VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i own an LG 7622 DVD Recorder
    i record mainly on rewritable DVD discs, then finalize the disc and bring the recording (VRO file) to the PC for further editing
    (BTW NeroVision Does a great job in that)
    then initialize the disc on the recorder to use it again

problem is, after about 8-10 cycles of reusing a disc, it becomes unreadable on the pc.
    this is the first symptom of a disc failure, further using such disc on the LG recorder will develop recording errors anf finally make it unusable at all

is this a known problem, or does my unit have to be serviced?

n.b. i use mainly SilverLine 2X DVD-RW Discs.
    i have tried some other brands, FUJI, TDK... and also newer SilverLine 4X discs - all of them have trouble recording even at first use

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes DVD-RW wear out.

Recorder might need a firmware update to handle other media.

SilverLine does not make media, so what they put their label on at 4x might have nothing in common with their 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 10 cycles is outrageously bad tho. I have dvd-rw that I use to play temporary stuff, from computer and I dont think I have replaced any of them yet. I previously have thrown out cd-rw that started giving errors. I use ridisc 4x dvd+rw and they seem to last pretty well. I would think your player is chewing the discs
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're using BRAND X DVD-RW media, unknown stuff. It just dies easily, more likely than not.

You can always try to give it a full 10-minute format in a computer, instead of the quick format done on the recorder. It may breathe life back into the disc.

Good luck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not on the LG but the Liteon/ilo units

I have used a large number of Verbatim +RW disks many well over a hundred times and they operate as new. [I have not used –RW disks]

A disk sometimes gets screwed up and the recorder will not recognize or in other ways rejects them
    Using a PC I do a Complete erase using Nero [as lourdsmurf says it’s a good 10 min]

I Do Not Let Nero Format the disk [Doing so will most likely result in further problems].

I than place the disk in the recorder. It is recognized as a Blank disk and do a disk Erase in the recorder, [this is a quick erase] that will also format the disk to the recorders liking.
    The disk is now OK and operates as new.
    This process has worked with out fail, while used in a Liteon/ilo a similar operation might work in the LG
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use to have similar problems with a LiteOn clone. A full format usually made it usable again, but eventually, it will die. These were with Memorex +RWs (Ricoh made and newer ones Infodisc(?)).

BTW, if you can use +RWs, might save you some time by not having to finalize.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In my experience it happens on all recorder I've used and on both formats -RW and +RW. Recorders that do a shaky recording job in first place - like the Ilo 05 (disk gets very hot because of insufficient cooling) - it happens earlier and more often then more solid recorders like the JVC M10 and Panasonic ES25.

In my case all disks failed close to the OD of the disk - the last 1/3 of the surface if you check with NeroSpeed - and an attempt to read the disk on the PC produces a CRC error.

I have 3 DVD drives on my PC from different mfg, sometimes it helps to read on a different drive, but in most cases it doesn't fix the problem.

My last batch I bought of 10 +RW disc (Disc ID: OPTODISC-OP4-01) on the Panasonic ES25, two discs failed right after the second and third recording. The rest have about 10-20 recordings and still work without a problem.

Interesting is that the failed disks read with TMPGEnc MPEG Editor or NeroSpeed produce a CRC error, however DVDShrink seems to be more tolerant (or patient) and produces a good ISO image. But after I recovered the content with DVDShrink, the medium itself goes straight into the shredder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you all for your replies
    i have been doing full erases on the discs as some of you sggested,
    but the problem still persists

i can manage with CRC problems, i use a small program called JFileRecovery
    (i had to figure out how to make it work with Java WebStart)
    it's freeware and it makes wonders

the main problem is still when the disc is totalloy unreadable on the PC,
    i see the folder DVDRTAV, but opening it - it shows empty

of course, tried the discs on more than one DVD drive, also at friends computers - same prob

i see by the previous reply that this might be an "organic" problem of DVD recorders,
    that seems too bad
    Quote Quote