VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Have a Nikon Coolpix L19, takes stills and video, uses an SD card. So far have issues getting the Nikon transfer software to load, wondering if there's a way to transfer the video without it? The windows app that comes up only seems to recognize the still photos, not the video.

Is this likely something that's proprietary or should it be possible to load the video another way?

Thanks for all input
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the SD card for transfer, or a USB cable? I just use the SD card and transfer to the PC hard drive with that, same as any USB thumb drive. But the USB should work the same. A SD card > USB adapter would be my choice if you don't have a card reader on your PC. A lot easier than dragging out the USB cable.

I don't use any of the Nikon software. My Nikon P60 uses .mov format for video. It opens in VLC with no problem. If you add the .mov codec, it should open with some other players that can accept that format. You can also install ffdshow and use MPC for playback. Alternately, install QuickTime Alternative and it will install the codec that will also work for VirtualDub, and a player that can show the videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not for the first time I fully endorse Redwudz remarks .
    I use a cheap USB SD card reader to copy stills and movies files from my wifes Coolpix camera into the computer . Copy everything into the computer and then explore down the files to find the pictures . Many laptops have a built-in card reader . I use the same method for files from our camcorder . I have never even tried the Nikon software .
    Recently I used ' WinFF ' on a video clip taken using a coolpix to prepare it for e-mailing . ( then I also used an editor to add some music) The final clip lasted about 90 seconds . sent in ' xxx.wmv ' form , it was 320x240 and under 4 Mb in size . Hope this indicates what is possible with very basic equipment . experiment and enjoy yourself ... mike
    Quote Quote