VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A VOB on my computer plays fine on every Media Player (I'm using VLC and MPlayer). But when burned to DVD the audio and video start skipping.

How's this possible?

It's not the DVD-player or the DVD-burner. Never had any problems with those. I'm sure it has something to do with the VOB. Here's why:

I've burned the DVD twice and tested it on three different DVD-players. The skipping problem doesn't occur at random. It occurs every time at exactly the same spots.

I've got the VOB from a friend who ripped it from a DVD he burned himself. He sent it to me with WeTransfer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the burned vob skip on your computer too ?
    Are you using good dvdr media?
    Are you just burning it as vob or have you reauthored it to real dvd with video_ts folder with ifo,bup files?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The burned vob skips on my computer too.

I've used DVD-R's from Verbatim and Platinum. Never had problems with these two.

I've burned it as vob, using Roxio Toast.Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2012-06-26 om 23.00.00.png
Views:	220
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	12882
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    I've burned it as vob, using Roxio Toast.
    So, you just burned the VOB as data, without authoring it as a DVD first? What did you expect?

Apparently Toast can author it as a DVD properly. So do that. Maybe you'll have to demux it first. I have no idea, not ever having used that program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Step 1: Demux the VOB. Use DGIndex program. Once VOB is added in DGIndex, File->Save Project and Demux Video should give you an M2V of the video and whatever audio is in the VOBs.

Step 2: 'Author' the DVD using the demuxed audio & video files as inputs. Use Simple DVD Creator'. It is free. This will produce proper Video_TS folder with .IFO, .BUP, .VOB files.

Step 3: Burn the DVD with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Manono is sort of right, if you only got a VOB from your friend it's possible there may be some navigation info missing to properly playback the VOB in a set top player; you need the IFO too. Software players are able to get around that to maintain A/V synch. Next time get your friend to include all the files and preferably zip them into 1 file with no compression.

Did you burn it using the DVD video option in Toast as in your picture? Have you clicked on edit and tried to play it to check if it skipped? Nharikrishna is on the right track, just the wrong type of computer. Try converting the VOB to DV with MPEG Streamclip, then import it into Toast; that might fix the timing problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Baldrick, Nharikrishna, Mic2k4:

Thanks very much for your help. I solved the skipping problem by A) importing the VOB in MPEG Streamclip, B) fixing the timecode breaks and C) converting the VOB to MPEG2. The burned MPEG2 plays without skipping.

Other VOB's my friend sent me have a A/V synch problem. Audio and Video get out of synch not only when burned to DVD. This also happens when I play the VOB in VLC. Fixing the timecode breaks and converting the VOB to MPEG doesn't fix it. Adding the navigation info (make a proper Video_TS folder) might do the trick. I will try this out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way,

I never have A/V synch issues with VOBs/MPEG2s from DVD's I ripped myself. How's it possible I only have this issue with other peoples VOB's/MPEGs?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe you had better teach your friend how to properly cut a VOB file since he's obviously doing something wrong. VOBs played in a decent software media player shouldn't have those problems. Playing VOBs in a standalone DVD player is something else again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My friend chops his VIDEO_TS up into VOB's smaller than 2GB, to be able to send them to me with WeTransfer. Files bigger than 2 GB can't be send using this service (WeTransfer).
    I recreate the original VOB by merging the VOB's I received with MPEG Streamclip.

Nic2k4: You're advising to compress VIDEO_TS folders into a zipfile. I tried this, but it didn't work for me. The 4,3 GB VIDEO_TS only lost about 400 MB when zipped.
    Last edited by HitTheRoad; 27th Jun 2012 at 20:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yup, that's the problem. Your friend should be ripping to a single L*A*R*G*E VOB file and then do a file split with a utility like HJSplitter, send the split files to you, and you reconstruct the large file with the HJSplit "join" function. No more sync/glitch hassles.

Scott

edit: Zip files can either compress (make smaller) or "archive" (put multiple files/folders into one file) or BOTH.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I suspect the way your friend is splitting the VOBs is causing the problems at your end. It would be better for him to create a multi part archive (rar or zip) or for you both to use HJSplit. That way he can create parts smaller than 2 gig but when you reassemble at your end you get an exact copy of the original file.

Doh. Beaten by Cornucopia
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    My friend chops his VIDEO_TS up into VOB's smaller than 2GB, to be able to send them to me with WeTransfer.
    It might have helped if you had provided this information to begin with. Now we know (finally) the problem is due to incompetent splitting of files.

Yes, tell him make one single cut of the whole thing (if he's including a part of a larger DVD), and then split it to the sizes you need for sharing using RAR or ZIP. There's no need to shrink the size at all, but just use 'Store' compression (split but don't compress). And if it's a complete DVD he's sending, have him also include the IFOs and BUPs so the VOBs don't have to be reauthored at your end.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To Manono and everybody: Sorry for not having provided you with information about my friend splitting up files. I thought it irrelvant.

