VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still getting used to W2K (prior PC was W98SE) so sometimes I'm not sure when I must use Admin vs User. I attempted to install the AC-3 ACM codec when in user mode but just get a "Installation Failed" error.
    I realize I could just try it, but wanted to post here to document your answer for others who may have same question. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You decided to wait for answer that might takes hours to be posted, instead of trying out a 30 second exercise ? *shakes head in disbelief and wanders away*
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You decided to wait for answer that might takes hours to be posted, instead of trying out a 30 second exercise ? *shakes head in disbelief and wanders away*
    At least said user has enough sense (or most probably does not know how to) to not make themselves a local administrator and keep the admin rights account for only when required.

Imagine all that power !

As for the question, what's say you try it, and document what happens back here in the thread for the benefit of others ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Part of reason I posted was: The error message did NOT mention the possible cause, as other software does when they say something like "Must have Admin rights" so wasn't sure if it was that or something else...also, on this site is a number of helpful guides...I thought having this detail in any appropriate place might be helpful ...and that maybe, any guide/software author would see this and document it on this/their site...

I have yet to switch over to Admin and try it...given that I mostly avoid it by using "Run As" for other EXE installs, but I presume that can't happen with an INF install.
    Quote Quote