VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 Version always seems to want to encode the captures from my HD-PVR. Is there a way to avoid that happening with either a setting in the capture or the authoring process. Thanks Roger
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    even mainconcept encoded files are not compatible leave alone hd pvr. They just made it compliant with tmpgenc video mastering works 5 so u need to purchase that software and make them and u happy for compliancy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really in a hurry, TBoneit? You posted like a clueless newbie there. I expected better from you. Cannot believe I have to say all this stuff like you were a first time poster...

By "HD-PVR" you mean the Hauppauge device by this name, right? Well, I have the Colossus which is in the same family. It only records in H.264 for video and audio defaults to AAC unless you have a Dolby Digital source AND use an optical cable for it, in which case it will record AC3 audio. You make no mention of your final output format. Of course H.264 is invalid for DVD. If you're making BluRays or DVDs then AAC audio would definitely be a problem. And you say nothing about what resolution you are recording at, so again, 720p and 1080i are invalid for DVD and would require re-encoding. You could always compare the output of what TMPGenc Authoring Works gives you with your source via MediaInfo and you might find some interesting differences. For example, perhaps you are recording at a level it doesn't like. I am not using the most current ArcSoft ShowBiz because the one that the Colossus uses does not allow you to set the bit rate like the older version I use does. However, the most recent update for Colossus allows various options such as level to be set and bit rate is about the only recording option I can set in the copy of ShowBiz I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting
    Quote Quote  
  5. jman98, I must have been having a off day when I posted that.
    I of course want to be authoring BluRay discs from the 1080i captures of the HD PVR.
    I can do DVDs in my sleep thsesdays. It is BluRay I'm having trouble with.

I tried the free stuff and was not real happy with the results.

So the AAC audio is the main problem for BluRay? For some reason BluRay is giving me problems. TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works output works fine but takes time and of course is encoding the video and thus reducing the quality somewhat. I got it to use for other things, however It does output files that the authoring program likes.

Thanks for the feedback
    TB
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought (bear in mind I haven't used any of this stuff) but how about re-encoding the audio to AC-3 first and then importing the new file (with AC-3 audio instead of AAC audio).

If both video and audio are compliant then maybe it won't re-encode anything. I can imagine that if one is OK but the other is NOT that it might then try to re-encode the whole thing, instead of just the stream that is incompatible. You dig?

Of course I have no idea if that is how it works but it makes sense to feed it a signal that is Blu-Ray compliant in total (both video and audio).

Of course if you do that and it still wants to re-encode then you know it doesn't like the video output of the HD-PVR (which would suck) but at least you would know FOR SURE.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks FulciLives

I'll have to experiment this upcoming Sunday.

It looks like Audicity can do it by installing ffmpeg if I'm not misreading it.
    Import and export AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library (this also supports import of audio from video files).
    BluRay for some reason seems much harder to do right. I do not remember having nearly this much trouble when I went from VCD to DVD.

Thanks Again
    TB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, AAC audio is invalid for DVD and BluRay both, so perhaps FulciLives has found the issue - it's just re-encoding everything if it finds AAC audio. Frankly I wish the chip that this family of products uses had better drivers from Hauppauge as the chip is actually capable of a lot more video and audio formats that it can encode to on the fly than we are allowed to use. You might also check your videos to see what level they are encoded at. It they were encoded at level 5.0 or greater that might be a problem too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Looks like I have one more thing to check, what level they are captured at. Many Thanks TB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I don't think I would use Audacity for AC-3 encoding. There are a lot of tools that can do that which are designed JUST for doing that.

Anyway ... I'm guessing (have no clue) that your files are MP4 files. If that is the case then I would use tsMuxeR to demux the audio file and convert to AC-3 with whatever software you want and then use txMuxeR again to make a M2TS file.

Then import the M2TS file into that TMPGEnc authoring program.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBoneit! u can bring ur hdpvr files in nero bluray authoring works and it will just encode audio to ac3 and the video will be smart render and if there is chance of reencoding that material in nero also choose in the setting instead of automatic or standard choose flexible, u will be able to pass this test.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Well I don't think I would use Audacity for AC-3 encoding. There are a lot of tools that can do that which are designed JUST for doing that.

Anyway ... I'm guessing (have no clue) that your files are MP4 files. If that is the case then I would use tsMuxeR to demux the audio file and convert to AC-3 with whatever software you want and then use txMuxeR again to make a M2TS file.