Manono, you advise to do the splitting using RAR or ZIP. This is different from the HJSplitter tool T_Jet and Cornucopia advise me to use. Do you have a different opinions about this?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Manono, you advise to do the splitting using RAR or ZIP. This is different from the HJSplitter tool T_Jet and Cornucopia advise me to use. Do you have a different opinions about this?
    Nope, use whatever is easiest. I have no idea what, if any, file splitter is included with a Mac. WinZIP comes with Windows and WinRAR is also quite commonly used, and both have free versions for Mac. If using HJSplit, both your friend and you will have to have installed it on your computers. Again, though, there's no real need to compress the files as it'll only slow the joining at your end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Plus, the files are already lossy-compressed. Attempting to Losslessly-compress them further OFTEN results in the file getting BIGGER (ex.: 2GB MPEG2 file zipped becomes 2.7GB zip). Waste of time. Just "archive" uncompressed within the zip/rar. Or use HJSplit - there are versions for Win/Mac/Linux/Java.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Cornucopia:

What do you mean by ripping to a single L*A*R*G*E VOB file? I believe the DVD Video standard only allows for a VOB with a maximum of 1 gigabyte.

The guy who has been sending me the split files took a look at the HJSplitter program. He says it seems to be designed for working with much smaller files. 'More for newsreader programs of the past than for large video files of today'.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    You're advising to compress VIDEO_TS folders into a zipfile. I tried this, but it didn't work for me. The 4,3 GB VIDEO_TS only lost about 400 MB when zipped.
    No, don't use compression (use STORE), it's a waste of time trying to compress video. The purpose of zipping the VIDEO_TS folder is to have all the files in one container that adds error checking, so you will know if some bits got changed in the upload/download.

Splitting VOB's in 2GB? I'm guessing you mean your friend is sending two 1GB files at a time and not actually splitting one larger VOB file into 2GB chunks. This is another benefit of zipping the files; many utilities can create a zip file set with a specific file size i.e. you zip a 4.3GB VIDEO_TS folder and you get a set of three 2GB files that have error checking and will faithfully recreate that VIDEO_TS folder at the other end.

I don't think the archive utility in OSx can do it, but Keka can (it's based on 7zip) and you will need The Unarchiver to unzip the files back into one folder.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keka works fine for splitting. It appears I don't need The Unarchiver to unzip the files back into one VIDEO_TS folder. If I just click on one of the files the VIDEO_TS folder is recreated.

Is it necessary to use the same tool when exchanging split zip files? Suppose I receive zipfiles my friend created using HJSplitter. Will the VIDEO_TS be recreated if I don't have HJSplitter?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Suppose I receive zipfiles my friend created using HJSplitter. Will the VIDEO_TS be recreated if I don't have HJSplitter?
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If using HJSplit, both your friend and you will have to have installed it on your computers.
    I've only used it once but I seem to remember it using some splitting format unique to itself. For others you may not have to use the exact same program as was used to create the files. Again, I have no idea about Mac programs for this purpose. If your friend is on a PC, find out what he can use (WinZip, WinRar, 7Zip, HJSplit, etc.), and in what format he can create the files, and then go and track down the Mac equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now let's see if I got this right:

In order to get VIDEO_TS files that are identical to the ones my friend's sending me, he has to split the VIDEO_TS files using a splitter/zipper like WinZip, preferably the same splitter as i have installed on my computer.
    Using a splitter/zipper has the advantage of error checking. Bits and bites that got changed in the upload/download are corrected by the splitter/zipper.
    Right?

I still have a loose end:

What if my friend wants to send me only a part of a VIDEO_TS, let's say a chapter? He normally drags the VOB or VOB's of that chapter out of the VIDEO_TS and sends this to me with WeTransfer. Is this the wrong way? (By the way, WeTransfer automatically wraps the VOB(s) into a zip-file).

This is what I do with the VOB's my friends sends me: I play them on my computer (using VLC) or I burn them to DVD using Roxio Toast (not as data but as an authored DVD) to be able to play them on my stand alone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    (By the way, WeTransfer automatically wraps the VOB(s) into a zip-file).
    So you can already unzip files? Then just have your friend zip them up and send them to you, splitting them into 200 MB or smaller chunks in the process. Easy. If it's small enough, sending a VOB should be OK (without archiving it), depending on whether or not he knows how to cut VOBs properly. If you haven't had any problems in the past playing the DVDs you create from the small VOBs he sends, then you should be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  23. According to the maker of Keka you need The Unarchiver to be able to unzip and re-join all the parts of a file that was split. Zip files from a split volume can't be unzipped individually, all the files have to be processed at the same time for the program to know where to join everything back together.

If the files you are transfering are in the ZIP format (careful there's a ZIPX format too), any archiving utility that supports the format will be able to process the files. If your going between Mac and PC, use 7Zip on the PC and Keka/The Unarchiver on the Mac. There are few Mac programs that seem to be able to process split zips; even Winzip for Mac doesn't seem to support it.

