Thank you , but It looks like a little bit difficult for me. Now I 've already figured out a method, which is more direct and simple. I playback the movie with VLC player and let it record everything. The output file is somehow 3-4GB for an one hour long film but it is still acceptable. I don't know if the quality will be downgraded but it may be a tradeoff at the expense of convenience
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    I playback the movie with VLC player and let it record everything.
    That is THE dumbest thing I've heard/seen today. Congrats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Its early yet ..........
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    I playback the movie with VLC player and let it record everything.
    We have another member, gastrof, who routinely does the same thing. I have tried it and it does work. VLC can be set up to record the original MPEG-2 video and audio to a file as the DVD is played and does not re-encode. The video and audio are a copy of what is on the DVD, so there is no change in the quality. However, I agree that ripping the DVD with one of the newer programs suggested for that purpose is normally a better idea and faster.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Sep 2014 at 09:27. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  17. Funny thing happened a couple weeks ago when I had the same issue with a movie. I tried the latest DVDfab, it would stop with an I/O error, so I thought I'd just make an ISO with Decrypter, but I got the same error. The next day I noticed a new hidden file on the desktop, can't remember the exact file name, it was something like disc.bin. The interesting bit is I got it done with DVDfab 8 on my other PC that runs XP with autorun and autoplay disabled. I didn't think twice and just deleted the file, then clued in and realized I should have ran it through an hex editor. I'll have to try that disc again next time I see my sister.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guy , I don't want to be dumb, I don't want to record, but I've really tried LOTS OF such software like DVDFab, AnyDVD, DVDDecrypter, and a lot you can name, none of them works for me. They look pretty the same sort of thing. I don't know what's going wrong with that
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The movie may be using a new version of bad sector copy protection that the trial versions of DVDFab and AnyDVD are unable to deal with at present. If it is a new, popular move, there will probably be an update for it eventually. If it is an obscure older title, you may have to email them about the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  20. VLC can be set up to record the original MPEG-2 video and audio to a file as the DVD is played and does not re-encode.
    It's nice to have options in the toolbox. Can you tell me briefly how you set up VLC to record the DVD? This might be useful sometime.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    VLC can be set up to record the original MPEG-2 video and audio to a file as the DVD is played and does not re-encode.
    It's nice to have options in the toolbox. Can you tell me briefly how you set up VLC to record the DVD? This might be useful sometime.
    A search should return many links about this. Use Tools-> Customize Interface add the Record button to the Toolbar if it isn't present. Play DVD. Click the Record button to start recording. Click the Record button again when done. The recorded .mpg will be in your "My Videos" folder.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!