VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi there,
    i have downloaded a hindi movie with apect ratio 2.1 but when i try to change it to 16:9 to get full screen,it is not changed
    no matter what resolution and aspect ratio setting i do.
    i have tried with bigasoft video converter,effectmatrix total video converter,handbrake etc
    but not successful

if there is another software to achieve it,then tell me
    please also tell me the detail steps to do it

following is the info of the video from mediainfo software:

File size : 700 MiB
    Duration : 2h 23mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 680 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-09-21 23:12:56
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-09-21 23:34:15
    Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.8 2012071700

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L2.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 599 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 304 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.105
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 23.810 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 24.390 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.128
    Stream size : 617 MiB (88%)
    Writing library : x264 core 120
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=599 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 75.9 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 83.7 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : 83ms
    Stream size : 78.2 MiB (11%)
    Language : Hindi
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-09-21 23:34:12

Menu
    ID : 3
    Codec ID : text
    Bit rate mode : VBR

please help
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must crop it or zoom using your player. It wont help just changing the aspect ratio flags or just resizing.

In for example handbrake can you crop under the picture tab. Crop for example 50 pixels left and 50 pixels right and you will get a size of 540x304 = 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try remuxing with Yamb and setting the aspect ratio flags. That will be very fast and there will be no loss of quality. Or, if you can live with MKV instead of MP4, use MMG. Not all players will respect flagged aspect ratios though. And you'll have a distorted picture if the movie is really 2.1:1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Both methods works. It's just a matter what you like...distorted/stretched or cropped image.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for prompt response

i am not able to understand handbrake instructions

tried with yamb it doesnot change aspect ratio to 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Something like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.png
Views:	370
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	24295
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pappubeta View Post
    tried with yamb it doesnot change aspect ratio to 16:9
    Did you highlight the video stream, press Properties, then input a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio (11:13 should be about right) before saving? What player are you using? Be sure it's set to honor aspect ratio flags.

And, of course, you do realize a 2.105:1 movie is not supposed to fill a 16:9 TV, right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. many thanks again

i have understood the handbrake method

also worked with yam method,it produced perfect video without quality loss with
    could yu tell me how did yu calculate custom aspect ratio to be 11:13 to produce widescreen video
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pappubeta View Post
    could yu tell me how did yu calculate custom aspect ratio to be 11:13 to produce widescreen video

Display Aspect Ratio = Frame Aspect Ratio * Sample Aspect Ratio
    DAR = FAR * SAR

Sometimes these have slightly different names, for example SAR is also known as the Pixel Aspect Ratio or PAR, Frame Aspect Ratio is sometimes known as the Storage Aspect Ratio (again SAR, but a different SAR)

However, regardless of the naming conventions - they indicate the same thing
    FAR is the w:h of the frame dimensions
    SAR can be thought of as the w:h of the pixels

So
    16/9 = 640/304 * x/y

Solve for x/y ; = 0.844444 or it's approximately 11/13 . Or 211111/250000 to be more precise
    Quote Quote  
  10. thanks for explaining

but how is .84444 equals 11/13

i am not that strong at maths
    Quote Quote  
  11. 11/13 was just a quick approximation. That's why he said "should be about right"

11/13 =~ 0.84615

You can use online decimal to fraction calculators if you want. Search google, enter 0.844444 or whatever number and they will convert it to fraction for you

You probably won't notice the AR error if it's a bit off. Your "downloaded" movie probably didn't have the precisely correct AR to begin with, and you are "squishing" it , distorting the image anyways. So don't worry about it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Or you could simply enter 1.778:2.105. But I don't think you can use decimal values -- so use 1778:2105.
    Quote Quote  
  13. thanks, i understood

thanks for such great help
    thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really need to know how u did the calculation.
    I have a Movie that is 1920*796 , I want it to fit my 16:9 display.
    So what "custom aspect ratio" should I put in Yamb?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Why would you want a 2.4:1 movie to fit your 16:9 screen?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why would you want a 2.4:1 movie to fit your 16:9 screen?
    Because the 16:9 display is my 40" TV, and I play movies through it's built-in USB port. And the only way to get a full screen playback without letterboxing/black-bars is to have the video in 16:9 aspect ratio
    Can u help me?
    Last edited by jodiac; 11th Apr 2014 at 01:39.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jodiac View Post
    Because the 16:9 display is my 40" TV, and I play movies through it's built-in USB port. And the only way to get a playback, that is full screen without letterbox, is to have the video in 16:9 aspect ratio
    Can u help me?
    Are you aware this means distorting the image ?

The math is ~ 14/19

16/9 =~ 1920/796 * 14/19

But some TV players disregard AR flags
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by jodiac View Post
    Because the 16:9 display is my 40" TV, and I play movies through it's built-in USB port. And the only way to get a playback, that is full screen without letterbox, is to have the video in 16:9 aspect ratio
    Can u help me?
    Are you aware this means distorting the image ?

