VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I have lot of mkv files with subtitles in the mkv. How-ever there are commercials or parts I want to edit/cut out, but would want to keep the subtitle in sync possibly automatically also without loosing any quality of video/audio is there Any software to do that ? IF, Yes which one. Even if its not free I would buy it.

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    subs have timecodes. if you cut out parts you need to manually re-adjust subs.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. So no software which would do this automatically ? while cutting the video ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can 'top and tail' using mkvmerge and that will cut audio, video and embedded subs using the split command. I guess you could try cutting the file up into sequences removing the commercials and then adding them back via the append button to make a new mkv file. Just a thought? Or MKV cutter. What you really need is something like videoredo or womble that can handle mkv files. As long as the sub is contained within the mkv file it should all sync up...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can 'top and tail' using mkvmerge and that will cut audio, video and embedded subs using the split command
    audio&video: yes
    subtitles sometimes, see: https://trac.bunkus.org/ticket/895 (iirc. it works fine with picture based, but fails with text based subtitles)
    -> from my experience (doing tests for 'MKV Cutter'): if you want to cut text based subtitles, using mkvmerge is not really a good option.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did just try the videoredo the text subtitle file which was in the mkv is not there anymore unless there is a option that I need to select

These below were in the mkv file before cutting

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

How ever after the cut I do not even see the subtitle file in the mkv anymore
    Quote Quote  
  7. I Just did try the mkvmerge it worked how ever the cut is not that precise it is couple of sec more than what I put under split after duration most of the times.
    Quote Quote  
  8. mkvmergegui (and any other program which cuts without re-encoding) can only cut on keyframes, and unfortunately they're not always where you'd prefer them to be. In mkvmergegui's case, I'm pretty sure it uses the specified cut/split point, but cuts on the next keyframe, so I've developed the habit of setting the cut/split point around a second earlier than where I want it to be. Sometimes more if necessary.

Keyframes can be very close together but they can also be up to around 10 seconds apart. The x264 encoder is generally pretty good at placing keyframes on scene changes, which makes cutting easy, but I don't know what other encoders do.
    Quote Quote