VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well I have a bunch of avi, xvid and such movie files, and right now I'm using Tmpegnc to convert them to vcd, but at this point it takes over 10 hours to convert a single movie, then I have to split them using DVTool. What I'm wondering if there is a faster program out there or a faster way to convert the files so I don't have to wait overnight. I mean I don't mind waiting like 3 hours or so, but 10??? Any suggestions???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MainConcept is faster, but the quality will not be as good IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately having looked at your computers specs, the best thgimng is get a faster computer. Main Concept or CCE Basic could be faster for you than TMPGenc, however they won't do what you want in terms of speed.

As I remember it VCD runs around 70 minutes on a 7oo Mb disk. So you could split them with Vurtualdub first then process to MPEG1. It won't save any time but if there is a problem in the AVI that crashes TMPGenc it might be helpful. And of course you can use it to do checking for errors in the AVI.

One other thing to check is be sure you are using the standard VCD template. BUIt resizing from 640 by 480 to 352 by 240 as an example takes longer than if you were going from a 352 by 240 avi.

Might be easier to get a DIVX Player and not convert if the computer meets your needs for everything else.

Sorry to say it but time for that upgrade.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I found out that the one movie that I had converted, for some reason Tmpge decided to put about 2 hours of black screen after the movie, so I had to use DVTool to cut it out, and now I'm converting a different movie, setting the start and end point, and now it looks like it will only take about 3 hours. But I'll try some of these ideas anyway.

And yes, I know my system's crappy. But with what I can afford (I'm only makin $7/hour as a bouncer at a strip club) I can't afford much right now. Plus I have a family to support, so I do what I can.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is many ways to split the file into two files and if you want you can put all the avis on to one 700mb disk using KVCD all you have to do is go to the KVCD.com and it will tell you every thing that you need , if not you can use a program call AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter thi will split it into two equa. clips.

The rest just look around and i am sure that you will find what you want i having been using this for a long time and had very goog results
    it has been a long time
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by haqzombie
    Well I found out that the one movie that I had converted, for some reason Tmpge decided to put about 2 hours of black screen after the movie, so I had to use DVTool to cut it out, and now I'm converting a different movie, setting the start and end point, and now it looks like it will only take about 3 hours. But I'll try some of these ideas anyway.
    That sounds like a classical case of VBR MP3 audio IMO. You really need to load your source files into GSpot and see what kind of video and audio codecs they use, as it is well-known that TMPGEnc chokes on this type of audio. Extract your audio out to a WAV file using this guide, then open TMPGEnc, specify your AVI as the video source, and secify the WAV file you created as your audio.

If you have TMPGEnc set up right, it should take you roughly 3X-4X runtime with your computer, so a 90 minute movie should take you between 4 and 6 hours IMO. This guide might have some tips as to how you can configure TMPGEnc better, plus there are a couple of setup guides in the guides section, and IIRC lordsmurf has one also at www.digitalFAQ.com .
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote