VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I had MPC v 1.4.2499.0.x86 installed in my pc and I used it for a few years with no problems. I was trying to play an .avi movie but I could get the language to change to English. VLC Media Player has the option but it kept freezing and unfreezing every few seconds even tho I had the verbosity level set to 2, so I know the movie has the ability to play in English.

I then uninstalled MPC v 1.4 and downloaded and installed v 1.5.0.2827.x86 but Windows won't allow movies to open with it. I went into Properties and tried to change "Open with" to MPC but it wouldn't do it and I tried by right clicking on the file and browsing to open movies with MPC.exe but it does nothing. It wants me to choose either VLC or Windows Media Player.

I can open MPC and then browse to an .avi file that I want to watch and it will open it but I'd rather just double click on .avi files and have them automatically open with MPC like I did with v 1.4.
    Anybody have any ideas what's wrong?

P.S. v 1.5 doesn't have a setting to change the language to English either. I tried the 4 language options for this movie but they only change the speaker setup/# of channels.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is it just this Avi that you are haveing problems with ?
    if its all AVI trying using CCleaner to check out your reg and give it clean
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi garryward . . . thanks for responding.

The language problem is just with this movie.

The opening problem is with all avi files. I use Advanced Windows Care a couple times a day. It has a registry cleaner but cleaning the registry doesn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just uninstalled v 1.5, cleaned the registry and reinstalled v1.4 but v1.4 doesn't work now either. I get a message that says that it's "not a valid Win 32 application."

I'm just about ready to do a Restore
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like your OS is up the creak maybe worth doing a new install
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  6. I updated DirectX but it didn't help so I did a Restore and MPC 1.4 works again now. I'd like to know what the problem was tho but it'll probably be one of those mysteries that can be blamed on MS imps. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most times recognizing a optional player has to do with context menus. The player apparently has to register as a option for playback. Then it should show up when you Rclick a video. MPC shows up in my 'Open with' menu when I Rclick the video, but isn't listed in the main context menu. WMP, Zoom and VLC are. It probably depends on the programs installer if it can use the context main menu.

And I have had Windows mess all this up at times, probably because they want you to use WMP and make every other choice more difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So right clikc - open with - choose default - and then browsing to MPC doesn't work?
    Quote Quote  
  9. When I right-clicked and browsed to MPC, nothing happened at all, as if I hadn't done anything. The "Open with" menu was just there again.

The strange thing is that MPC v1.4 worked fine until I thought to update to v1.5. v1.5 didn't work and when I uninstalled it and reinstalled v1.4, v1.4 no longer worked until I did a system restore. I don't know what the difference was since it was the same v1.4 exe file that I have stored on one of my hdds.
    Quote Quote