VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello people I successfully made some backups of some movies that I legally own but after about 20 minutes of playing them I get the Cinavia watermark. I know is difficult to bypass the protection but I was hoping that somebody came with a solution that I missed earlier. I'm using DVDFab 9.0.6.3 and AnyDVD HD 7.3.3.0. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're very late to the party but anyway, we don't punish people are here in general for asking stuff that is already well known and old news.

NONE of the BD rippers can remove Cinavia. AnyDVD HD has a work around that prevents some software players from invoking Cinavia, but it does not get rid of it and it doesn't help when you play the rips on standalone players.

It is now known that it is possible to change the audio through audio editors and prevent detection, but the cure is worse than the disease. The resulting audio is of very poor quality. It's a bit like burning down your own house to prevent anybody in the future from robbing it. Yes you did make sure that you won't get robbed by destroying everything, but nobody would find that to be an ideal or rational solution to the problem. We've got other threads that describe exactly how to do change the audio if you want to do this, but I cannot emphasize enough that unless you are crazy, you won't find this to be an acceptable "fix" for Cinavia.

Standalone media players like the Western Digital models and similar devices do NOT recognize Cinavia. So it is possible to rip your BluRay discs, remux the main movie into an MKV container, and play that with no problems on a media player. Some BluRay players that support playing MKV files from a USB port may also not look for Cinavia on USB devices, but there is always the chance that Hollywood will force the manufacturers in the future to look for Cinavia on USB devices. They can't really force streaming media players to do this because Cinavia support is required for BluRay playback and since WD and other media players don't license BD support because they are strictly speaking not BD playback devices, they can't be forced to implement Cinavia. Note that a small number of Sony DVD in region 1 are also known to have Cinavia. This is not common and I think they can't make DVD only players forced to support it on DVD discs, but Sony DVD and BD players likely do support it on DVD discs. Note that in the MKV solution Cinavia is still there, it's just that the MKV playback device doesn't do anything with it.

Finally, this is not a practical solution, but it is known that Cinavia is almost impossible to find on BD discs sold outside of North America and even when it's used in North America, it's almost never used on anything but the main English language audio track. BD releases of the exact same Cinavia protected movie in other BD regions are known to not have Cinavia at all, not even on the English language audio track. So if you had a region free BD player (there are VERY rare and you would know if you had one because you'd have to seek it out to buy it) you could consider buying the releases in region B or C. But maybe the best thing to do is just say no to releases that use it. If enough consumers refused to buy anything that used Cinavia, Sony and the others would have to relent.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I've heard it reported that stand alone blu ray players that use a Mediatek decoder will ignore Cinavia if it is found in something other than blu ray format. So ripping to an mkv will allow you to bypass Cinavia detection in these particular players. Oppo is known for using this chipset, and some Sony and Samsung players have it also. This particular bypass holds true even for new players made since the inclusion of Cinavia in AACS was made mandatory. I haven't tested it myself.

Another workaround that works with some Samsung players is to insert a commercially made blu ray disc in the player and then play media files from another source, like a usb drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use HTPC so I'm not all that familiar with Cinavia but I'm guessing it's in both the HD and AC3 track?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by itznfb View Post
    I use HTPC so I'm not all that familiar with Cinavia but I'm guessing it's in both the HD and AC3 track?
    It can be. There's nothing that prevents this. However many BluRays don't have an AC3 track at all for the main language. There are lists that tell what tracks have it, so I suppose while it's possible to put in both, there may be discs that only have it in the HD track. You'd have to check the lists on a case by case basis to see what is reported.
    Quote Quote