Then import the M2TS file into that TMPGEnc authoring program.
    from here: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
    Record formats

There are three H.264 formats you can choose when recording a video:
    • .TS, which is a generic 'transport stream' compatible with many digital media players
    • .M2TS, which is compatible with the Sony Playstation3
    • .MP4, which is compatible with the XBox360
    from here Audio http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html#tabs-5
    There are two ways of bringing audio into HD PVR: through the stereo audio jacks or through the optical audio connector.
    When bringing audio in through the stereo jacks, audio is recorded as AAC. When bringing audio in through the SPDIF optical audio jack, the audio is recorded in the format which is received. If the source provides AC-3 audio, the audio track is AC-3. If the source provides AAC audio, AAC audio is recorded. There is no conversion of the audio format.
    Which is most likely the Problem as the Optical is feeding the Sound system and no the HD PVR resulting in AAC audio.

You mentioned other tools than Audicity, Any you suggest?

Thanks
    TB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by addu View Post
    TBoneit! u can bring ur hdpvr files in nero bluray authoring works and it will just encode audio to ac3 and the video will be smart render and if there is chance of reencoding that material in nero also choose in the setting instead of automatic or standard choose flexible, u will be able to pass this test.
    The problem with that is I don;t have Nero in any shape or form. I use ImgBurn for all burning.

Thanks
    Roger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are a ton of ways to convert from one audio format to another but to make your life easy (and do it all in one step) I would use XviD4PSP

You can input the original file and select COPY for video (this means DO NOT RE-ENCODE) and select AC-3 for the audio and you can then have it output a TS or M2TS file (either should work with the TMPGEnc authoring program you have).

This way you don't have to demux or remux anything as the program will do it for you.

I use XviD4PSP 5.037 (we have a direct link to this version on the TOOLS page for it). If you wanted to try the newer version then go with 6.04 Portable (which you'll have to get from the XviD4PSP website).

I use both depending on the need. Either should work A-OK in this case but I suppose the newer 6.04 would have more up-to-date versions of the various tools. I tend to favor the older one since it allows editing the AviSynth script it makes, whereas the newer one does not, but you don't need that in this case so might as well use the newer 6.04 Portable version.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I am having the same problem with authoring works 5.

The HD pvr outputs a ts file and authoring works wants to reencode and will not smart render. the audio is AC3. I tried MP4 and m2TS versions still no luck. Level is not the issue' The software likes levels 4 and 4.1 High.

When you demux the TS file you get a .264 file video file that hangs up authoring works 5 when you import the file. If you recode the file in Mastering works 5 as video only mpeg4/AVC the file will smart rendor in authoring works 5.

it has something to do with the video file structure not being HD compatible. I am now thinking there is software BUG issue with authoring works 5.
    Last edited by Rick0725; 18th Sep 2012 at 22:33.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont have hd pvr but i think u configure first hd pvr capturing section and try like the parameter u just check ur file thru media info which u recode thru authoring works which was smart render and configure it on that setting for capturing may be this time u will be lucky to get the file done smart render.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    some genius did some more research and found a working x264 encoder setting for footage that does not get re-encoded by TAW5 at all:

x264.exe --no-progress --preset slow --tune film --nal-hrd vbr --weightp 2 --b-pyramid strict --bluray-compat --level 41 --keyint 25 --min-keyint 25 --aud --non-deterministic --slices 4 --bframes 2 --ref 1 --psy-rd 1:0 --fake-interlaced --bitrate 16000 --qcomp 0.6 --sar 1:1 --threads 0 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --bframes 2 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --b-pyramid strict --demuxer raw --input-res 1920x1080 --fps 25 --input-csp i420 -o output.264 input.file

Last edited by Rick0725; 25th Sep 2012 at 22:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes i m able to do it with x264 and certainly taw5 is smart rendering it without any hiccup. But for hdpvr u first need to configure the setting correctly than only i feel it will smart render.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    ***NOTE*** This discussion centers around settings, profiles, reference frames, and flags for creating 100% compliant MPEG-4H264/AVC Blu-Ray file structures only. It does not apply for encoding files to matroska, mp4, TS or other media since these have different rules.

I tested all the possible settings in the PVR...M2TS, MP4, TS for NTSC at avg and constant bitrate using ALL driver versions. NONE of the 1080i files smart rendered in any of the TMPGENC smart rendering software including Authoring works 5.

Update: 720P files will smart render and 1080i files will not after testing ALL driver versions. The HDPVR 1212 1080i files do not strictly meet the H264 specification for blu ray. The max GOP is too high for the 29.97 scan rate for 1080i for example. The 720P files will smart render even though the max GOP is 64 (but actually should be 60). Close enough but not at 100 % spec.

Another issue is the MBAFF interlace flag. The flag should be nonMBAFF for 720P and MBAFF for 1080i. The 1080i files are flagged non MBAFF/MBAFF. This flag setting error most likely is causing the "blurry" 1080i pictures.