The math is ~ 14/19

16/9 =~ 1920/796 * 14/19

But some TV players disregard AR flags
    Yes! It worked flawlessly! And the image is not dostorting. Plz o plz tell me how u did the math.
    I have many other videos with different resolution that need remuxing using you're math.
    Such as: 1920*816, 1920*800

How do u find x/y??????
    Last edited by jodiac; 11th Apr 2014 at 03:31.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jodiac View Post
    Yes! It worked flawlessly! And the image is not distorting.
    It's physically impossible to take an image of a certain aspect ratio (ie 2.35:1) and change it to another aspect ratio (ie 1.77:1) without distorting it. It'd be like taking a square image and making it rectangular while still keeping it square. It can't be done.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by jodiac View Post
    Yes! It worked flawlessly! And the image is not distorting.
    It's physically impossible to take an image of a certain aspect ratio (ie 2.35:1) and change it to another aspect ratio (ie 1.77:1) without distorting it. It'd be like taking a square image and making it rectangular while still keeping it square. It can't be done.
    I don't know.... But I'm satisfied with the result so far.
    Quote Quote  
  21. A 2.41 DAR movie is supposed to be viewed as 2.4:1, not 1.78:1 or 1.33:1 or any other arbitrary aspect ratio. But if you must, the math for distorting it to fill the screen is simple:

Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR

DAR = display aspect ratio, the final shape of the picture
    FAR = frame aspect ratio, the relative frame dimensions 1920/816 in this case
    SAR = sample aspect ratio, the shape of individual pixels
    Quote Quote  
  22. i dont understand why anyone wants to view a movie that was produced as what i call "cimema" mode (that is 1920x816, or any vertical resolution under 1080) in any other way than it plays on the tv.

when a 1920x816 video plays on a HD tv you get a normal display with no distortion, but there is 132 lines top & bottom that will be black, and thats the way it was intended to be played, like watching it in a cinema, and its only like this because the tv is 1920x1080 and not 1920x816 resolution.

the same applies to a 720x480 dvd when upscaled to display on your HD tv, if you wanted it to play full screen but not lose any picture, it will maintain the full vertical picture correctly, but it will be stretched horizontally each side to fill the screen, hence you get massive distortion as if it is squashed downwards.

anyway, its insane, if you want this, the TV manufacturers need to make "cinema" tv's with a resolution like 1920x816 or whatever the real vertical resolution is.

here is a james bond movie which was produced exactly like the ones you are talking about, it displays with black bars on any 16x9 ratio screen, and thats just the way its meant to play, just imagine it displaying the full width, but pushing it up and down to fill the vertical lines, the picture gets stretched up and down, their heads will look like a football

Last edited by glenpinn; 11th Apr 2014 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    the TV manufacturers need to make "cinema" tv's with a resolution like 1920x816 or whatever the real vertical resolution is.
    They already sell such (21:9) TVs and computer monitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio

Of course, jodiac would complain that all the 16:9 TV shows don't fill the width of his 21:9 screen. He should do what movie theaters do: use moveable curtains to cover the unused part of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    the TV manufacturers need to make "cinema" tv's with a resolution like 1920x816 or whatever the real vertical resolution is.
    They already sell such (21:9) TVs and computer monitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio

Of course, jodiac would complain that all the 16:9 TV shows don't fill the width of his 21:9 screen. He should do what movie theaters do: use moveable curtains to cover the unused part of the screen.
    yeah, so he would then need to stretch the 16x9 picture sideways and distort it even more than it would be the other way

but the guy reckons he got it without distortion, maybe it displays the 816 lines to the full 1080 vertical resolution, but as the picture was expanded to fit, it lost some picture from both sides and he hasn not noticed it.

Last edited by glenpinn; 11th Apr 2014 at 12:04.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    but the guy reckons he got it without distortion, maybe it displays the 816 lines to the full 1080 vertical resolution, but as the picture was expanded to fit, it lost some picture from both sides and he hasn not noticed it.
    More likely he's blind and didn't notice the vertical stretch.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    More likely he's blind and didn't notice the vertical stretch.
    yes i agree, this is what you get by trying to fill those black horizontal bars top and bottom when playing a 1920x816 (or whatever size) movie, but maintain the picture horizontally, if someone cant see the distortion then they have a serious issue.

how a 1920x816 movie should play on a 16x9 widescreen tv, i call it "cinema mode" video

1920x816 stretched to fill the screen vertically to fill the 132 black bars top and bottom

if the OP tried to play a 16x9 ratio movie on a an ultra wide 21x9 tv to fill the screen, the opposite will happen where the picture is maintained vertically top to bottom, but gets forced widthways, so the image is squashed in the opposite direction to this image here.

anyway, my brother has his 55" plasma which would normally display a 4x3 ratio picture at full height but because it is more square the sides of the screen are filled with black bars to fill the vacant unused horizontal lines, so he set his tv up so it stretches 4x3 ratio tv shows and movies to fill the screen width, and when i see cars and peoples heads, it looks like they are flattened, and every time i go there and he has something playing like that, i tell him, and he reckons there is nothing wrong with it.

you just cant tell some people, but its a fact, thats how it has to appear.

BTW i have not seen a 21x9 tv or screen here in australia yet.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 11th Apr 2014 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote