VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've just bought an Archos PMA400. I'm now trying to rip several of my DVD's to avi's to watch on my new player. I'm trying to limit each film rip to 700MB approx (avi). I've had a few goes but I'm not getting any good quality rips. I have some tv shows I downloaded off the web which are 300MB in size. They are 1 hour in duration at a frame rate of something like 650 * 450 (not exact - from memory). The quality of these clips is excellent so I'm thinking the films are twice the duration of the clips of I'm hoping I should be able to get each film to 700MB.

Any tips on what software to use/best settings?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Xvid: 2-pass Variable Bitrate if you want a specific size. Single Pass Quantization mode (constant quality) if you don't.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by junkmalle
    Xvid: 2-pass Variable Bitrate if you want a specific size. Single Pass Quantization mode (constant quality) if you don't.
    Which program would you recommend?

Thanks for the info so far guy's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What program you use doesn't make any difference in the final size or quality. The codec is doing all the real work. I use VirtualDubMPEG2, Xvid (in quantization mode), and Lame for MP3 audio most of the time. VirtualDubMPEG2 isn't the simplest of programs though.
    Quote Quote