VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded a few shows
    about my 1968 Shelby Mustang onto my DVR Motorola 7216-1 that I would like to keep on a DVD but also transfer the VOB files from the DVD to my computer for future editing to incorporate in my home movies.

So I was able to transfer some of the shows onto a VHS tape then to a DVD (via a stand alone VHS to DVD copy machine) then I copied the VOB files to my cmptr.

The problem is that one of the shows will not let me copy from the DVR to the VHS tape. It says "unable to copy do to copy rights". Is there any way that this can done?

Thanks.

PS this is a great site for this kind of education. I recently learned on here that you don't need to convert DVD to computer for editing but just copy the VOB files..Awesome!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While this will not answer your question, if I read you correctly and can transfer to VHS from the DVR and then to the dvd recorder combi why did you not transfer direct from the DVR to dvd using the combi ? If the VHS recordings were done before you had the combi I can understand but from your wording that does not appear to be the case.

To answer your question. Some programs are transmitted with copy-protected signals. Maybe these can be thrawted with a TBC between the DVR and the recording medium but not by a direct recording.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by braveheart3158 View Post
    I recorded a few shows
    about my 1968 Shelby Mustang onto my DVR Motorola 7216-1 that I would like to keep on a DVD but also transfer the VOB files from the DVD to my computer for future editing to incorporate in my home movies.

So I was able to transfer some of the shows onto a VHS tape then to a DVD (via a stand alone VHS to DVD copy machine) then I copied the VOB files to my cmptr.

The problem is that one of the shows will not let me copy from the DVR to the VHS tape. It says "unable to copy do to copy rights". Is there any way that this can done?

Thanks.

PS this is a great site for this kind of education. I recently learned on here that you don't need to convert DVD to computer for editing but just copy the VOB files..Awesome!!
    You also could use a video stabilizer/video clarifier like a XDIMAX Grex to facilitate recording with either a DVD recorder or VCR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Jan 2014 at 19:22. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    While this will not answer your question, if I read you correctly and can transfer to VHS from the DVR and then to the dvd recorder combi why did you not transfer direct from the DVR to dvd using the combi ? If the VHS recordings were done before you had the combi I can understand but from your wording that does not appear to be the case.

To answer your question. Some programs are transmitted with copy-protected signals. Maybe these can be thrawted with a TBC between the DVR and the recording medium but not by a direct recording.
    Lol. I came to realize after i made this post that i could go directly to the dvd recorder from the dvr. I am doing that today. Thanks. So far i am able to record 3 out of 4 shows no problem. The 4th is the one with the copyright issue. All being done with RCA jacks between the verizon fios dvr and my dvd recorder. Even though there are other better out puts, my research says thats the only way I can do it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The whole reason this has come about is because the fious verizon HD dvr has to be swapped out for a new one. When i do all the recordings will be lost
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WhAt does the stabilizer do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind that last question. I found it on amazon!! Thank!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hollywood demanded that DVD recorder manufacturers make their devices sensitive to Macrovision, which is used to try to prevent VHS to DVD tape copying. What has happened is that DVD recorders are overly sensitive to Macrovision and if there is any sort of instability in what is recorded to tape, the DVD recorder freaks out and goes into "It's Macrovision! STOP recordning NOW!" mode, even though the tape in question may not be a commercial tape at all, just a tape with some kind of image problem. When you have a combo unit, you cannot put anything between the VHS and DVD recorder to fix this. This is why we recommend separate VHS and DVD recorder units. You may know what a stablizer is, but if you are continuing to use a combo unit it probably won't solve your problem. I suppose there is some small chance that the original video signal might be destabilized and it could help even if you go directly to the DVD recorder half of your unit, but more likely that 4th program simply has a "do not copy" signal embedded into it by your TV provider and the DVD recorder will refuse to record it. I don't know if a stabilizer can fix that issue, but I'm thinking probably not.

I'm sure you will respond with "But why did the other 3 record? Why would my TV provider only embed a do not copy signal in one show?" but it does happen. "Do not copy" signals go on and off all the time and sometimes they are not put in programs where they are supposed to go and they are accidentally put in programs that are not supposed to be copy restricted. Anyway, a stabilizer is a crap shoot and may or may not fix your problem. If it doesn't, you'll have to look into if there is any way to get rid of a "do not copy" signal in that 4th show.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You may know what a stablizer is, but if you are continuing to use a combo unit it probably won't solve your problem. I suppose there is some small chance that the original video signal might be destabilized and it could help even if you go directly to the DVD recorder half of your unit, but more likely that 4th program simply has a "do not copy" signal embedded into it by your TV provider and the DVD recorder will refuse to record it. I don't know if a stabilizer can fix that issue, but I'm thinking probably not.
    That is only true if using the combo recorder's dubbing function, which uses an internal connection. With some of these machines and maybe all of them it is possible to connect the unit's A/V outputs to its A/V inputs and record that way. There is no reason that a TBC or stabilizer can't be connected between the external connections if those can be utilized.
    Quote Quote