End of story.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick0725; 2nd May 2013 at 21:07.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello guys i have finally reached my breaking point i have to consult with you pro's ok heres my whole thing
    i have original files lets say flv,mp4 i am trying my hardest to just burn a working dvd in as best quality as i can get it i have spent thousands on adobe premiere,sorenso squeeze,now i just bought tmpgenc video works 5,and tmpgenc dvd authoring 5 all i wan is to make a dvd with the best quality i can it always looks great in the preview then the second i burn it to disk it looks horrible i have a 1280X720 video that looks great i just want to get it on a dvd that looks good can anyone give me pointers i dont want to say im a noob but for the last 45 days i have tryed everything please help me
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i will offer a donation to anyone that helps me im very tech savy please guys
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how much it will be.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i mean im already 45 days in so i know my way around but i just cant get that perfect looking dvd and the donation could be discussed with the person who is goin to help me
    Quote Quote  
  24. SmartRender Success with Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1080/30p Recordings!

After months of frustration trying to import 1920x1080 30p video files into TAW5 without full rendering their output, I’ve ‘stumbled’ on a solution. I’ve read a number of comments on various forums that have echoed by frustrations, so I wanted to share how I’m able to import ‘BDMV – Smart Render compliant’ 1920x1080/30p Hauppauge PVR recorded video, into TAW5 … with NO encoding required.

This solution requires the use of NERO VIDEO, since this program doesn’t have issues importing Hauppauge 1920x1080 HD files and treats them as BDMV compatible video right from the start. However, if you do any editing whatsoever of the captured video while in NERO VIDEO, the program will tag the original progressive files -- as ‘interlaced’ – and that will produce video files that are no longer Smart Render-compliant when imported into TAW5. Therefore, they need to be imported into NERO through the program’s “CREATE AND EXPORT” utility (not the “EDIT AND IMPORT” utility.)

I’ve tested this solution with NERO VIDEO 12 and NERO VIDEO 2014, so I imagine NERO 2015/2016 would work as well. I also used the original Arcsoft Capture Utility to capture the video; it has setting options not found in the Hauppauge Capture utility.

ARCSOFT CAPTURE 1920x1080 (30p) HD RECORDING SETTINGS:
    - VIDEO ENCODER: Set bitrate to maximum (14000 kbps), Constant Mode.
    I haven’t found any differences in using either the M2TS, TS, or MP4 containers. Nor do any AC3 or AAC settings interfere with TAW5’s Smart
    Render requirements.
    - VIDEO PROPERTIES: Set GOP ‘B Frames’ to “1”, ‘Size’ to “3”, and ‘Muxed Data Rate’ to “3”.

- HAUPPAUGE H264 ENCODER:
    Select “Defaults” in the Video Encoder section, or make certain that the Profile and Level are set to “HIGH 4.0”.
    As long as there’s no corrupt video data present, NERO VIDEO (v.12 or higher) should import Hauppauge recorded video without the need for any encoding. (The following assumes you know how to use Nero Video.)

Using NERO VIDEO, select “Create A Blu-ray Disc”. Import your recording(s) into the CONTENT menu. Continue to the MENU CREATION options and select NOT to create menus. Continue to the final, PROJECT SUMMARY screen. Your imported video should show “Video SmartEncoding as 100%”. The audio is irrelevant. Write the project to a directory on your hard drive. When complete, open the BDMV/STREAM directory and find your .m2ts videos …. which are now ready to import into TAW5 as “Smart Render” compliant video files.

You can double-check with MediaInfo to make sure the file(s) are still read as Progressive. Also, that ReFrames is at “3” (not, “2”), Format Profile is “High@L4” (not, “4.1”).

ID : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name : D:\00000.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 2.33 GiB
    Duration : 21mn 58s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 15.2 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 14.1 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.228
    Stream size : 2.17 GiB (93%)
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 70.4 MiB (3%)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Why didn't you start a new thread for this?

TMAW5 and many other authoring apps hold rather strictly to BD spec. 1920x1080 29.97fps progressive is not valid for BluRay. Good luck.
    https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533
    http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authoritative-blu-ray-disc-bd-faq/4-physical-logical-and-...ifications#4.6
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  26. I didn't start a new thread because this is the thread where Roger asked his question. I haven't posted here in many years; is that now how it's normally done here? Answering questions from one thread, by creating a new thread?

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 Version always seems to want to encode the captures from my HD-PVR. Is there a way to avoid that happening with either a setting in the capture or the authoring process. Thanks Roger

Since I could answer Roger's question, it seemed strange to do so in another thread.

Fortunately, newer BD players don't hold as strict playback requirements as do some authoring programs. And thankfully, TAW5 does Smart Render my PVR 2's 1920x1080/30p files without the need to enncode. Authored discs playback fine on our three SONY's, TOSHIBA, and PANASONIC BD players ... though they may not on some old, first or second generation BD players.
    Quote Quote