VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all.... here's what I want to do: my Linksys 802.4g router is on the second floor, my workshop is in the basement at the opposite end of the house. The signal will not reach my shop because I am next to the furnace & metal ductwork. I can get signal about 25 ft. away. I want to set an access point to pick up the wireless signal from the router and re-broadcast so I can pick it up at my workbench.
    Ok, now the question: will THIS do that? I think it will, but I am just checking.
    Just to be clear: we are talking about the AP picking up the wireless signal and re-broadcasting it wireless. There is no cabling involved in this, only wireless. Then I will use a wireless dongle plugged into a USB port on the computer I am working on to pick up the signal. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Under Details -> Features it lists Repeater.

Supports WDS, Supports AP/AP Client/Repeater/Bridge/Multi-Bridge mode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right - I understand that - what I am asking is if it will function as a totally wireless repeater. I have set many access points, but the standard method is to cable-connect router to the AP, then it broadcasts the signal wireless. What I am unclear of is will it pickup a wireless signal from the router and re-broadcast the same signal wireless? Just making sure before I order it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Comments indicate security is WEP-only in wireless repeater mode. Very inexpensive, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks... just wanted to confirm. I really don't care if it is WEP (although that seems kind of strange) since I will only use it when I am working on someone's unit and need to check that they can access the internet before giving it back to them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just meant no WPA or WPA2, you could go no security at all for temporary use. It didn't say you HAD to use WEP. Sorry, didn't make that at all clear.

There are alternate firmwares for several routers, if you have any laying around, that will allow for doing this with existing hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Answer to question is yes ... very simple to setup ... proper positioning will provide the best coverage ... 5dbi output will cover a considerable area with punch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, but what I think the OP is REALLY asking about would be a "relay". Where the only the links to the base LAN & switches, etc are ALSO wireless (in addition to the link to the end device), instead of a repeater that DOES have a wired link to the LAN.

If this is true, I don't know of any Wireless routers that can do that - all the ones I know of are "repeaters". But I could be wrong. (never researched this, no need)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think you're talking about 802.11 g (wireless G), 802.4 is a type of token ring setup. If you have an old router lying around, you might be able to convert it into a wireless bridge. Check out the supported hardware list for DD-WRT and Open-WRT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all...well, guess I will find out, it's on its way from Newegg. One of the users reviews said he set it up as a relay. We'll see. The price is good and it's getting great reviews from users, so I can always find a use for it if it won't do what I want.
    Quote Quote