VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have never owned a DVD player, and though I am very conversant with my PC and its OS, DVD technology is a definite gap in what I know.

I have a Ramones DVD which I really want to watch, but it won't play in my PC. The drive doesn't even see it or spin up.

My DVD drive is a DVD+RW. Does this mean that the disc itself is a DVD-R or -RW disc? And, most importantly, is there just no way to play it? No intermediary program that can deal with it, or is it more like a basic mechanical incompatibility?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    should work in your drive. start a software dvd player and then insert the disc. media player classic, wmp, vlc, powerdvd, windvd, are just a few.

see what you have, vlc and mpc are free if you want to try them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have media player classic and vlc. Nothing plays the disc. When I insert the disc, it spins up but then spins down again quickly. If I try the player's "open..." command, then browse to the DVD drive, it is shown as empty. Disc will not autoplay. Explorer says the drive is empty. Does not acknowledge the insertion of a disc at all. I get no "what action to take with this disc" dialogue window. I thought there were two divergent standards for DVD players, "+" and "-", and I had heard that the two kinds of drives were not compatible with each others' media.

Can someone please tell me if this is what is going on? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What brand and model of DVD drive do you have? If you go to 'My Computer' and R click on your DVD drive, then 'Properties' you should see that info. You can L click on the drive, then 'Properties' again and get just the drive. If the info is cryptic like this screenshot, copy and paste the info into Google and you should get the manufacture and other info.

And is that DVD a burned disc or a commercial pressed disc? Only burned discs are + and -. And does it play burned discs properly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in the device properties screen, see the tab named dvd region? click on it and set your drive to region 1. commercial dvds won't play until it's set.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, what aedipuss said. Also, look on the back label of the DVD and make sure it was made for Region 1 and is NTSC. If the DVD came from a foreign country, your problems might be with that. Oh, and...Gabba-gabba hey!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, according to Everest, I have a : _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A (I built my PC from parts; Ygor wasn't too specific about where he dug them up. )

The drive is set to Region 1. The DVD is a factory-made one I bought from Amazon.com. (Direct from them, not one of their vendors.) It is definitely American-made. Burned in California, evidently.

The drive is very cooperative most of the time; it plays or opens many discs my previous drive would not. (old, damaged, etc.) I'm kind of surprised that it won't even spin up and give me an error message or something.

So, the plus/ minus thing is not an issue with factory-made DVDs? What other circumstances would make the disc play in someone else's DVD player, but not in my PC? (haven't tried another PC. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow & let you know.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    + and - only applies to burned DVDs. Commercial DVDs are pressed, much like a phonograph record. The bottom playing side would be silver or gold color most times. A burned disc would be purple most times on the playing side.

There may be some commercial pressed disc's that have playback problems on a PC, even with the proper region set, but that would be rare. Especially if burned DVDs will play back without problems. I would try the disc on a different PC, and if all other commercial disc's work but that one, the disc is likely the problem. Check it for scratches or blotches. If all commercial disc's fail, likely a problem with the drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you right click on the drive with the disc in and select explore? if so then navigate into the video_ts folder and double click on the video_ts.ifo and see if a video player will start up. or double click a vob and see if it will play.
    --
    Quote Quote