VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FANTASTIC NEWS:

HEVC video CUT with direct-stream-copy (aka. without re-encoding) was successful with the help of XMEDIA recode software!

It works only with short (under 10min) videos. So do not try to cut full films!

Just TRY IT! And share you experience!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what? This can also be done with ffmpeg.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    So what? This can also be done with ffmpeg.
    Because majority of free softwares based on ffmpeg. Fut ffmpeg without a gui is meaningless. In its original dos-like user-anti-friendly primitive console mode, only the pianists typists like simple ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right. That's infantile. I could just as easily say: "only newbies use a GUI". Neither is true, even for the majority of cases.

The truth is: it is meaningless TO YOU!

Personally, I couldn't give a crap about HEVC until say ~3 years from now, because it won't affect my day-to-day working in the least until then. No sense attempting making or editing something when NONE of my family, friends, colleagues or clients are using HEVC yet, particularly not with hardware.
    I categorize this on par with "laboratory tests NOW enable Bluray to achieve 200layers and 2TB!" or "Cats upgrade SpeedRazr to UHD with 300 workarounds!".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not being techno savvy, I just did a crash-course on UHD/HEVC.

On what I read, I had difficulty in distinguishing the hype from the tripe.

And then I scratch my bald pate (head to you) on this 'Fantastic News' and I ask myself "What is the point ?"

Even if you can film 4K (and part of the hype/tripe revolves around the blatant re-writing of accepted video standards or vertical resolution now becomes horizontal and even that is not 4096 pixels), who would restrict that filming to 10 minutes to be able to edit/cut that without re-encode in the stated s/w ?

Talk about a non-event.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I kind of like the idea of 4K using the horizontal resolution, as then the aspect ratio isn't a factor. 3840x2160 or 3840x1000 it's still referred to as 4K (even though it's not actually 4096 pixels).
    1920x1080 and 1920x800 etc, being generally referred to as 1080p still seems to confuse some people at times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    3840x??? is not referred to as 4k, it's referred to as UHD. 4k is 4096x??.

2k, 2.7k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 8k, etc all are DCI film designations. The UHD equivalent of 2k is UHD1, and 4k is UHD2. Not all that intuitive, I know, but you might as well get used to it, as that is what it will be referred to in the media and by the industry.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 5th Aug 2014 at 23:32.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Tell that to all the major retailers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	26738

Name:	frys.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	26739

Name:	dell.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	26740

Face it, 4K and UHD are synonymous in the eyes of the public.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In any case it is good that possible to edit HEVC. Only the absence of UltraBD movie restrains interest.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You probably should edit the Wikipedia 4k page to correct it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

And this list could use some serious culling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4K_monitors,_TVs_and_projectors

I happened to be in an appliance store last week so I made my way to the TV section for my first look at a UHD TV. The Sony TV I looked at was running a fairly underwhelming demonstration video advertising the extra goodness of UHD compared to HD. Only I'm fairly certain the video referred to it as "4k".
    Last edited by hello_hello; 6th Aug 2014 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I happened to be in an appliance store last week so I made my way to the TV section for my first look at a UHD TV. The Sony TV I looked at was running a fairly underwhelming demonstration video advertising the extra goodness of UHD compared to HD. Only I'm fairly certain the video referred to it as "4k".
    Like this?

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	26746
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!