VOB's without the IFO's is not really the best thing to do; the IFO contains navigation information for playback. If your friend is on a PC, he should try something like VOB2MPG, it takes no time to convert. On a Mac, I guess MpegStreamclip would do the same, maybe a little slower.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 23.54.54.png
Views:	192
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	12935Nic2k4, As you can see in the screenshot I managed to unzip and re-join all the parts of a VIDEO_TS without using The Unarchiver. This program is not installed on my Mac.

You're telling me VOB's without the IFO's is not really the best thing to do. So you're advising me to use VOB2MPG or MpegStreamclip to convert VOB's to MPEG2.

I've always done it that way with my own DVD's:I feed the VTS.VOB's to MpegStreamclip and then convert them to MPEG2. I've also done this with the VOB's my friend sent me. But this didn't help to get the audio and video in synch again.

So I'm still confused about how this can be explained. As far as I can see (after reading all remarks) my friend nor I are doing anything wrong. First he rips his DVD completely to VIDEO_TS. In case he wants to send me only a chapter of the video he simply drags the corresponding VTS.VOB's from the VIDEO_TS.
    He sends the VTS.VOB's to me using WeTransfer. WeTransfer automatically wraps the VOB('s) into zip-files. After I have received them, I unzip the wrapped VOB('s), merge them (using MPEG Streamclip) and convert them to MPEG2 (using MPEG Streamclip).
    I can now play the file in VLC or burn it to an authored DVD (using Roxio Toast).
    Please tell me if I'm forgetting something.
    Quote Quote  
  25. If the files size match the originals after you unzip a split archive with Keka, then great!

I don't want to start a lesson on the intricacies of digital video, all I will say is it's not like analog video (VHS) where the audio and video information is recorded together and the synch is locked in. Lookup MPEG program stream and elementary stream if you want to know more.

Yes. it's possible to play VOB files directly; some will even replace the VOB extension with MPG to make the files play with software that don't open VOB, with varying results. The video might show in 4:3 format instead of 16:9, the audio could be in the wrong language or delayed, the playback navigation could skip sectors (probably your case, that information is carried by the IFO not the VOB).

Most of the times you can get away with it, but it all depends on how the MPEG was made. I've seen DVD camcorder output that relied on the aspect ratio flag in the IFO to indicate whether video was widescreen or letterbox; the video was always recorded in 4:3. Crappier editing software that just read the VOB and ignored the IFO, always got fooled.

Some good software like DGindex can repair errors, but it's for PC. I don't know what would be the equivalent for Mac, aside from the professional stuff, there isn't as much available for Mac; MPEGstreamclip could have been able to do the same.

Since you're going to convert to MPEG in the end, why don't you get your friend to do it in the first place and while he's there, use the trimming function in MPEGstreamclip to cut and convert only the clips you want (it's available for Mac and PC, so you can help each other).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As I mentioned in the PM, MPEGStreamClip has some bugs, particularly as regards MPEG conversions. It relies on Quicktime API to do most of it's work, and this has known inadequacies regarding MPEG1 & 2. It's good for some things, but I'd NEVER use it for merging.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do converters like MPEGStreamclip, VOB2MPG (recommended by Cornucopia) and DGindex 'read' the IFO's before they start converting the corresponding VOB's to MPEG2? In other words: Do these converters do their conversion guided by the IFO's?
    If yes, than this would explain to me why my friend should do the conversion and not I. He has both the VOB's and IFO's. I haven't.

By the way: Keka seems to be a Mac only tool. The zip files it produces on my Mac are unreadable for my friend who's on a PC. He never had any trouble unzipping zip files.
    Last edited by HitTheRoad; 30th Jun 2012 at 19:17.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Do converters like MPEGStreamclip, VOB2MPG (recommended by Cornucopia) and DGindex 'read' the IFO's before they start converting the corresponding VOB's to MPEG2? In other words: Do these converters do their conversion guided by the IFO's?
    DGIndex opens VOBs and has nothing to do with IFOs. It doesn't really convert anything anyway (except for AC3 audio to WAV audio, if you wish), but is used primarily for indexing MPEG1/2 video. I don't know about the other two, never having used them.

He has both the VOB's and IFO's. I haven't.
    He could easily include the IFOs. Even if cutting VOBs from a DVD, he could use DVD Shrink to reauthor them while cutting and create IFOs for you. Or IFOEdit to create fresh IFO/BUP files from the cut VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Keka seems to be a Mac only tool. The zip files it produces on my Mac are unreadable for my friend who's on a PC. He never had any trouble unzipping zip files.
    It's a port of 7Zip and produces ZIP files according to the standards, verify that you're producing ZIP files and not 7Z files. Although, if your friend installs 7Zip, he would be able to read them and many more.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After my friend installed 7Zip, he was able to unzip the ZIP files I created with Keka. I'm sure they were ZIP files, no 7Z files.
    Quote Quote